Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Look for instructions on the web on how to defeat SawStop, thereby saving $100 or so on the false positives.

Defeating the required SawStop will be as common as removing the blade guard and might be as simple as clipping a couple of wires...

Reply to
HeyBub

That should be just about as effective as clipping a couple of wires inside your computer to circumvent Windows registration. Sheesh.

BTW, who exactly is "defeating" the SawStop? A business? An individual?

Let's see how that works... "Oh, I'm soooo sorry for you accident, Mr. HeyRube, but we at Northwest South Federal Insurance and Bowling have investigated the situation and since you "defeated" the safety mechanism, you're shit out of luck. Would you be interested in adding your autos to your insurance policy?"

RicodJour

In a nutshell. The SawStop guy came out swinging from the get go, the manufacturer's balked, and it's moved on to the next round. Too early to tell who the winner will be, but I wouldn't bet against the guy with the deepest pockets.

RicodJour

It still works! Somewhere I learned to use my left thumb to guide the saw at the start of the cut. I got an entra lesson for the small cost of a band-aid and I will henceforth hold that thumb higher.

I'm on the verge of getting some wood carving gouges. I wonder what they will teach me...lol. I read a good tip yesterday, "Never catch a falling gouge...stitches are even more expensive".

That left the poor sod

Reply to
Bill

Merceces-Benz licenses their antiskid braking patents at no charge (or did while they were still in force, they may be expired now). If Mr. Sawstop was really all that interested in preventing injury instead of lining his own pockets he'd do the same.

Reply to
J. Clarke

ABS were first used in airplanes in the 30's or 40's. Chrysler had anti-skid technology in the early 70's. Bosch and Mercedes collaborated in the late 70's and MB rolled them out in the 80's. Not quite the same thing as having a totally unique technology. I'd also be very interested to see where they gave away their technology when there were already competing technologies out there. That's not the purpose of a patent and it makes no sense from any angle. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything about it - do you have a link that I could check out?

Please don't attribute some moral lapse in not taking the high road to a guy that all the major manufacturer's told to get lost. Anyone would have a bone to pick with them in that situation, and now he's set on making his point and teaching them a lesson. After all - he's a LAWYER. Lawyer's don't necessarily differentiate between making money and doing good. They're not automatically mutually exclusive.

As far as Gass' position, I could see him negotiating downwards once the regulations come out. It would be in his best interests to make the money while he can as numerous billion dollar companies can afford to lawyer-spank anybody. And it would be in the major players interest to avoid lawyer fees and work with existing proven technology instead of losing time in development.

RicodJour

I did have a good idea but no longer recall. Right now Bosch has indicated that the cost would be $55 for their bench top saws.

Reply to
Leon

And every false trigger that I have heard of was taken care of by SawStop.

Reply to
Leon

Contact SawStop and ask them how many false stops that they have not helped the owner out with. From what I have always heard by those that had a story to go with the situation, SawStop always provided the replacement parts.

Reply to
Leon

It is at Sawstop's discretion, and I have heard of cartridges that were not replaced, and where the user could not identify a real cause for the trigger. I also do not believe that the blade is covered, and it is quite thoroughly destroyed. Furthermore, the user will need to stock replacement cartridges in anticipation of a trigger when working to a deadline. This all adds costs to the user above and beyond the license fee.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

I had heard numbers like $800 on the price of a cabinet saw.

Reply to
krw

Do they fork over $125 for a new blade, too?

Reply to
krw

Some time back I was working in the lab and a soldering iron fell off the bench. I automatically moved my hands and feet outward so that it fell harmlessly to the floor. My boss happened to be watching and was amazed that I didn't try to catch it. "Boss, it's hot!" ;-)

Before using any dangerous tool it's good to think; "now if this falls...". It's really no different than thinking about where a knife is about to go if it slips.

Reply to
krw

wrote

Same thing for blacksmiths. I was watching one work once and he told me he dropped a piece of hot metal once and tried to catch it. It cured him of that habit forever. To this day, if something falls in the house, he just lets it fall. To the chagrin of his wife.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Yeah I have heard those numbers too, but not from a manufacturer.

Reply to
Leon

Not sure but I recall some one saying that one must take responsibility for ones mistakes.

Reply to
Leon

I'm sorry, but Gass is a self-serving s*****ad. If you think otherwise you're a damned fool.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nice! They charge you double the regular rate for a saw of that particular quality (an extra $1,600 or so) and then give you a couple $50 freebies to make up for it. Whatta guy!

-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Who's he supposed to be serving - you? It's his fookin' business, and he gets to run it any way he sees fit. I don't give a rat's ass about Gass and it's not a popularity contest anyway.

There's an old saying, "You can't blame a guy for asking." He's asking the CPSC for something. It's up to them whether they say yes or no. Nobody's holding a gun to their heads.

Your righteous indignation is misplaced, and mis-timed. Your beef shouldn't be with him. If you have a beef it should be with the CPSC

- IF they essentially pass a SawStop mandate. That's a big if. When and if that mandate happens, then you can tell me I told you so. I won't be holding my breath.

RicodJour

No, the government is supposed to be serving me and by trying to get it to force businesses to buy his product he is subverting the free market.

It would be fine if he was content to run his own business, what makes him a sack of shit is his attempt to run everyone else's business as well.

You most assuredly can blame a guy for asking. Or would you be perfectly cool if some guy with AIDS asked you if he could f*ck your daughter in the ass?

That's a separate beef. He should not be asking.

Reply to
J. Clarke