Scale Model Airplanes

I just found this site -

And seems that their products are pretty cool. I really love collecting scale model airplanes since I was child. And I'm planning to purchase 2 custom made model airplanes for me and my wife. Have you ever tried collecting this kind of scale models?

Reply to
Raven

Raven wrote in news:1194853356.958362.110250 @y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

While those are neat, I prefer building my own models. I spent a lot of my youth cutting out balsa patterns (no die cut parts back then!), and glueing then papering the airframe. Some of them even flew! A smaller number even flew twice! I guess it was just the times I grew up in, but model rockets took over my interest. I still enjoy building them today, and with the wealth of scale data and pictures available, building and launching them is a challenge. It may seem off-topic, but there's a lot of woodworking that goes into a model, especially if you're designing and building a scale model that YOU make, not from a kit. Nose cones and other pieces need to be turned to exacting specifications, fins and such need to be cut out and shaped carefully (and with respect to grain direction), the whole thing has to be assembled, then a finish has to be applied. Finally, the whole point of the exercise, it has to FLY (again, at least once).

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Ever build any fuel powered U-Control or FreeFlight stuff?

Unless you had an accident, they would fly more than once.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I've built a few (not many) control-line planes. There was a trend way back when, to build speed racer planes. I had a lot of friends that built these.

God must have really loved my free flight planes, he kep so many of them (grin). And my rockets either got stuck in a cloud or He's kept some of them too.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

I think it depends on where you live. The Southwest is really the best rocket and free flight country--few trees, lots of open space. Midwest is OK too if you can find a friendly farmer. East coast there's just too little open space without trees and without whiny officious jerks (we used to fly model airplanes at the schoolyard on Saturdays and Sundays when I was a kid until the owner of the adjacent funeral home complained that the noise was annoying the customers and got an ordinance passed forbidding it--if he'd tried to work out an arrangement with us where we didn't fly on days he had funerals or something we'd likely have been glad to cooperate, but no, he just went right to the town council and the first any of us knew about it was Officer Topsy running us off the field).

Reply to
J. Clarke

I also wanted to build my own model aircraft but I lack the skills and experience. I wish I could build one of my own someday.

Reply to
Raven

Raven wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Try it once, you might find you've got a certain aptitude for it. At the very least, you'll hopefully learn what makes a plane fly and be able to use that knowledge later.

Speaking of planes... If you have a pair of plain planes propelled across parallel planes, can they ever crash in to each other?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Like most things you attempt, learning patience is the most useful skill you will learn.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mon, Nov 12, 2007, 8:57am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ug.the.orc (Smaug=A0Ichorfang) doth sayeth: I spent a lot of my youth cutting out balsa patterns (no die cut parts back then!),

I recall reading an article about when e model plane hobby first hit Roosha. Some enterprising entramanures printed the plane parts patterns on pine, or the equivalent. It was about 1/4" thick. Lot of sawing with a coping saw, probably a bit of thinning too. I guess it made for a very sturdy, and somewhat heavy model, but they did fly - and that was the bottom line. Don't recall where the engines came from, they were all about .049s, if I recall that right. I guess thaty've advance past pine patterns now. Never was that big on flying moel airplanes. Later had a gas powered model VW Beetel I put a RC in. Not very fast but a hoot to play with.

JOAT Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Now where the Hell are my T-shirts?

- JOAT

Reply to
J T

Raven wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Things are a lot easier now. If you just want something to fly, you can make a plane from plastic drain pipe (the square kind) and some corrugated plastic sign material*. If you ant to build a scale model, parts are now die or laser cut so all you have to do is poke the pieces out of the backer sheet and glue them together. Skills and experience are what you get from trying to do things. Sometimes you mess up and fail. You figure out what you did wrong and learn how not to do that, or even better, you learn how to *correct* when you mess up. But ya gotta get out there and TRY!

google for SPAD - Simple Plastic Airplane Design

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Many decades ago, there was an indoor model airplane driven by fly power. The wings were covered by some sort of thin film. You poured the film on top of a basin of water and put the wing frame underneath and lifted out the wing complete with film. Then you caught a couple of horseflies and put them in the refrigerator. When they were quiet you glued one to each wing by their legs. Instant powered models :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The alternate was rubber band power with a low RPM prop.

Problem was you needed a big building to fly them.

Probably where the song lyric " on gossemer wings" came from.

Lew .

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Larry Blanchard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm:

I don't know about the power source, but this construction method is called "microfilming". The film is a form of shellac. The ones I've seen were powered by rubber bands. There are also gliders made this way. They can only be flown indoors because they are too fragile and a moderate breeze would tear them apart.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Hey, those were my combat planes, Gremlins!

Drain pipe, Coroplast tails, and a foam wing.

**
**

B A R R Y

Tue, Nov 13, 2007, 5:00am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Raven) doth mumble: I also wanted to build my own model aircraft but I lack the skills and experience. I wish I could build one of my own someday.

You're no Picasso then. I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

JOAT Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Now where the Hell are my T-shirts?

- JOAT

Reply to
J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:9680-473AC803-3@storefull-

3337.bay.webtv.net:

Can you imagine how an airplane designed by Picasso would look? Or Salvidor Dali? I don't know how a plane with both wings on the same side would fly, or one that was half-melted!

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

F-117

B-2

The F-4 proved that with enough horse power anything can fly.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

You might be surprised--both were classically trained and I understand that either was capable of near-photorealistic portraits if he needed to do them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

innews: snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Thank you very much.. I'll try to educate myself coz' I really want to build my own model someday.

Reply to
Raven