Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Page 3 of 13
snipped-for-privacy@indy.rr.com says...

Bunk-y, do learn to read the crap you link before you use it in support of your argument.
On 10/9/2011 8:47 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Edison "was content to let the market take its course"? You should read up on what Edison did to Nikola Tesla.

Gets real expensive and real difficult real fast.
You can't beat stupid. Make something idiotproof and they just come up with a better idiot, and another dozen lawyers.
On 10/9/11 12:22 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Everything I've read says it's not a problem. Even so, here's the real issue. Who's cutting soaking wet wood with a table saw anyway? There are too many other concerns for me to be using wet wood before I would even approach a table saw with it. If you're using wood that's wet enough to set off the sawstop, then you deserve to pay the stupid tax.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Try building a PT privacy fence. A. PT wood is VERY wet B. Many times pickets have to be cut to fit C. The solution, I suppose, is a circular saw.
On 10/9/11 7:14 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Everything I've read on their website and from 3rd party accounts says PT wood isn't a problem unless it's so wet it's spraying a mist when cutting. My questions is who is using a $3000 table saw and $100 blade to build a deck and why?

Again, who's using a table saw for this?

zactly. Why the discussion? :-)
--

-MIKE-

Now that must have been a difficult thought process! I don't even use my good circular saw on PT wood - the wood doesn't warrant it.
BTW, have you ever paid more than $150 for a tablesaw, new or used? You're the Harbor Freight guy, so I tend to doubt it.
RicodJour wrote:

Uh, how do you get it to fit, gnaw the wood? Use a hand saw? Forget that idea and erect chain-link? Screw the whole thing and let your chickens go free-range?

No, but I'll have to if SawStop has its way. I did buy an economy table saw (used) just two days ago for $30 from a Craigslist ad.
It's going to be my retirement investment.

Notice the comparative modifier in there? I use my beater saw to cut beater wood. It's the same one I use to cut concrete with a diamond blade if I don't have the cutoff saw. It's an old Makita 5007 that refuses to die no matter how much I torture the poor sucker. The thing hates me with a passion and I reciprocate the sentiment.

So the SawStop - indeed any new saw - won't affect you at all. Got it.

First they came for the Jews...
RicodJour wrote:

I take "beater saw" to mean one that will stand up to great abuse. Clearly, that does not include a SawStop model.

All it takes for bad men to triumph is for good men to do nothing. But you and I share a sentiment: You cling to your 5007 to avoid a SawStop while I stockpile current generation models.
On 10/10/2011 7:52 AM, HeyBub wrote:

No by definition a beater is one that you don't care what happens to it, no great loss if it gets torn up.
On 10/9/2011 7:14 AM, HeyBub wrote:

That is why I always use/used a circular saw for all cuts on the 30+ fences that I have built. And no not "all" PT wood is very wet, I often used kiln dried PT to guard against excessive warping.
Leon wrote:

I agree. I stack fence wood in the garage for a couple of months, then take the warped pickets back to the vendor. Drying like that minimizes the gaps between pickets if they dry on the vine.
Sill, there are times, such as repairing a broken picket that the neighbor's dogs have knocked down...
On 10/9/2011 4:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I really did not have the luxury of letting PT wood set for months. I was being paid for these fences. My experience with building fences taught me to buy better materials to start with, namely cedar pickets, I use PT for ground contact, posts, bottom rot rails, and for the 3 rails to attach the pickets to. No warping with 3 rails and the PT rot board on the bottom prevented morning due from wicking up the bottom of the pickets. The rot board also eliminated the need for a string to level the tops of the pickets.

OR, turn off the sensing circuit.
Steve wrote:

Rule of systemantic (or why "systems" fight back): Fail-Safe systems often fail by failing to fail safe.

club when a guy had wiped down a peice of wood to accentuate the grain so he cood see which side he wanted to be "exposed. He wiped it with a damp rag, put it into the saw, and BANG!!!!!!
On Oct 9, 12:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's interesting. That kind of fits in with SawStop's what-I- thought-was odd instructions to let wet wood dry for only a day. I'm guessing that the sensor reads surface moisture only. There's no point in monitoring capacitance/moisture once the blade is halfway through a finger.
Let's keep talking about it, reverse-engineer it, patent the rec.woodworking alternative, and we can all buy our own islands. Or for those who object to making money while doing good, donate your islands to charity. ;)
In article <b2311670-c21a-4a98-bb64-7b6ad3817270

No, you'll be battling Gass in court for the rest of your life, because he's the sort who'll keep the suits going until somebody kills him.