Sawzalls and recoil

Page 1 of 2
I am comparing two sawzalls: DeWALT-DW307-Reciprocating-Saw and Bosch RS20-XC. The reason for this is to pick which one to get rid of. I have this old Dewalt and very cheaply bought a new Bosch ($50).
DeWALT DW307 can be seen here: http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/misc/ebay/DeWALT-DW307-Reciprocating-Saw/ebayhist.html (it shows as a forsale page, but it is not for sale)
Bosch RS20-XC can be seen here: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Anyway, Amazon lists numerous complaints about the strong vibration and recoil of the Bosch reciprocating saw.
My main question is, are these complaints even well founded, or is the recoil inherent in a very powerful reciprocating saw?
Could anyone share first impressions from the Bosch, does it really deserve the bad rap that it received?
Ignoramus26581 wrote:

I haven't used either of those two units, but the Milwaukee Super Sawzall (which I have) has an internal counterbalance weight to help counter vibration. I think the bottom end models may not have this feature. You might check to see if either of the units you have has a counterbalance. Other important features are tool free blade changes and shoe depth adjustments. I know PC has that funky swivelable head, but in many years with the regular super sawzall I've run into few if any tasks where that feature would be useful.
I tried both tonight. The vibration is same. I will keep the new Bosch over the used DeWALT.

I bought one of these at a yard sale a year ago. I used it 3 times to cut 3/16 steel plate.
I used it properly and with lubricant, and the proper blade.
It blew out all the teeth in the drive. It started with one or two..and then ripped all the rest of them off in an orgy of self destruction.
So I grabbed my well worn, dirty, grungy, dinged 20 yr old Milwaukee, and finished the job..and the 30 or more jobs since then
Ya takes yur changes....
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Could it be that the "garage sale" seller knew a little more about this saw, than he let on?
On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 10:56:01 -0500, Ignoramus25005

Given that the case, the blades and the saw itself were covered with sheetrock dust, and the other items in the yard sale were sheetrock related, mixing trays etc etc..I assumed that the saw hadnt seen much rough duty..cutting holes in sheetrock seldom taxes a decent hand tool.
Ive put it up on the RoundTuit shelf, and will open it up on a rainy day this winter and see if I can get replacement parts from DeWalt.
Today, Im playing with my (new to me) Millermatic 35..AND the beautiful and minty Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC welders...
All scores bartered for a bit of labor and expertise in machine tool repair...and maybe $45 in gas money <G>
Anyone heard of a Tregaskiss Tough-Gun? Its on the Millermatic 35.
Damn that welder has a small main transformer though.....
Gunner
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 12:59:49 -0700, Gunner Asch

"Well, there's your problem..." ;-P
I've been beating on the DeWalt 18V cordless recip saw (first gen) for years, no problem.
(Well, except for loaning it to a cow-orker and getting it back missing the bent-T 5/16 hex key, not noticed till next use...)
Just had to plunge cut a 2X4 at a 45-degree angle because the drywall hole wasn't big enough for the 5-1/4" DeWalt circ saw to cut it out, just enough to get a starter slot at the right spot - bent a 45 degree twist in a 6" 4/8T blade and had at it. The 4-gang box dropped right in the notch.

It is possible, I've done it many times.
The hard part is identification, since they don't like handing out the exploded diagrams. And since they shut down the Woodland Hills DeWalt/B&D repair depot where I could just walk in and look it up on their computer, point and say "Order two of them, one of this..."
Now the closest depot is in North Orange County somewhere.

My turn - You Suck! ;-)
If you see anything in another medium sized engine-drive go by, let me know. My brother came to me with a "Great Deal!" on portable generators that turned out to be the old scam - "We're selling these used for cheap because we put fuel in them and ran them a few hours as demos, and we can't ship them back to the factory with fuel in them."
Typical Chinese knockoffs that you will never get parts for in a year or two - not without making them yourself. Disposable power equipment.
--<< Bruce >>--

Well, there ya' go. Never lend a tool to a cow-orker. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress
@optonline.net says...

