Sawstop--the wrong marketing approach?

Page 7 of 13
ted harris wrote:

I once met a fellow who had two Nobel Prizes in Physics. One time some psychology department or other decided to evaluate his IQ. According to him it was 96.
I'm sorry, but the fact that a certain percentage of the population has a certain IQ does not justify a set of laws that run so many pages that you need a forklift to move the set.
--
--John
In typed:

Yasser Arafat had a Nobel Prize as well...
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

And all his fingers.
ted harris wrote:

Not in physics he didn't. And not two of them.
--
--John
In typed:

Are you kidding me...?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
J. Clarke wrote:

"Not quite true" eh? What part, exactly?
What is the harm, you ask? If you don't see the harm in using the power of the government to force people to buy a product that they don't want, I suppose there isn't much basis for a continued discussion.

Doug, do you propose that we eliminate all building codes and let the "free market" dictate what we build? Eliminate required safety equipment on autos, airplanes, etc. and simply leave it at "buyer beware? Drop requirements for standards of care in hospitals and simply let the free market decide what quality of surgery you get?.... and many other examples?
I suspect that many "free market" folks would be at the head of the line screaming for government help in your world.
Doug Miller wrote:

(when you top-post like this, I can't respond to your message with Doug's as context.)

You are putting up a straw-man argument, assigning to your opponent a point of view he has not stated so you can drag it back down.

I suspect that he will also recognize and reject your use of a cheap rhetorical tactic.
Dave Hinz

I'm just ignoring him, Dave. <g>

That's certainly the easiest way to recognize and reject it, then...
I suppose the best way to avoid subtlety in thought is to avoid thinking....
Doug Miller wrote:

I asked a question. I did not assign any point of view. And it is not a "cheap tactic." It is a fair question to pose to those who argue that an unfettered free market is a good thing. Let's see if he responds... as you did not.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Indeed it is... but I did not argue that an unfettered free market is a good thing. That's *your* strawman. I said no such thing.
Nor did I say that you said so. I simply asked what the limits were of your distaste for governmet regulation. Am I correct to assume that you think that government regulation can be a good and necessary thing? If so, we might have a reasonable discussion about the merits of regulation in this particular instance. If not, then you must oppose the other examples that I raised.
Again, so what if they use government to impose the adoption of someting that the free market did not want... if the imposition is a good thing. Your suggestions seemed to be that such an approach was categorically wrong. Am I misunderstanding?
I am simple asking if encouraging the government to adopt any such regulations if acceptable to you. If it is, let's talk about the merits of StopSaw rather that the use of government to impose regulation.
By the way, technically speaking, this is a "counter example", not a straw man. It is a fair and valued approach to philosophical investigation.
Doug Miller wrote:

Yes, _and_ you're still top-posting.
Dave Hinz wrote:

And you are still evading anything that looks like an actual response to my post. No surprise that you clip my post as well as a part of the dodge. Sneaky!
In typed:

Right, and the petition was rejected. Now they are manufacturing their own line of tooling with sawstop. Besides, the free market never decided they did not want it, it was once again the manufacturers lack of concern for the safety of the consumer that decided they did not want it. How is that a failure? We' shall see if the free market wants it or not.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

As it should have been.

So now you claim to be privy to the manufacturers' decision-making processes, and in your omniscience you can state with certainty that their rejection of SS was based entirely on lack of concern for safety. Economic reasons had nothing at all to do with it.
Riiiiiiiiight.

In typed:

You are finally starting to get it! For the manufacturers who all look at dollars and cents above all else, they simply put safety and the costs of rigging to accomodate sawstop on the scale, and lo and behold guess which one they chose. Let me give you a hint, it ain't safety. Corporate America chose the dollar over consumer safety yet again. Go figure!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com