SCA ARMOUR

Page 2 of 2

Fri, Apr 29, 2005, 6:37am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) says: Heh, JOAT, I never appreciated you until just now. :)
Heh heh. Thanks.
JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence. - Brander Matthews

I'll raise you a couple years, but agree with the below, plus 3/4 just plain weighs toooooo much.

I also know people that have bought/made this type of armor, the plastic plates cut the cord and it keeps falling apart. Repairable, but a pain in the, ah repair time.
As for shields I have had excellent results from the following method. I take a sheet of 1/8 in door skin and attach (nail) it to a shield press. Then fiberglass the face. Once it is dry, remove and cut to shape. Then fiberglass the back and twice more on the face. Lastly round the edges and fiberglass that.
The shield is lighter and lasts for years (5+ years very active)
PS, I spent time with two of your ex-pats, Earl Cire and Countess Elizabeth
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 05:33:25 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg

stands up the blow strength there. My period-materials laminated shield does fine here, but I don't know how it would do out there. Avraham huscarl, Calontir

Yup, actually there as been some effort to reduce the level of blows. When Cire came back from a Gulf War, having gotten in trouble for what they thought was an excessive blow we all had a little laugh. Cire is not known for real hard hits, just solid firm ones. BTW, do you know about the Yahoo-Group for period/sca/medieval wood-working?
TTFN Ralph (aka Ralg, insert alphabet soup here)
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 05:25:39 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg

groups, though, and I don't do much period work, just period things with modern tools. Avraham

There are a bunch-o-us that use power and/or hand, according to the best methods we know. Actually I would say the majority aren't Neander's. It's like costumers, how many of them hand sew everything?
Personal email snipped-for-privacy@amsat.org (@callsign.net's a SPAM trap)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:28:14 -0700, Ralph Lindberg

I've applied, it should be interesting. Avraham
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:49:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Never was a member of the SCA, but I've met plenty of folks who were (or claimed to be, who really knows?) and the impression I got was that they were not allowed to use plastic armor in any case, as it was not availble during the periods of time they were re-enacting. Most of the abovementioned folks made armor from leather soaked in parafin wax or (if they were *really* into it) hand-hammered iron plates. But you're right in any case- plywood would be kinda neat.
BTW, I thought you had left the group? :)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus wrote:

There are plenty of SCA sites on the Web that discuss this. Plastic is a bit controversial but not in general prohibited. Safety first--if it's the only way you can afford to engage in combat without getting hurt then so be it. There are some other kinds of combat sport that require authenticity, but SCA isn't all about combat, that's just one of their activities, and they are not the "Society for Maintaining Historically Accurate Anachronism", they are the "Society for _Creative_ Anachronism".
You might be confusing SCA with reenactment groups, which are much pickier about such things.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

And, after all, what is *more* _anacronistic_ than using plastic for medieval armour? Except, maybe, "A Darth Vader in King Arthur's Court", with apologies to Mark Twain. <grin>
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:40:19 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Well, carbon-fiber armor and a titanium-edged composite sword to go with it might raise a few eyebrows...
Lee

(thinking of those tuxes that are printed on tee-shirts)
Chain-mail photo-printed on a long-sleeve shirt, worn over Kelvar undies?
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Well, we've always figured we could build a Darth Vader style helm and make it combat legal too. After all it is based on an actual, real, medieval helm
--
Personal email snipped-for-privacy@amsat.org (@callsign.net's a SPAM trap)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:43:41 -0400, "J. Clarke"

That's certainly possible. Like I said, I was never into that- I just knew a lot of folks who went on and on about it. I believe the event they liked to refer to most often was called "Pensic" (Sp?)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:39:20 -0500, Prometheus

three in the Pennsylvania summer. It's definitely an experience. Avraham
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:08:31 -0500, the inscrutable Avraham
--snip--

So was the California Jam in 1974, with 200,000 of my closest friends. http://valseven.tripod.com/ladiesofthelake2/id28.html Emerson, Lake, and Palmer with QUAD sound and I was within 20' of dead center while watching Keith Emerson spin on his piano! What a trip THAT was!
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
Fri, Apr 29, 2005, 6:33am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) says: <snip> BTW, I thought you had left the group? :) Ain't made up my mind yet, but definitely needed a break from some of the BS.
JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence. - Brander Matthews