Page 1 of 3
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v
γmzhvMgrLE&NR=1
Add pictures here
βœ–

Awesome! And a bit cringe inducing.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
βœ–
"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

A bit? My wife and I were almost curled into balls on our chairs.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Balls? I'm hoping mine drop back before my wife gets home from work!
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
βœ–
"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Heh, it was agonizing to watch even with the Sawstop guy being really, really careful not to risk serious injury even if his product had malfunctioned. Some things just go against every instinct.
Add pictures here
βœ–
A side note: The pinky and ring finger carpal bones are flexible within the hand, allowing for those fingers to best grasp and hold objects.... pretty important tasks for those fingers. The thumb and forefinger (and the middle finger) carpal bones are ridgid, within the hand, and are most used to manipulate objects, also pretty important tasks. The middle finger is "least important" for grasping and/or manipulating objects. He "sacrifice" his least important finger on his left hand. I'll bet he's right handed, too. I wouldn't think the camera's being on the right side was coincidence, either.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–

If nothing else (and there really is nothing else) losing the middle finger would at least give you and others a standing joke to work with. "What was the toughest part about losing your middle finger?" "Learning to drive again."
Interesting observation, though. Which finger would someone pick to lose if they had to lose one? I'm guessing pretty much everyone would pick the pinky.*
* Good grief - my spellchecker just flagged pinky.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The (pinky, pinkie?) 5th carpal digit is the strongest grasping finger. Grab your (opposite) thumb and squeeze with each 5th, 4th and 3rd digit, individually, and see which applies the most force. The pinky is a keeper, even for your lesser dominant hand.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–

The pinky gives your right hand something to rest on the banjo head.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/20/2011 4:48 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

Earl uses both ring and pinky ...
<g>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Sonny" wrote in message

I don't believe he risked any finger. If the Sawstop mechanism had failed he would have had a little nick on the end of one finger, but the blade wouldn't have been able to grab enough meat to haul his hand onto the blade as his finger was just barely within reach of the tip of the teeth. But it still gave me the creeps.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've seen the hotdog demonstration many times and often wondered "if it's so great, why isn't anyone using their finger instead of a hotdog?" Now I know.
In order to instill faith in a product, it's creator must apply a true life scenario. He did, I'm convinced.
Good video.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That reminds me of the demo the guy that invented the ground fault interrupter circuit was to said have done.
He grabbed one hot 120V wire, with the ground in a pool, and jumped in.
Balls, in both cases.
--
Jim in NC

Add pictures here
βœ–

What I haven't seen yet is a real-life slip and a quick hand into the whole blade. I'll bet it would do a whole lot more damage, albeit saving most of the hand.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/18/11 11:08 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I bet it would be exactly the same. They do the quick push with a hot dog and it doesn't even cut the casing.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

Ever read about the first public demonstration of the Otis Safety Elevator?
"By 1854, [Elisha] Otis was exhibiting a working model of his invention at the Crystal Palace Exhibition in New York. When his rising platform reached the top, 40 feet above the assembled crowds below, he had an assistant dramatically cut the hoist rope and, like a good showman, bow to the gasps of the onlookers when the elevator did not fall. The New York Tribune called the demonstration "sensational" (labeling Otis, "Mr. Safety Elevator Man")."
http://www.tomsoter.com/node/176
Add pictures here
βœ–

Okay already...we know it works. But what I am hearing, from all over, is that it is an exceptional piece of equipment as a saw. Right up there with General 650 etc.
A 'TRUE' endorsement of the builder's confidence would be if he were to demo it with his dick. THAT would be cringe-worthy... after all, he's got ten fingers.....
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/18/2011 7:06 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Yep!
Particularly if it didn't reach the blade to start with ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

The punch line is "Cold -- and deep!"
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:48:52 -0500, Steve