Sawstop--the wrong marketing approach?

Page 11 of 13  
typed:

and
maybe?
equipment.
Ted,
You are so passionate and your argument is so well reasoned that I'm going to give it a second look. Do they have one for hammers?
-j
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J responds:

LOL. With the table saw, the unit drops back into the saw's underside, a particular emphasis and part of the sales pitch. I kind of wonder how that's going to work with radial arm saws, miter saws, et al. Obviously, the brake mechanism can be easily varied. But dropping the unit below the table top? Man, that variation is NOT going to be easy with a radial arm saw!
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In typed:

Looks to me like on units where the blade cannot be retracted, such as a bandsaw the brake is the only option, such as a bandsaw.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Charlie Self wrote:

I just had a vision of hitting something unexpected with a circular saw and having it fly across the shop... ;)
-BAT
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In typed:

As opposed to your argument that is based on supposition and falsehoods?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Perhaps you can point out where my argument is false. Be prepared to supply facts.
-j
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You mean like your supposition about the reasons that manufacturers don't put SS on their saws?
Are you really a SS employee? You're certainly pushing them pretty hard here on the group (and you seem to be the only one, too).
scott
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In typed:

Here it comes... Yeah I work for sawstop...LOLOLOL! My website, shop, and the fact that I have been in business for years is all just a setup so that I can come here to this newsgroup and debate with 10 guys in the month of December in the year 2004. Hahahahahaha!
What I am pushing here is really not about sawstop. It's about all the skeptics and naysayers that come out of the woodwork (pardon the pun) when something better comes along, all the while being unwitting pawns of the manufacturers. Wake up man!
P.S. This debate reminds me of the tobacco manufacturers/smokers debacle...I mean, we are all addicts too, right!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:42:20 -0800, "ted harris"

This presumes that SawStop is indeed better. The evidence that it is is extremely limited and comes almost entirely from someone who stands to make millions if it is adopted.

The debate reminds me of some of the inventors/stock promoters I have known and the gullible souls who got sucked into their schemes.
--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
ted harris wrote:

So have you ordered your Sawstop saw?

Huh? I don't smoke, but I resent being told that I can't. Again, it shouldn't be your choice what I do. This business of "no smoking in bars" is just going to end up encouraging organized crime. Even with a Constitutional amendment they couldn't stop drinking in bars, all that's going to happen is illegal "smokeasys" are going to start opening, and when they do that, since the proprietors are criminals anyway for allowing smoking on the premises they'll probably say to Hell with the whole body of law, then organized crime will step in and you've just created a new source of income for the mob. If people don't like smoking in bars they should go to different bars. Nobody ever died for not going to a bar--it's not like anybody is forced to go out and get drunk. But nonetheless we have those laws on the books. Further, I find it ludicrous that tobacco companies are forced now to pay for airtime to say what the government tells them to say and forbidden equal time to give their own side of the argument. And even with all this the anti-smoking zealots want more. Personally I got turned off on the whole anti-smoking thing ages ago.
--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In typed:

That about sums it for you... .-- Ted Harris http://www.tedharris.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Whether SawStop is, in fact, "something better" still remains to be seen. Time will tell. *IF* the company ever starts shipping product, that is.
-- Regards, Doug Miller (alphageek-at-milmac-dot-com)
Get a copy of my NEW AND IMPROVED TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter by sending email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com You must use your REAL email address to get a response.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

How many people buy a sawblade from the manufacturer of the saw when they need a replacement? Not many. A lot of woodworkers buy third party blades when the saw is new Those that leave the factory blade on their saws will most likely just drive down to the borg and buy a replacement blade when they need one.
Frank
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Frank Ketchum wrote:

But who said that the cartridge has to be universal? Could be like batteries for cordless tools. And there's a much better case for it being that way than there is with cordless tools.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In typed:

More unresearched supposition...
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
ted harris wrote:

Where is the "supposition"? Are you claiming that there is some natural law that requires that the cartridge be identical for all saws? Or that there is some compelling reason other than making bucks for there being different contacts on each brand of battery of a given voltage intended for use in cordless tools, or that since the sawstop would have to be engineered into the saw it would give the designer greater freedom to be able to specify the shape of the cartridge to match the particular design of his housing?
If you have a point to make, make it. Otherwise sod off.
--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
My problem with the saw stop is definitely their marketing approach. They designed a product, good or bad is your own choice, then they did demos and touted the product and all sorts of marketing techniques. For whatever the reason, probably cost, the woodworking community was less than enthusiastic about the product. Then, if I recall the order correctly, they tried to force the manufacturers to install the product on their product. Failing that they decided to market their own saw, at the same time lobbying to get a law passed requiring the product be put on new ( and old?) saws.
I may have some of the facts screwed up a bit but the gist of it is the same. All in all, it is NOT a product I'd have any interest in. I'm 67 years old and have been making noise and sawdust for over 40 years - still have all ten complete digits.
Just MHO,
Vic Baron

a
occasionally.
visit
hospital
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I've been driving for nearly 40 years and have never been in an accident where having a seat belt saved my life. Yet, I'm still glad that my car has them.
--
Hank Gillette

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

If I get to 67 - and I'm not that far away - I will see even less clearly than I do now, my reactions will be even slower, my strength will have diminshed even further, my thought processes will be slower, and my sense of balance will be even worse. So I will assume that the chance that I will have a digit-subtracting accident will be considerably higher than when I was 35.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
GregP responds:

Jeez, boy, it doesn't happen that fast for most of us. I'm 66 and so far, my powers have been reduced, but cataract surgery brought the eyesight back (better than ever), I haven't fallen into a tool yet, and I do things a shade more slowly--and stay off motorcycles--to make up for slower reaction times. I'm not as strong as I was 15-20 years ago, but I'm not lifting weights 6 or 8 hours a week any more either.
Woodworking doesn't have a whole lot to do with reaction time unless you screw up. And the need for strength is over-rated, though I can still walk a 500 pound saw around the shop without much trouble.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.