SawStop Test

Same with Oldsmobile. There are those that do, those that watch, and those the throw stones.

Reply to
Leon

Befiore retiring from the automotive industry I was the GM of an AC/Delco/3M wholesale distributorship. The company was quite successful, the father and son owners retired as millionares, and we NEVER divulged our sales volume to any one with out a need to know interest. Why invite competition to see what a great business we had? SawSop survived 2 or 3 years with no sales. I suspect that with revenue coming in that the chances of survival are more likely. I suspect that SawStop began delivering units because there were many more people willing to give the product a chance than not.

Reply to
Leon

Obsession? But sure, that would change it from being something I can't buy if I wanted to, to something I *can* buy if I wanted to. Do you see the distinction there, Ted, and how it's rather significant?

The context you switched, where someone said it was just a matter of time before someone sues Delta or whoever for not putting this on their saws.

What, that I should sign up for vaporware? I don't suppose you're still waiting for Microsoft Bob, are you? There's no point in getting on a list for something when there is no estimated date of delivery.

I call 'em as I sees 'em. Too bad you don't like that.

Just checking. You'll note I didn't imply you were.

So, when can I actually go out and buy one of these, I wonder?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"first batch" is a pretty significant hurdle to overcome, Ted. One could use the term "pre-production units". Having spent more than a little time in manufacturing, I'm acutely aware of the difference between pre-production and actual manufacturing.

Are you?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Just a comment on Studebaker, but that "first Studebaker" was a farm wagon hand-made by the brothers Studebaker in their smithy and sold in 1856.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You were a reseller. Why the heck would anyone care how many parts you pushed through ?

Reply to
GregP

That model fits a large number of the dot coms that are no longer with us.

Reply to
GregP

If they changed the wording on their website to "order" instead of "pre-order," would that make a difference in your obsession?

Who threatened a lawsuit?

What personal insult? Just fact...

Meantime, all you do is take the peanut gallery-ish approach...

Zip, zero, zilch, nada...and for the slow ones...NONE!

Reply to
ted harris

People like you cannot differentiate between a simple number like 49, and

949...it won't make a difference how many they send out, will it Dave? There just ain't no pleasin' a guy like you.
Reply to
ted harris

Funny you should mention it, Dave. If you had opened your eyes instead of your mouth, you might have clicked on the link and learned something, instead of sticking your foot in your mouth yet again. Too bad you are to busy knocking others for the hard work they do, while being a Monday morning quarterback...all the while making no relevant contribution whatsoever. I just so happen to manufacture, market, and sell a product that I make ENTIRELY from raw materials. And, yes, I am aware of pre-production and actual manufacturing, but you are obviously not.

Reply to
ted harris

Why don't you ask Sawstop? Let me guess...

Reply to
ted harris

Yeah, but dot coms were largely based on vapourware and rhetoric. Now that SawStop is shipping, (at least a few machines anyway), I think it will be a whole new ballgame.

Reply to
Upscale

Not necessarily. Businesses succeed on marketing, not technical excellence (see for example Microsoft). The fact that they've shipped a few machines doesn't mean that they'll ship enough to keep the lights on.

I've seen a lot of little companies that had excellent products go under because the owners didn't understand that in order for someone to buy your product they first have to know that it exists.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Umm. To make money and retire a millionaire and or retire at 40 like me. We certainly did not want any one cutting into our business. We had a very unique nitch in the market as we competed with our supplier and sold parts cheaper than our supplier, General Motors, selling to the GM dealers. Yes, we bought parts from GM and sold to GM dealers for less than what GM dealers would pay directly from GM. It was really stupidly simple and the business lasted for 25 years before the competition caught on. Most AC Delco wholesalers sold to the lower priced auto parts stores, jobbers, and small shops. Now that SawStop has committed to building the saw vs. licensing the product to other manufacturers they will want as little competition as possible and the best way to keep that from happening is to not let the secret of sales volume get out.

Reply to
Leon

There was nothing wrong with the Dot com companies except timing. 5 to 10 years ago the stock market was performing better that we will likely ever see again. Investors were coming out of the wood work to invest. The market was WAY over saturated with investors and many of the dot com companies which basically had no assets were FLOODED with money from investors, money managers, and investment companies. When sales of these start up companies did not meet up with investors expectations the investors pulled out. This left the dot com companies with no operating capitol. It would be like investing 50 million dollars into a single corner convenience store.

Reply to
Leon

Because they haven't updated anything on the website. If that was your guess, you're right. Why don't I sign up? I don't like sales weasels, and they'll invariably call and pester once they have contact information.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm not knocking anyone for any work they've done, I'm asking if/when they will get to real production.

So, let's test your concept of pre-production. Do you consider the

49 saws that we know of, to be a production run, or pre-production units?
Reply to
Dave Hinz

Unless you work for SawStop and know their business plan you would be a fool to think you knew the answer to that question. It could be either.

Reply to
Leon

You have an excuse for everything.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, that link. Whatever...I didn't see it as being so important as to be given the title "The Link".

My foot is comfortably on the floor, thank you. Having a business doesn't mean you understand what differentiates prod from pre-prod.

I've looked at their website on a weekly basis or so. Something as significant as "you can buy them now" would, one would think, be mentioned there.

I'm not the one trying to get the government to require something that can't be bought, Ted, they are.

Does that sentence fragment mean that you consider them to be in production at this point, or not, Ted?

Evasion noted.

Reply to
Dave Hinz