Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Page 2 of 13

By all reports, the current Unisaur isn't selling so well, either. There are others.

I linked to a price sheet in my earlier post, but the aim there was looking for the lowest price. Dayum, Delter sure is proud of their saws nowadays! http://www.toolseeker.com/WdWkMac/TableSaw.htm Griz and the majority of the rest, even the Lagunas, are under $2k.
Oh, I see that SawStop finally has a sub-$2k saw on the market. I thought they were all about $3500. I sit corrected.

Um, -now- who's got the bug? ;) BUT, Leon, do you feel that the lawsuit we're discussing here is good and just? Or do you feel as most of us do that it's a farce and a complete miscarriage of justice?
Safer tools are a good concept and I'll likely buy some when I'm ready (read "funded"), but not from SawStop. To say that I dislike Gass' tactics is a major understatement.
P.S: You'd shit if you saw Dina's (my saur) gaper of a top. She's as safe as a square cutterhead. My crosscut sled saves me from it most often.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 10/9/2011 5:23 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

If you are talking about the dip that cut his finger off and won the $1m, no that was stupid. Nor do I think that the government should say that the SawStop technology should be mandatory. Having said that I still admire and like the SawStop. When it comes to my safety politics and ill feelings don't factor in. If I buy a new saw it will most likely a SawStop.

Well there is where you and I differ. I don't let my emotions keep me from making a sensible decision. Because you are interested you know about the Gass tactics. I assure you, you buy products now that you would feel the same about if you knew the politics involved. Take freon for instance. R12 was perfectly adequate. But DuPont's patent ran out and the new refrigerant that they developed was mandated to be used. Now if you want to talk about percentages of price increase, I used to buy R12, 1,000 cases at a time at about 67 cents per pound. IRC a 30 lb bottle of the r128 sold in the $200.00 range.
The old R12 was supposedly bad for the ozone layer which is still a supposed problem although R12 is all but gone. The refrigerant that replaced R12 was friendlier to the ozone, but more harmful to humans. There were very strict rules and special equipment to contain the new freon even though it was environmentally friendly, except to humans. They did not want any more than necessary any human contact. There were numerous publications concerning that in the automotive trades magazines back in the mid 80's. The SawStop story pails by comparison.

I just can't support anyone doing underhanded business any more. I stopped with Sears 30 years ago and won't start with Gass today.

I was there, doing auto A/C when the law took effect. Uckinfay Eeniesgray. From there, they went on to spotted owls, the elusive Devil's Hole Pupfish, silicone implant terrors, and AGWK.
God help us!

I understand that it pales, too. :^)
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
When all is said and done there are only two things that concern me; 1. Is the manufacturer going to fix my saw (and replace the blade) if the damn thing malfunctions (ruins my blade and stops my work for the day)
2. How much is it going to add to the cost of the saw I buy.
Max

I agree with your outlook and also feel that safety is paramount within reason. The Sawstop cabinet saw table top is too high for me to operate comfortably so unfortunately it's not a saw I'd consider. I inquired as to the possibility of lowering one of their saws and was told that the internal mechanism didn't allow enough room for lowering. So, when I'm again ready to buy, it will be one of General's 'Access' tablesaws which is lowered for people who have to sit, like to sit or happen to be of shorter stature.
On 10/8/2011 2:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I did have a good idea but no longer recall. Right now Bosch has indicated that the cost would be $55 for their bench top saws.

I had heard numbers like $800 on the price of a cabinet saw.
On 10/8/2011 7:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yeah I have heard those numbers too, but not from a manufacturer.

In a nutshell. The SawStop guy came out swinging from the get go, the manufacturer's balked, and it's moved on to the next round. Too early to tell who the winner will be, but I wouldn't bet against the guy with the deepest pockets.
In article <ffec27d9-9389-43f6-a48c-deda65a00827

Merceces-Benz licenses their antiskid braking patents at no charge (or did while they were still in force, they may be expired now). If Mr. Sawstop was really all that interested in preventing injury instead of lining his own pockets he'd do the same.

ABS were first used in airplanes in the 30's or 40's. Chrysler had anti-skid technology in the early 70's. Bosch and Mercedes collaborated in the late 70's and MB rolled them out in the 80's. Not quite the same thing as having a totally unique technology. I'd also be very interested to see where they gave away their technology when there were already competing technologies out there. That's not the purpose of a patent and it makes no sense from any angle. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything about it - do you have a link that I could check out?
Please don't attribute some moral lapse in not taking the high road to a guy that all the major manufacturer's told to get lost. Anyone would have a bone to pick with them in that situation, and now he's set on making his point and teaching them a lesson. After all - he's a LAWYER. Lawyer's don't necessarily differentiate between making money and doing good. They're not automatically mutually exclusive.
As far as Gass' position, I could see him negotiating downwards once the regulations come out. It would be in his best interests to make the money while he can as numerous billion dollar companies can afford to lawyer-spank anybody. And it would be in the major players interest to avoid lawyer fees and work with existing proven technology instead of losing time in development.
In article <945f0f6f-92d5-4e9e-86cd-9be5a71b59e7

I'm sorry, but Gass is a self-serving shithead. If you think otherwise you're a damned fool.

Who's he supposed to be serving - you? It's his fookin' business, and he gets to run it any way he sees fit. I don't give a rat's ass about Gass and it's not a popularity contest anyway.
There's an old saying, "You can't blame a guy for asking." He's asking the CPSC for something. It's up to them whether they say yes or no. Nobody's holding a gun to their heads.
Your righteous indignation is misplaced, and mis-timed. Your beef shouldn't be with him. If you have a beef it should be with the CPSC - IF they essentially pass a SawStop mandate. That's a big if. When and if that mandate happens, then you can tell me I told you so. I won't be holding my breath.
In article <fc743fad-b912-430e-8225-c4bb1ec19e82

No, the government is supposed to be serving me and by trying to get it to force businesses to buy his product he is subverting the free market.

It would be fine if he was content to run his own business, what makes him a sack of shit is his attempt to run everyone else's business as well.

You most assuredly can blame a guy for asking. Or would you be perfectly cool if some guy with AIDS asked you if he could fuck your daughter in the ass?

That's a separate beef. He should not be asking.
RicodJour wrote:

Look at two great American inventors:
Ben Franklin Lightning rod Bifocals Franklin stove Urinary catheter The odometer
Thomas Edison Electric light Phonograph Motion picture camera 1093 various patents
Ben Franklin put his inventions into the public domain and never charged a penny for anything.
The only thing Edison gave away was the electric chair.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

But Edison also did not lobby for legislation that required all other forms of light to be replaced with his electric lights--he was content to let the market take its course.
On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 10:47:47 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

You're wasting your time - they'll never grasp the idea. Apparently the state of business ethics is such nowadays that anything goes - even government coercion. Ethanol anyone?

On 10/9/2011 12:52 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Sorry that this did not turn out to be "vaporware? ;~)

Not so fast, Bunky...
http://techrights.org/2010/09/03/patent-office-icon-shamed /
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents#Current_wars