Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71?78

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A suit, with no basis whatsoever, was filed against this little company on which I am a board member. The company was incorporated as a holding company setup to pay oil and gas royalties, from their pooled land, to the stockholders who bought shares in the company in the early 1940's for retirement purposes.

The service of the original notice of this suit was blatantly falsified; the little company's bank account was seized by a default judgement because notice was never served and no one in the company, run by the old folks themselves, were even aware of the suit.

As a result, the company was forced to hire the other lawyer in the county to defend itself against said suit, try to get their wrongly seized money back, and to defend against the suit after it was proved the original service had been falsified.

The entire action was found so egregious by a jury, that the judge, suspected to be part of the scheme, had no choice but to issue a judgement against the plaintiff and his attorney, All three of the lawyers involved (both parties attorneys, and the judge) were high school good ole boys from the same town.

No one went to jail. The plaintiff's lawyer bought an airplane very shortly afterward (obviously from the proceeds of his "legal" gain (after paying the judgement against him, and after splitting with his cohorts) and killed himself in one of his first flights ... good riddance, a little justice from above.

For the record, for a number of years I personally supervised eleven attorneys, all of who worked _directly_ for me. There is _nothing_ I do not understand about the breed, their training, their blurring of the distinctions aforementioned, and their ability to make a mockery of the judicial system, as above, as well as the laws, supposedly written "for the common good" by themselves in the legislative branches of our governments.

I have yet to meet a lawyer who would not take advantage a "legality" because it was the wrong, immoral or unethical thing to do ... once again, they are trained that way, making the practitioners of this sly art engender some of the most despicable practices of evil in human nature that have ever existed.

Their trite, condescending comeback is that you hate them until you need one ... I argue that if there were far fewer your need would be a damned sight less; and if the laws they promulgate were written in a moral, ethical manner in the first place, it is arguable that any need would be a rare occurrence.

Reply to
Swingman

NOT the same thing, the suite did not go against him.

Reply to
Leon

As another, more publicly notorious, lawyer recently said: "that depends upon what the meaning of "is" is.

Nuff said ....

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah!

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps the lawyers that go in for political office are not typical of lawyers in general. Perhaps it was that whatever you were doing attracts a certain type of lawyer.

Yet they're out there. You just haven't had a need for them and/or you might have political differences with their objectives.

RicodJour

Yeah, and the lying sack o' s**te SOB was disbarred shortly thereafter, despite not being impeached.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Once again the law is being used, for purposes of greed, to prevent a useful product from practical application. I don't know about the rest of you, but adding such a huge required expense to an average table saw, makes it fall into the category of unaffordable for me! Great idea. Love the concept. Have cut both thumbs numerous times, and definitely appreciate the value of such a device. Unfortunately, $3,500 puts it nicely out of my price range. It is also unfortunate that it will most likely become "required equipment" because of the frivolous lawsuits by the less than adequately equipped end users, only by virtue of the fact that they can muster enough reserve intellect to dial a phone, and contact a greedy and unscrupulous lawyer. As I recall, most of my generation was given "Wood shop" in school. Our teachers NEVER let the dumb or immature students anywhere near the "REAL" machines. They somehow knew that these individuals needed to be protected from their own stupidity, rather than the dangers of the machines. I think they used to call it "Common Sense!" As I already stated, " Some of us are just too prone to accidents". I admit I fall within this category! It only took the slightest lack of attention, for the briefest of moments to incur my two past injuries. But I am just bright enough to know how dumb I can be. I went out and bought a new and improved pushing device the first time I got cut. The second time I got cut, I actually started to use it. If this type of device was made affordably, I'd likely go for a new machine that was equipped with it. JUST DON'T FORCE IT DOWN MY THROAT! I still believe that, as a real American, I have certain rights. I have the right to be ignorant and stupid! I have the right to make poor choices! I have the right to enjoy the thrill of impending danger, and the joy of escaping fate on a regular basis. I know this all sounds positively insane, but it is TRUE! No matter how many safety devices get invented, or how much money gets made by manufacturing them, we Americans will find a way to circumvent the intended resulting safety level that such devices imbue. Just look at the record. The original saws consisted of a mandrel and flange that supported a blade, and the whole thing was marginally attached to some type of makeshift support frame. Then the saw was improved with an enclosure and table to prevent the operator from getting clothing and limbs entangled with the blade and belts. That's right . . . the BELT used to cause as many injuries as the blade at one time. A good strong steam engine driving a leather belt could snatch you right into the darn thing in an instant! Next came a rip fence to keep the wood being fed into the blade on a true path, preventing MOST incidence of kickback. Still happens on occasion because some of us don't know to check the moisture content or the grain of the wood we work with. Add a trunion to the system, and we lost a lot of the injuries caused by overextension of the blade above the table. Still managing to mame ourselves with these tools, somebody came up with the blade guard systems we all know and love. I don't know of anyone who uses a table saw that wasted any time in eliminating that one. Even the ones made with lexan, and including anti kickback devices never proved to prevent the great American will for freedom to prevent most of us from taking them off, and throwing them in a drawer someplace. We do reserve the right to be stupid! As stated earlier, this new device is no exception to this fact. Improper use of inadequately dried lumber negates the intended application of this new device. So why should we all be forced to pay for it. Somehow, the lawyers have saturated our society with the belief that we can litigate and legislate our way to some type of perfect and safe existence. It is simply not so. We are armed with certain rights that prevent this. We are an ingenious people, who will find a way to harm ourselves regardless of what legislators and lawyers attempt to do in order to protect us from ourselves. Just like the "Shop Teachers" of old, there is always going to be the one fool who finds his way into the path of danger and destruction. So why bother? It all generates money, plain and simple. Lawyers get lots of it! Legislators have a reason to exist! A few Americans will have a job, for a little while, till a Chinese company takes over production (they will have to in order for ANY table saw to remain affordable) , and an Indian company takes over the support services. And somewhere along the line, a few of US may even be prevented from harming ourselves. That is, till we find a way to bypass the darn thing, and save the expense of ruined blades and expensive cartridges. AT SOME POINT, WE AMERICANS MUST BEGIN TO EXERCISE COMMON SENSE! Great job coming up with this invention, but get realistic about your greed, and try to exercise a bit of compassion for those of us who would like to be able to afford such a device. Try to behave like we actually do care about our fellow man, and his welfare, and the profits will come. The inventor of the flush toilet didn't try to make a huge amount on every single toilet, but I'm fairly certain that American Standard, and the other manufacturers are still doing quite well. Edison lost out on the whole DC current thing, but his light bulb did ok for a long time. What I'm saying is simply this . . . If you have a quality invention, it WILL make you a LOT of money. That is the nature of capitalism. But if you make a quality device, that is of benefit to the very safety and welfare of others, you have a moral obligation to offer it at a REASONABLE price. I know the law says otherwise, but lets face it, the laws are written by unscrupulous people who have no conscience or other goals except their own wealth and prosperity. Are you, as an inventor, willing to lend yourself to such an ideology? Or are you going to follow your conscience, and do the right thing with the God given blessings that helped you to invent such a device. I can't help but think that such inspiration comes to a person from something higher, and for a noble reason beyond our base frailties of greed and malice. No doubt, it has been a frustrating path dealing with the corporate giants that have fought you along the way, but why take a stance that prevents the average guy from realizing the added safety such a tool could provide? We didn't do any of that to you, and some of us at least would like to see this device in practical use. I am, admittedly, one of the dummies who would find a way to bypass such a device. But I would like to see it as an OPTION for my next saw. Who knows, I could develop wisdom at some point? It took two cut thumbs to get me wise enough to use a proper push tool. That guy got his $69.00 from me, but it was in my time, and at My choice. A good invention, is a good invention. Market the thing fairly, and people will find their own way to it. That is the American way. We just don't like having things forced on us. I for one would go to any length to avoid paying a single dime for one of these devices if the legislators try to force it on me. Heck, I just gave up on my old pre catalytic converter vehicle. Darn things just add more expense to an already expensive item! :)

