SCA ARMOUR

Add a comma there, please! That would be "Ah, no, weight is required..." There actually isn't a minimum by rule, but practially the helmets weight about 12+ pounds. Avraham

Reply to
Avraham

No, I didn't know about it. I'm really, really on enough Yahoo groups, though, and I don't do much period work, just period things with modern tools. Avraham

Reply to
Avraham

And, after all, what is *more* _anacronistic_ than using plastic for medieval armour? Except, maybe, "A Darth Vader in King Arthur's Court", with apologies to Mark Twain.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Avraham wrote: : Thanks, but that's OK. Most of our shields are made of T6 aluminum, : and some of us (like me!) are moving to shields made of the same : materials as originally used, which brings us back to the actual : subject of the newsgroup. I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw and riser : block so I could resaw basswood (pretty much the same as European : Linwood, if not exact) and make a two-layer laminated shield. :) : Avraham

Doesn't basswood dent like crazy? It's a pretty soft wood.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Shields aren't really meant to be permanent, or at least they weren't

1100 years ago (the time the equipment I'm reproducing is from ). It actually holds up surprisingly well - the only problem my first one is having is the steel rim is coming off. I need to use a different style. Avraham
Reply to
Avraham

Well, carbon-fiber armor and a titanium-edged composite sword to go with it might raise a few eyebrows...

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

(thinking of those tuxes that are printed on tee-shirts)

Chain-mail photo-printed on a long-sleeve shirt, worn over Kelvar undies?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Well, we've always figured we could build a Darth Vader style helm and make it combat legal too. After all it is based on an actual, real, medieval helm

Reply to
Ralph Lindberg

Fri, Apr 29, 2005, 6:33am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) says: BTW, I thought you had left the group? :)

Ain't made up my mind yet, but definitely needed a break from some of the BS.

JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.

- Brander Matthews

Reply to
J T

There are a bunch-o-us that use power and/or hand, according to the best methods we know. Actually I would say the majority aren't Neander's. It's like costumers, how many of them hand sew everything?

Ralph Lindberg

Fri, Apr 29, 2005, 6:35am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) said: IIRC, the SCA doesn't use actual swords for re-enactment, they use rattan sticks. Plywood might work okay for that. And, of course, it would work great for walking around Rennaisance fairs and the like.

Wouldn't be any worse then people walking around in imitation chain mail, made bu painting knitted sweaters with aluminu paint. I've heard that's done often enough.

JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.

- Brander Matthews

Reply to
J T

Fri, Apr 29, 2005, 6:37am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) says: Heh, JOAT, I never appreciated you until just now. :)

Heh heh. Thanks.

JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.

- Brander Matthews

Reply to
J T

Avraham

Reply to
Avraham

That wasn't me, fella. I missed a part about the application because I was skimming, but I was the guy that said the OP should make sure he had the right material, as he didn't seem sure what he was doing. All I saw was the bit about making a "beam" and I somehow got it into my head that he might be trying to make a hoist. FWIW, a building collapsing becuase of poor engineering is liable to kill a guy- a piece of plywood splintering on your chest (or other body part) because you intentionally let someone hit you with a stick is likely to just hurt a lot and get somebody teased a bit. Different levels of caution certainly apply in my mind.

Well sure, if a trained person is using one. Somehow I doubt that plastic would do a whole lot better in that case then anyhow.

Well, that *is* largely true. I do enjoy argument- but at least I try to keep things in context and on-topic, which is more than you can say for a lot of folks in a lot of venues.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

That's certainly possible. Like I said, I was never into that- I just knew a lot of folks who went on and on about it. I believe the event they liked to refer to most often was called "Pensic" (Sp?)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Pennsic. 12,000 or so of your closest friends camping for a week or three in the Pennsylvania summer. It's definitely an experience. Avraham

Reply to
Avraham

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:08:31 -0500, the inscrutable Avraham spake:

--snip--

So was the California Jam in 1974, with 200,000 of my closest friends.

Lake, and Palmer with QUAD sound and I was within 20' of dead center while watching Keith Emerson spin on his piano! What a trip THAT was!

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques