Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography

Page 2 of 3
On 1/18/2011 7:48 PM, Steve wrote:

LOL ... someone finally got it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
βœ–

Kinda doubt if you will see that on Discovery! :o)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ahh..., the "push stick" test.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jan 18, 9:38 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

====GUARD REMOVED FOR CLARITY==== . . . . Do NOT try this at home.
Add pictures here
βœ–

...and you'd want to see that video? Hmmm. And wouldn't a true endorsement be in a true life situation? I don't know too many nudist woodworkers. Sawdust gets in the pubes and other places that a dust collector would refuse to go.
βœ–

I don't want to know HOW you know that so intimately. TMI
Add pictures here
βœ–

I went into one of those Nude Furniture stores while they were making some furniture. I thought the nude had to do with furniture without a finish on it - my mistake. =:O
βœ–

Okay already...we know it works. But what I am hearing, from all over, is that it is an exceptional piece of equipment as a saw. Right up there with General 650 etc.
A 'TRUE' endorsement of the builder's confidence would be if he were to demo it with his dick. THAT would be cringe-worthy... after all, he's got ten fingers.....
Impossible!
Let me ask/tell you something here, where are you going to find anything but a limp weiner to face the spinning blade. I think even the most inflated ego would soon result in a deflated weiner regardless of which d'erection it approached a spinning saw blade.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Shoot, an out-ie might even turn into an in-ie!
--
Jim in NC

Add pictures here
βœ–

I have seen that several times and knew the outcome. But it is still hard to watch again.
RonB
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you watch closely, not much was at risk. He approached with the tip of his finger. Worst that could happen would be a cut, not severance of the finger. He also touched the side of the blade, not the tip. That demo was a trick.
Steve Tahan.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 01/19/2011 10:34 AM, SteveT wrote:

So you're man enough to have just stuck your finger right on in there, eh? He went farther than I would have been able to go.
Surely by now we have some real-world accounts of how the Saw-Stop has saved somebody from serious harm? Or do we only have demos to reassure us?
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I had read some accounts from people who really slipped. They related an 1/8" cut needing only a bandaid for first aid.
--
Jim in NC

Add pictures here
βœ–
I am sure he wanted to limit the damage, should more than designed occur but he did wait until the sweat from his hand triggered it, unlike a real "accident"
I would like to see a piece of steak swung into the blade at a "real" human reaction speed like somebody jumping back from a kick-back pulling their hand back as fast as their nervous system will react. My guess is it would still mangle the finger but not take the second one off. My felling is nobody slowly feeds their finger into the TS blade a a slow speed. Accidents are when the "shit hits the fan" and the human reacts, nervously.
wrote: Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v
γmzhvMgrLE&NR=1
Add pictures here
βœ–
 That demo was a trick.

OK, it is an electrical circut completion that triggers the safety brake right?
What if you have no contact with the table top but just the blade? Notice his hand is resting on the table top. What if you are using a wooden sled? Does it stil work? What if you are standing on a rubber mat?
Just wondering.
All that said, I too am pretty sure next new TS purchase would have to be a sawstop, especially if I go into a business situation where I am asking\hiring others to run the tool. Fortunately I don't thnk anyone is making a saw any better. The commercial Sawstaop is a beautiful fricking saw, brake or not. Not worth an extra grand on it's own but the brake feature is worth a finger, a new blade and hunk of aluminum.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's capacitive, like those lamps where you touch the base to turn it on or off. Your body has electrical current. You could be wearing rubber soled shoes and it still works. You don't need to be grounded.
βœ–
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

OK, somewhere I saved one of the Patents...ah, here's the pertinent section from the Disclosure section--
"The detection subsystem includes a sensor assembly, such as contact detection plates 44 and 46 , capacitively coupled to blade 40 to detect any contact between the user's body and the blade. Typically, the blade, or some larger portion of cutting tool 14 is electrically isolated from the remainder of miter saw 10 . Alternatively, detection subsystem 22 may include a different sensor assembly configured to detect contact in other ways, such as optically, resistively, etc. In any event, the detection subsystem is adapted to transmit a signal to control subsystem 26 when contact between the user and the blade is detected. ..."
AFAIK, the only ones on the market use the capacitively-coupled embodiment rather than resistive or optical.
Primarily the physical causative factor of the body capacitance instigating trip is owing to the water content of flesh; one of the features of the saw (at least initially, I presume still is altho I've not looked at one in detail since shortly after initial introduction) is a bypass switch so it won't be triggered falsely when cutting, say, construction treated tubafores or similar that are wet. Of course, using that is a conundrum since it prevents a real trip if one were required as well...
That's probably more than I know... :)
I _think_ all are based on passive capacitance change as somebody else similar to the lamp switch effect. There are active capacitative proximity sensors, but they're measuring a field change.
βœ–
On 01/19/2011 01:18 PM, dpb wrote:

What if you're a dried up old fart?
one of the

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/19/2011 3:23 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Don't buy an iPad, or other touch screen device ... ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 01/19/2011 04:52 PM, Swingman wrote:

No wonder I can't make the damn things work...
Add pictures here
βœ–