Sawstop - probably a stupid question

Page 10 of 11

(Charlie Self) wrote:

used to be boat sized cadillac drivers, now it's hummer and escalade drivers.

Hank Gillette asks:

Did you READ what I wrote?
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I read it. You left open the possibility that you think the airbags are a factor.
"but it sometimes seems to me that adding extra safety gear to cars and SUVs gave a lot of people a sense of invulnerability that is a bit frightening."
What point did you make that you think I missed?
--
Hank Gillette

Hank Gillette responds:

Read what you wrote. You state that I did say it caused it. I said it might, and that it seemed to ME. That doesn't make a statement other than that this is my opinion, which means I did NOT present it as a statement of invincible fact.
I don't know if it does. It seems to me that it does. You don't know if it doesn't. It seems to you that it doesn't, or so your reaction appears to denote.
That is known as a difference of opinion, but there is not much in the way of fact on either side.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
On 14 Dec 2004 09:54:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I think that it's a combination of people having to drive more and more to accomplish basic things, in traffic that is increasingly worsening, as well as bloated pig SUVs (they have quite a bit in common with those early 60's Caddies).
GregP wrote:

Actually, they _are_ those early 60s Caddies. Since you can't get a car like that anymore, people buy SUVs in order to have the same amount of space and comfort.
And if you ban SUVs then you'll see people driving around in bobtail 18-wheelers to get the same.
--
--John
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:23:55 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Just about any minivan does that a lot better than just about any SUV. And those big old Caddies didn't really have all that much room in them, especially if you considered their ponderous gas-eating bulk requiring a large military presence in the Mideast to support, just like the majority of the SUVs out now.
GregP wrote:

Yes, but it's a minivan. The Caddy had social connotations as well.

If we all drove mo-peds that "large military presence" would still be required. By the way, what percentage of the US oil supply has been provided by that "large military presence" to date?
You might want to get some cortisone or something in that knee.
--
--John
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:16:26 -0500, "J. Clarke"

There's always an excuse to just keep on tuckin', i guess.

Nowhere near enough for the death and money it's costing us. And other people.

Actually,it feels like it's going to have to be replaced.

Despite his confidence in his product, it was an unbelievably stupid thing to do.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Ahh, but does it take a hard shove of a finger or just a light touch? From the description of the sawstop, it just takes a light touch. With that in mind, it's not as unbelievably stupid as one would know they are only risking a slight piece of fleshy skin.

I guess with that in mind that is not as unbelievably stupid for a person to point a loaded gun, with his finger on the trigger, at his foot as to look down the barrel.
The better way to demonstrate the saw stop is to simply touch the "SIDE" of the blade. The part with no teeth. ;~)

No argument there, but then the demonstration wouldn't have near as much sales impact and that's the whole purpose by doing it, isn't it?
Hell, if I could float a business advertising campaign by slicing a little chunk of skin from a finger while recording it for posterity with an on camera record, then call me crazy, but I'd probably do it. Just don't ask me to do it repeatedly. :)
wrote in message news:5eCvd.32213

IMHO I believe it would have the same impact.

Yeah, showing a recorded vidio of a finger being nicked would be good along with a live demonstration of touching the side of the blade. I would not recomend doing either very often. Eventually something terribly wrong might happen.
Leon responds:

It's also going to get expensive with a cartridge and blade for each "test". Not to mention any other damage to the saw the SawStop might cause by being repeatedly put through its paces.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Perhaps we've actually found a good use for those Harbor Freight saw blades. There's nothing that says he has to use a $200 Forrest blade for the demo.
--
Hank Gillette

Hank Gillette writes:

That would be hard to do anyway. I think most Forrest 10" blades are in the $120 range.
But, you're right, it's a use for HF 5 buck blades, other than as a source for sacrificial metal for rehabbing planes.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
From what I've heard of the SS, that might be risky. Doesn't the blade drop under the table at the same time it stops? If that's true, you could get cut from the edge of a tooth as it's on it's way down.
David
Leon wrote:

Upscale responds:

If it works as expected.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

I'm not their engineer, but I thought it was their 2-stage safety system.

To me - the blade stop is safety system #1. Dropping it below the saw is the backup...