Reply to
kaylward

Once it does, the price will drop as competition and volume bring the prices down. Probably new technology too. It is the end of the cheap $99 saw though.

Ever go to one of the car cruises like we have every summer weekend? Those pre-cat cars may be a thing of beauty, but they sure do stink. I cannot imagine how we survived the 50's and 60's breathing all that crap.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

------------------- Isn't that redundant?

Herbert Spencer very wisely stated "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools."

The answer is simple: GREED. Rather than be remembered as somewhat of an altruist who put his wonderful (albeit flawed) invention onto every brand of saw (and make millions from reasonable licensing and per unit fees for the next couple decades), he chose the greedy way, wanting a couple hundred dollars PER SAW (plus mfgr costs for the device) from each manufacturer. They balked and the rest will go down in infamy. I'd hate to be part of his family. That name will be shit for eons.

Huh? My pushsticks were either $3 from Grizzly or HF or they were free, using cutoff scrap from my projects. What'd you do, buy one of those ghastly overpriced holders called the Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrripoff? ;)

You are not alone in those feelings. Had he been fair, no doubt the gov't would have mandated its use immediately. If they do so now, expect a horrendous backlash.

I'm still nervously awaiting the straw which breaks the public's back. I'm amazed that the Occupy situation isn't an armed conflict yet. I was amazed that Obamacare didn't start another American revolution. I just hope that when the straw breaks it, that we don't end up with a racial riot as well as a political one. When the public reaches critical mass, anything can happen. Are you prepared?

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's doubtful. The Nobel name hasn't suffered all that much from it's dynamite past. History generally ignores the little guy, and 90% of the populace couldn't care less about a table saw.

I have a space blanket.

RicodJour

First toilets, then incandescent bulbs, now cheap table saurs.

Thank you, America, for giving us Canadians yet another export product!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

We followed them at wider distances and at lower rates of speed then, Ed.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Lower rates of speed??? The max speed on the Mass Pike in the early 70's was 75MPH, IIRC.

Reply to
Han

Yeah, and the min is 95mph, now (JoyZee Pike, too).

Reply to
krw

Where'd you get '70s when he was talking about '50s and '60s?

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wasn't in the US before the fall of '69 ...

Reply to
Han

(tilts head)

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I believe it was in the 70's the Federal Government mandated the 55mph speed limit, and the state's had to use their own police to enforce the law. Yes, the same Federal Government that forbids states to enforce their immigration laws.

Reply to
Jack