SawStop vs. Bosch-- Let the Games Begin!!

Page 2 of 3
Leon wrote:

Roland Johnson gave a great 1 hour talk on the art of refurbishing ancient cast iron hand planes at the woodworking shows. Do you like the wooden ones or the cast iron ones better? ; )
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 23:50:57 -0400

I have never had or used a wood plane aren't they usually larger in size so they have enough mass to give a consistent cut
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 20:36:38 -0400

No evidence to prove which That safety features make operators more responsible or it makes them less responsible
there are mountains of data that show drivers of cars with ABS were driving more aggressively and taking more risks with stopping/breaking
operators need to know the machine and what to expect and think through what to do if the saw does the unexpected
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:11:38 -0400

Fine by me
On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 12:13:09 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

Correlation does not imply causation.
I haven't studied the data, so this is a question, not an argument:
Does the data clearly show that the drivers were being more aggressive *bec ause* the vehicles had ABS?
One could argue that along with ABS came many other technological enhanceme nts related to handling, performance, etc. and those enhancements contribut ed more to the increase in aggressive driving than the ABS. Better braking systems in general may have contributed to more aggressive driving/braking, but can it be shown that it was specifically the ABS?
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 17:00:58 -0700, Electric Comet

And the brake mechanism, about $200 all in. OTOH, when you pull your hand back, you'll be happy to reach into your wallet with it. ;-)
<...>
On 3/18/15 8:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

You'll do the same with the Bosch, except you'll be right back to work after switching the brake firing mechanism around because it works twice, instead of once. PLUS you won't be out a blade.
--

-MIKE-

Sure. Wake me up when it comes on a real saw.
On 3/18/15 8:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

I don't know about you, but I don't want to carry my cabinet saw out to a work site.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/18/2015 8:56 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

No kidding.... I think it was very wise of Bosch to go for the contractor market as those guys are the ones that spend the most hours in a day and working in locations that are not great. Between Bosch and SawStop I think there is going to be faster acceptance/switch to these saws than the stationary units.

Maybe but I haven't seen a table saw at a (new construction) job site in probably fifty years. The last two homes we've had have been in new developments, so construction is all around us. Not a table saw to be heard. ;-) With all of the alternatives, today, why would one be needed? Construction isn't cabinetmaking, after all.
On 3/21/15 11:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Funny, I see them around here all the time. Mostly flooring guys using them to rip.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/21/2015 11:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

You see plenty of TS's at remodeling jobs and especially ones where prefab cabs are being torn out and replaced with job built.

The above video was clearly of new construction rough carpentry.
On 3/21/2015 5:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Well you know, you may not have a complete picture of how all trades operate everywhere in the country. While I agree that there is less need for a TS the way homes are built these days true custom homes still have trimmers and carpenters that use TS's on site. Swingman built a custom home about 5 years ago and while he and I did prebuild the kitchen cabinets off site he did have a bench top TS on site. I highly suspect flooring guys would have one too given the fact that you are going to have to rip some pieces. And, both SawStop and Bosch both now have similar saws intended to be used on construction sites with built in stands that go up and down stairs. I doubt that either flipped a coin for deciding whether to target this market with their product or not. And given that, with a safer portable TS available the tide may change and contractors may decide to have a TS, which can rip and cross cut, vs. a miter saw that can only cut to length and a circular saw for ripping.
snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote in

Did a big remodel (with addition) a few years back. I had a table saw on site, and the contractor/carpenter used it extensively. Especially for flooring
Cabinetry was done offsite, and I did the trim & baseboards.
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

I don't either but I solve that problem by carrying the work to the saw. ;-)
On 3/18/2015 8:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

But as you well know the double use feature will create a false sense of security. ;~) You know when when you have a flat tire and open the trunk and realize that the spare is on the ground already. ;~) The cartridge trips and no worries until you realize that you have already performed the hot dog demonstration once before. ;~)
It is a cool feature of not damaging the blade but if that feature is important to you, you have my nod to buy that particular saw to begin with. It sounds like you already know you are going to need it.
On 3/18/15 11:25 PM, Leon wrote:

That could be said of the SawStop, too. I have no (hot)dog in this race, but to me if all other things are equal, the Bosch wins. We won't know until some of the magazines and websites do some good side-by-side comparisons which one is a better saw, taking into consideration aspects other than the safety-brake.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/19/2015 9:32 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I was just kidding. ;~)