Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Page 4 of 13
On 10/9/2011 11:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sounds like the saw worked as designed. Was there much rust on the TS top after that experiment?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nope, the table top was always protected with a good coat of boe-sheild - which APPARENTLY is not an insulator.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Oct 9, 5:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But what about the inside of the saw? The hidden parts that are coated with a absorbent layer of sawdust sponge would be the real problem. Then again - that's one way to keep the dust down - mist it! ;)
βœ–
On 10/9/11 5:11 PM, RicodJour wrote:

F'N OAK RUUUUUUUUUST!!!!!!!!
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
I'm not a patent lawyer, but don't the major tablesaw manufacturers only have to delay things for 20 years or so until the patents expire?

βœ–
On 10/10/2011 10:15 AM, Larry W wrote:

I believe it's still 17 years ... but that can be changed by lobby pressure on clowngressman, as they are doing with copyrights.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Man, that's a scary thought. Funny how Congress can stall for months over a health care or budget bill, but when their high-$$ campaign contributors want to get something done...

βœ–

No, it's 20 years from date of patent filing with the USPTO. It used to be 17 years from date of issue, but it was changed some 20ish years ago to fight "submarine" patents. ...a good thing.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org says...

Sorta kinda. Gass is a patent lawyer--he knows the tricks--when the intial patent expires he can patent some minor "improvement" that if worded carefully enough can still give him control.
Add pictures here
βœ–

perhaps, redefined value of "work"), the improvement doesn't extend the patent. He could always buy another congresscritter to help redefine "work", however.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Upon universal application of SawStop, the conventional wisdom will be to wear rubber gloves when sawing to prevent the $300 rupture of the moving parts.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/9/2011 1:02 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Eggsactly! ;~)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 01:02:11 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

It's not a problem because the saw comes with a switch to turn off the sensor. Of course, I'm waiting for the day that someone turns it off, forgets to turn it back on, loses a finger, and sues SawStop for letting it happen.

βœ–
On 10/9/2011 12:59 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

That will be interesting, hopefully the jury will send a message to the stupid.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It doesn't give that option. Every time you cycle the power the bypass resets and you have to turn it off again if you want it to stay off.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 17:59:37 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

production because of the "false triggering" problem??
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/9/2011 4:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It has always been there, the designer was an avid woodworker so he knew what would be needed. Additionally I inquired about 10 years ago before the saw was available as to whether the stop would engage after the saw motor is turned off, it does.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Leon wrote:

Wonder what happens if you're using the saw in a light rain or heavy fog? What if you spill your beer on the work? How does it function if you're using your saw to cut meat?
A hush falls over the crowd...
Add pictures here
βœ–

The sad thing is that those are real questions about real issues for you.

Now if only that hush would fall over your posting.
Replying to your other inane post: Beater often equals appropriate. A beater is the item that you don't care about as much, not that it's crap. I don't own any crap tools, I give them away or donate them to Habitat and they make the choice whether to use them or sell them. My beater Makita has been with me since ~1994. It has been downgraded honorably due to it's long term, slightly annoying service. I still hate it, but it does what it asks and only makes _me_ complain. My beater bicycle is worth more than your 1990 Chrysler soccer mom van, but it's my beater bike and I don't worry as much leaving it locked up somewhere or letting someone borrow it.
You know there's another possibility for you - buy a Festool track saw instead of the SawStop. They're a safer saw with a retractable blade and a riving knife, but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to fuck up the saw and remove them.
See? There's always hope and there are always alternatives.
βœ–
On 10/10/2011 7:57 AM, HeyBub wrote:

What if you are stupid enough to ask such questions???
Add pictures here
βœ–