Sawstop - probably a stupid question

Those "cures" require a tremendous amount of cutting edge research and then elaborate clinical trials and an extensive government approval process. The Sawstop has already been demonstrated, and the only thing the government wants to know about it is how much tax the manufacturer owes.

So, you admit that the Sawstop is so flawed that it is going to take years of research to make it work adequately if in fact it can be made to do so? If not, then what _are_ you suggesting?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Bridger responds:

Ah well. Point him at a little but difficult tome called The True Believer. Eric Hoffer write it, I think sometime in the middle or late '50s, and our society is becoming permeated with them, on one topic or another. And sometimes on all.

Charlie Self "Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." Eric Hoffer

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yep, you pay them, they test it. Perhaps they are not being paid?

-j

Apple. IBM existed before the apple. Where is the corporate behemoth that is squashing sawstop? It is, like most analogies, false.

-j

No execpc addr. Maybe I mentioned flying into Mitchell to visit my family when "Elkhorn International Airport" is closed. Runway 36L is especially "iffy" during corn season.

Reply to
patrick conroy

OTOH, fatal traffic accidents caused by drivers under the influence of tobacco are, as far as I know, extremely rare events.

Doug Miller

Neither does SawStop. The existing manufacturers declined to use that product; that is not the same as "fighting tooth and nail" to prevent it coming to market.

Doug Miller

You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? The spindle disengages when it is activated...so there is no additional stress on the motor, bearing or any other part of the machine except for the blade. Thanks for playing.......XXXXXXXXX!!

Reply to
ted harris

UL did NOT say it did not work. They said it needed more testing...well, why aren't they testing it? That is what they do, no?

Now there's some real brain food!

Reply to
ted harris

Further, there is an almost exact parallel. The Apple prototype was constructed after hours in HP's laboratories. When it was complete, the two Steves went to their supervisor with it, demonstrated it, and asked if this was a product that HP wanted to market. After going through whatever process they go through, HP decided that it wasn't and granted the two Steves a waiver of any rights that they had to it, at which point they started their own company to sell the thing and the rest is history.

So HP was "fighting tooth and nail" just as hard as Delta and Jet are fighting against Sawstop.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I find it abolutely unbelievable that you don't understand the SIMPLE FACT that when you drink, it does not make everyone else around you drunk!

Reply to
ted harris

Steve Jobs had no one fighting him tootj and nail. I'd like to see someone try to do what he has done today, in a developed computer world. Your argumnent is quite simply not apples to apples...

Reply to
ted harris

I wish I had money to invest...

Reply to
ted harris

Ayup. Remember the IBM 5100? Nifty little portable computer (very small screen) with rom-based basic and APL interpreters. Predated even the Apple II.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

And it is a SIMPLE FACT that if you smoke (by yourself, in your car, home or workplace) you are only affecting yourself. Again, your analogy falls down.

scott

(Of course, if you're drunk, and kill someone in a car wreck, you are affecting someone else, true?)

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Just who are you acusing of being alienated? Is it possible that the mass movement against sawstop is the very group that is in fact alienated?

Reply to
ted harris

Shall we talk about Dell, or Compaq? Or Extreme Networks and Brocade?

Or Egenera? Fabric 7?

all examples of companies starting in the face of entrenched competitors but with differentiated product. Most would argue that they were and are successful at it.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It seems to me that he is saying that some things, no matter how simple they appear, may take longer to develop than something that appears 1000 times more complicated. Such is the case with Apple computer...he faced no opposition, no competition, no corporate behemoth, etc.

Reply to
ted harris

Trying hard as I can to read it into Charlie's prose, I can't find whre he accused anyone of being alienated.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not too rare. Ever seen a driver drop a lit ciggie in his lap?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser