SawStop Test

Page 2 of 4

Yeah, but dot coms were largely based on vapourware and rhetoric. Now that SawStop is shipping, (at least a few machines anyway), I think it will be a whole new ballgame.
Upscale wrote:

Not necessarily. Businesses succeed on marketing, not technical excellence (see for example Microsoft). The fact that they've shipped a few machines doesn't mean that they'll ship enough to keep the lights on.
I've seen a lot of little companies that had excellent products go under because the owners didn't understand that in order for someone to buy your product they first have to know that it exists.
--
--John

There was nothing wrong with the Dot com companies except timing. 5 to 10 years ago the stock market was performing better that we will likely ever see again. Investors were coming out of the wood work to invest. The market was WAY over saturated with investors and many of the dot com companies which basically had no assets were FLOODED with money from investors, money managers, and investment companies. When sales of these start up companies did not meet up with investors expectations the investors pulled out. This left the dot com companies with no operating capitol. It would be like investing 50 million dollars into a single corner convenience store.
In typed:

People like you cannot differentiate between a simple number like 49, and 949...it won't make a difference how many they send out, will it Dave? There just ain't no pleasin' a guy like you.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

"first batch" is a pretty significant hurdle to overcome, Ted. One could use the term "pre-production units". Having spent more than a little time in manufacturing, I'm acutely aware of the difference between pre-production and actual manufacturing.
Are you?
In typed:

Funny you should mention it, Dave. If you had opened your eyes instead of your mouth, you might have clicked on the link and learned something, instead of sticking your foot in your mouth yet again. Too bad you are to busy knocking others for the hard work they do, while being a Monday morning quarterback...all the while making no relevant contribution whatsoever. I just so happen to manufacture, market, and sell a product that I make ENTIRELY from raw materials. And, yes, I am aware of pre-production and actual manufacturing, but you are obviously not.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

The Link?

I'm not knocking anyone for any work they've done, I'm asking if/when they will get to real production.

So, let's test your concept of pre-production. Do you consider the 49 saws that we know of, to be a production run, or pre-production units?

Unless you work for SawStop and know their business plan you would be a fool to think you knew the answer to that question. It could be either.
In typed:

Yeah...do you have to be spoon fed for the rest of your life? The link in my signature. If you had clicked on it, and read a little about my business, you would not have not asked that question, hence putting your foot in your mouth.

For like the zillionth time, why don't you ask Sawstop?

Well, could you make one? or two? or three? I certainly think that 49 production of their product. However, since I do not know what the number they have produced is, I won't speculate.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Oh, that link. Whatever...I didn't see it as being so important as to be given the title "The Link".

My foot is comfortably on the floor, thank you. Having a business doesn't mean you understand what differentiates prod from pre-prod.

I've looked at their website on a weekly basis or so. Something as significant as "you can buy them now" would, one would think, be mentioned there.

I'm not the one trying to get the government to require something that can't be bought, Ted, they are.

Does that sentence fragment mean that you consider them to be in production at this point, or not, Ted?

Evasion noted.
In typed:

Of course YOU don't see it as important, just as you don't see it as important that Sawstops ARE BEING DELIVERED in spite of your arrogance.

Your absolutely right. However, having a business that manufactures, markets, and sells it own product does mean that there is SOME understanding of the subject we are talking about, which is MORE than I can say for you.

There are plenty of "buy now" buttons on ebay. Perhaps you should be shopping there.

You are an asshole.

Okay, somehow the "producing" and the "is" got left out.

It wasn't an evasion. I guess my expextations of others are a little high, especially in your case. Okay, producing 49 saws is production of Sawstop saws.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Yes, a small batch of units are being delivered to...general public? Specially selected? People who pre-ordered? Sawstop employees pretending to be customers? Who knows.

You have no knowledge of my background and no basis for such an _ass_umption.

Can't get a sawstop there, now, can I.

Love you too, baby. Evasion noted.

Figured such, which is why I came to the conclusion I did. So you consider this batch of saws to be a production run? Where's the next batch then?

Usually production runs are, you know, ongoing. But whatever.
In typed:

Wait a minute...you have enough time to write hundreds of responses requiring countless hours here regarding sawstop, yet you don't have 1 minute to compose an email to them for info? What is your motive?

On the boat? Where do you think they are? Floating around in cyberspace, prolly.

You mean I can't call up a manufacturer and order 49 saws, or 5,000 saws? I have to keep buying them forever? This is pointless.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

If one could actually go order one, don't you think they'd say so on, you know, their website?

Another non-answer from Ted.

It was pointless a while ago, Ted.
In typed:

In your own words...EVASION NOTED!

In your own words...>ANOTHER NON-ANSWER FROM DAVE!

EVASION NOTED!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

No evasion, Ted. Why should I write an email to ask them what I can find clearly posted on their website; that they aren't accepting orders yet? "Hi, I see on your site I can't order a saw yet. Can I order a saw yet?" Maybe that's your communication style, but it's not mine.

That's great. Now you've gone from pointless, to mildly amusing, to a parrot.

Your caps-lock seems to be stuck.

I called Sawstop for the heck of it since I have no intention of replacng my Unisaw.
They are currently shipping all of the preordered saws. A saw ordered today would be expected to ship in April or May.
I didn't ask how many have been sold, but the production rate seems really slow or they have a lot of saws to make.
Brian Elfert
In writes:

There you have it, Dave...You can expect to have it shipped in April or May. Does not even cost you a penny to "pre-order." If you decide you don't want it,. no payment is required. Now let's see if your serious....LOL.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:10:26 -0800, ted harris wrote:

Is pre-ordering anything like pre-drilling?
- Doug

When have I ever said "I'll buy one when they're available", Ted? My point is, and has been, that I can't order one, yet they want to force the government to require their technology.
Nice try at redefining my point, though.