Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Page 10 of 13
On Oct 9, 12:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's funny. I remember doing the same thing - sticking out my foot to break the fall of the inanimate object. I don't recall when I stopped doing that, but I'm sure it was an ouch! moment that did the trick.
RicodJour wrote:

Glad you qualified your actions with "inanimate." I could just imagine you around babies...

It was 2 months before I could wear a work boot, and over six before I had a toe-nail again. Those old 2 stage brass regulators were HEAVY!!!!

What ever happened to the good old days when you did something stupid it was your own damn fault!
News' mention of Mark Twain's quote "First, we shoot all the lawyers" should definitely be the first step.
On 10/8/2011 9:42 AM, Han wrote:

The ignorant laborer is not the only ignorant one involved in this whole fiasco.
The twelve jurors, that were present during the testimonies of the ``real`` story, were all complete idiots or all paid by the SawStop people to support them. I am sure the people here are all better informed what actually happened than any stupid jurors could possibly be.
American justice is just a crock anyway. Why bother.
---------- "Han" wrote in message
The ridiculously frivolous suit of an ignorant laborer injured because of stupidity has been upheld at the Appellate Court: http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/pdf.opinions/10-1824P-01A.pdf
--
Best regards
Han

Par for the course, you know shit. That fact is that it's a lawyers job to take an existing lawsuit and fashion an argument that logically appears to fit that case. Along with a measure of induced sympathy, stupid or not, jurors often find for a plaintiff.
The American justice system makes it too easy to sue someone. That has advantages and disadvantages. Jurors are required to rule on the case at hand and are not legally responsible if a particular decision has wide ranging repercussions ~ which will or is about to happen with SawStop and will also be exacerbated by the insurance industry in an effort to protect themselves.
On 10/9/2011 9:56 PM, Josepi wrote:

You are a classic example of stupid is as stupit does.

Note the witl^Hness for the ignorant worker, Dr. Stephen Gass.
Could he be angry that Ryobi didn't follow through with their contract with him?
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 10/10/2011 8:20 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Was there ever a contract with them? Angry? Why on earth wpuld he be angry?

Negotiations failed (supposedly over a typo) and he lost them as clients. Why would he be mad? Go figure. My guess is that they had premature buyer's remorse since he failed to cover liability issues.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spencer, 1891
"Osorio largely relied on the testimony of his witness, Dr. Stephen Gass, inventor of "SawStop,"
Neat trick. You invent something, can't sell it to the industry, so you get people to sue in hopes of forcing industry to adopt your product/design. Then again, it just may have been a slick attorney that turned Gass onto this idea. We may start seeing Ambulance Chasers advertising on This Old House!
Ah, America . . .
On 10/9/2011 11:19 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:

Really no need to sell it to the industry, SawStop is selling more than it's share of TS's by a wide margin.
@swbelldotnet says...

If there's "no need to sell it to the industry" then why is there a need to regulate the industry into buying it?
On 10/10/2011 8:35 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

After beaucoup years, we _finally_ agree on something! <g>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
--------------- "J. Clarke" wrote in message
If there's "no need to sell it to the industry" then why is there a need to regulate the industry into buying it?
On Monday, October 10, 2011 6:35:41 AM UTC-7, J. Clarke wrote:

Depends on WHOSE needs one wishes to meet.
Unsafe or careless users of saws ... Woodsaw manufacturers who don't have any technology that could replace Gass's patent,.... Gass and Sawstop ... Institutions with responsibility-for-people issues (schools, insurers)... Folk who have good safety habits and see no problems...
So, whose needs are most vital in the minds of CPSC? I'm thinking that 'unsafe or careless users' demand most of their attention. That's because they look at consumer safety, naturally. Twisted boards, loose knots, guards removed and 'too fiddly' to replace... there's lots of learning to do before one is ready to use a tablesaw safely.
The statistics that guide CPSC are all about the folk who learn the hard way. I know and love some of those kind of people: think of the children.

Gass *IS* the slick attorney.

Nothing personal in any of my remarks. To wit:
Too many of the fine people here comment from the basis of their own heart/beliefs. This is where you are all so wrong. Law school teaches one to detach from whatever morals you may have/ had. Focus on money. When you lose a case, money is ok, when you win a case, money is better.
THERE IS NO MORAL FOUNDATION IN LEGAL TRAINING.