sawstop running

On 12 Jan 2005 22:00:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@designstrategies-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (dwright) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Wait! There's a Bypass mode? Operator controllable? Uhoh! Suit City here we come, I reckon.

"Should I run my sawstop in bypass mode?" will replace "should I have a blade guard installed?" ?

In a working situation, is there any _record/log_ kept of each incident, and the state of the Saw Stop?

Reply to
Old Nick

Not really, bypass mode is specifically for metals and green wood that would trigger the Sawstop otherwise.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Old Nick,

I have no idea how diy came up with that address for me. I didn't type it anywhere when signing up. It's just designstrategies.net.

You've got a good hunch there. They had to include a bypass mode, and I wouldn't be surprised if the first person who gets bitten while using that mode sues SawStop claiming that they weren't running in bypass.

I have discussed the technology and the resulting saw's engineering at length with Steve Gass, as part of deciding whether or not to get one so early, but didn't get around to asking if the cartridge holds a record of operating patterns. It tells you if contact is sensed while in Bypass...would be trivial for it to record that info.

Most of the saw's smarts are in the cartridge. That make upgrades easier. If you happen to have endured reading my review you might have noticed that my saw received such an upgrade after I noticed an operational irregularity. At some point someone's got to try hacking the cartridge.

Regards,

Dave

Reply to
dwright

It doesn't detect flesh per se, it's looking for a change in electric potential. Have you ever been in a building that has a door with a crash bar that youhave to touch with your bare hand in order to release a magnet that holds the door closed ?

Reply to
GregP

Oh yea - Bypass Mode is a little irritating to engage. They did that to discourage its regular use. You have to hold a key turned for at least a second while starting the saw.

Reply to
dwright

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:02:31 -0500, GregP vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

But does it work if you throw a sausage at it?

Reply to
Old Nick

On 13 Jan 2005 23:00:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@designstrategies-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (dwright) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

But it will be done...

Seriously, I am surprised they included it. Even after readin your other post.

Reply to
Old Nick

On 13 Jan 2005 22:00:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@designstrategies-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (dwright) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Well it sounds as if somebody cares about your bum for you. Anti-spam addresses on the newsgroup are very common, to stop....well...spammers . Hence my little request to remove ns when replying by email.

I remain neutral about SawStop. Which to say against, really, as I have not bought one . But this one seems to be for _their_ protection.

Reply to
Old Nick

If they didn't then a lot of people would need two saws, one with Sawstop and one without.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"dwright" wrote in message news:41e743fa$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com...

duct tape

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Ha! It may not work. The switch is a momentary contact keyswitch and it would have been easy for SawStop to program the routine so that it must start open, be held closed for 1 to 2 seconds, and go back open or else the saw won't run. I don't know that they did that though. I might give it a try for the heck of it next time I'm out in the shop.

Reply to
dwright

But does the key also have to be released in order to engage it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:28:28 -0700, "Charles Spitzer" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Like I said...it will be done!

Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:29:59 -0500, "J. Clarke" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Oh I can see the need! I just feel it will _legally_ negate the whole thing somewhere down the track, unless they cover their arses very carefully.

Reply to
Old Nick

Kind'a like buying a "chip" to gain 30HP on your car, I suppose.

Reply to
patrick conroy

J.,

The Bypass Mode routine is to hold the key turned while pulling out the on/off paddle. Hold that key position for at least a second while the motor spools up. Then release the key. It's worked every time I tried it. I haven't tried subtle timing variations to explore the engagement algorithm.

Dave

Reply to
dwright

You do know that that is how performance mods are legitimately done these days, right?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What? My water injector and the little fans in the carb venturii are outdated?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, water injection is also a legitimate technique - reduces combustion chamber temperature, and increases effective compression. A two-for-one effect in engines which can take advantage of it (turbo or super-charged, with engine management that can sense knock and adjust timing accordingly). Not sure about fans in the carb venturi, that sounds like a "magnets on the fuel line" kind of thing?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sure augmented thrust on our old turbojets when the water kicked in.

Reply to
George