...and everyone says Harbor Freight tools are useless. ;-)
--
Keith

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 19:09:07 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
I'm sure Bruce can relate to this...
"Hey, let me borrow your dikes for a minute." Sure, just don't go cutting any hot cables with them. Couple minutes later. BZZZZZZT!!! "Snort, hee-hee." Hey Leon, here's your dikes back...
Funny thing is I still have that pair 30 years later and other than a burnt spot and a few other scars they still work pretty well :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Handed a guy that was working for me brand new 24" Ridgid bolt cutter and specifically asked him to make sure that none of the wires that we were cutting out for the rehab were hot.
First cut produces a big pop and a spark and he's standing there looking at the smoking hole in the cutter.
Still got the cutter and never replaced the blade. He cut it near the tip - who knows why?
Since I always cut near the hinge it doesn't bother me that much - except for reminding me of that knucklehead every time I use them.
Been twenty five years and the knucklehead memory won't go away.
tom watson
4ax.com:

Spouse cut the cord of the iron to the length she wanted with her sturdy scissors. Of course iron was plugged in to warm up. This was in Utecht, Holland as a fresh(wo)man in college in '63, or '64. The 220V produced enough current to melt an 1/8" hole in one of the scossors' blades. She still remembers the shock. Unfortunately the scissors stayed in Holland when we moved to the US. Spouse's vitality has remained unaffected by this event and all others following.
--
Best regards
Han
Leon Fisk wrote:

Sounds dirty but isn't?
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 15:13:00 -0400, Leon Fisk

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 15:13:00 -0400, Leon Fisk

Had that happen once with a Craftsman screwdriver that a worker borrowed (without stating why, naturally) and then deliberately stuffed into a J-box and stirred it to see if it was live or not - and it was. 240V 3-phase 60A for a refrigeration compressor, so it took half the blade and a big chunk out of the shaft.
Idjit couldn't just ask for a Wiggy like a normal person...
There's a very effective response, helps if you are one of the Leads on the job and have a little leverage:
"Lunch is in a half hour, there's a Sears 5 minutes away. You are going to start lunch early and go buy a new screwdriver to replace the one you just melted, because they aren't going to warranty it. If they are out, you are going to go to Catalog and order and pay for it. And then you are going to stay late to make up the time. This is not an option - Move."
Smart guy, he moved. Might have learned, too. I use mostly Klein now, but the same theory holds.
A man's tools are sacrosanct, your tools are your living.
Accidents happen, and tools do wear out. But if you borrow it and break it (and it wasn't wear) or lose it, you bought it. Payment plans or professional repairs accepted, but you will make it good in the eyes of the owner.
And now I ask "Why?" when people want to borrow the wrong tool.
--<< Bruce >>--

    [ ... ]

    Did he get any burns from that? At least he certainly got some respect for what that level of power could do.
    Hmm ... I do remember once -- on a dare -- cutting a live power cord. I told him that I would do it only if I could do it with *his* dikes, not mine. (120 VAC outlet, 20A breaker, linoleum tile floor, rubber sole shoes, dikes held far from my eyes.
    It was not nearly as spectacular as your case -- and I knew what to expect -- even with uninsulated handles on the dikes.

    :-)
    Of course -- the fellow who dared me could get a new set easily -- government job and Army supply chain. :-)
    [ ... ]

    How do you know that is the wrong tool until they answer your "Why?"? :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 8 Oct 2008 02:16:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

It's a kind of sixth sense. You could call it Deja Blue (Corona), or Deja Blew... - you just get the feeling that there's an ulterior motive why they want to use your tool rather than one of theirs.
Or a very good reason why nobody in a position of authority allows them to possess any tools, usually because they can't even figure out which end to shove through the meaty part of their palm...
--<< Bruce >>--
On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 15:42:14 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman

Ive a 3000 watt that has Honda stickers all over it. Unfortunately the model number sticker is for a big Honda genset in a soundproof housing...after I took it in trade.
Its been working ok, hundred hours or so on it, but...it aint a Honda, though its a clone.
Gunner
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

I know this is a UK site but it may be of some help in identifying the parts you are after.
http://www.powertoolspares.com
or you could try
http://www.2helpu.com
Regards Stuart
--
Stuart Winsor

Ha! Join the club. I just brought home a DeWalt circular saw from a garage sale. I was looking for a manual on line and there is a recall on it!!! I suspect that the guy who sold it to me really did not know as the whole thing was caked in what I take to be sheet rock dust. Some of it has formed a new rock formation of its own. So he must have been using it...
I was going to put a steel-cutting blade in it and have a go but I am having second thoughts.
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC