Sawstop--the wrong marketing approach?

more to the point is the time from when the tools were advertised for sale and when they were delivered.

In typed:

Okay, but Grizzly did not spen several years developing anything either, nor did they spend several years to market their product to manufacturers. And I believe that Grizzly had its finances in order. And Grizzly was not going against the "powers that be!" And, by the way the website looks to me, sawstops original intent was not to make machiery, only the sawstop. It also looks like the only way that the inventor could bring this to market was enter into the machinery design and distribution business. Not really an easy task for a guy that already has acareer and has a family, huh? Sounds to me like sawstop worked their ass off to get to this point. I find it to be an inspiring chase for the American Dream.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

I'm glad you're inspired, but ask yourself this question: Why did SawStop choose to announce it was manufacturing its own saws months -- at least -- before they would start shippng?
This is unusual behavior in the woodworking industry to say the least. Most products are announced at trade shows about the time they are available for order by retailers and that's usually within 90 days of shipping the first units.
One explanation for this behavior is that it is a common method of sucking investors into a project. Sometimes that's a legitimate, if risky, strategy. Sometimes it's the mark of a smoke-and-mirrors artist.
You might want to stop romanticizing these guys and apply some of the same skepticism to them you like to show to the 'powers that be.'
The more I look at this the more questions I have.
--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

He may be having trouble raising venture capital. But that means that the venture capitalists are smelling a rat.

--
--John

Oh, bulls**t. Since when does the American Dream include petitioning the government to make your product mandatory after it fails in the marketplace?
Sounds like the Attorney Dream to me.