Sawstop - probably a stupid question

Page 9 of 11

I know that I am .... ;~)

That's easy if by "Average" you mean the mean of driving ability.
The "Average" is of a population that includes drivers who are "newsworthy bad" . . people with 4000 points on their license but who somehow elude arrest. NO idea how they do that. I get nasty letters from the town if I'm three seconds late paying a parking violation. If these guys only took the effort the expend eluding the police into driving skills they'd be in NASCAR.
Most drivers are "Good Enough" to avoid most accidents.
At the top end, there are very few NASCAR-grade drivers, especially in comparison with the number of bad drivers.
This drives the mean down, so that, it is reasonable to suppose that most drivers are indeed "Above Average."
Now, if someone were to ask "Are you above or below the median level of driving skill?" the notion that 80% being above is ludicrous. But most people, when they say "average" mean "Mean" so the result isn't all that surprising.

It also includes people like my mother. Mom's been driving for over 40 years, never had an accident, never had a ticket.

Observation would suggest that this is your opinion, not a proven fact. :-)

And I suppose you've done the research to back up these claims? Sorry, but I just don't buy it. The population of drivers is large enough that it's statistically unlikely that the bad ones can drag the average down so much that substantially more than half of the total are above average. If you have evidence that the distribution of driving abilities across the population is as far from a normal curve as it would have to be for you to be right, I'd like to see a cite.

That is, of course, what "average" means.

well, i've seen accidents and near accidents caused by the proverbial little old lady who never gets a ticket in the situation, but was the proximate cause.

Nah . . . this is all 'Sposin . . back of an envelope type reasoning.
I've never seen any objective discussion of driving ability aside from this old saw. I imagine the actuaries who work for auto insurance companies would know for certain. Any actuaries here? Any who can say a little about what they know?
The fact that insurers make money writing auto liability policies demonstrates that the information must be available.
I imagine that driving ability is either unimodal or multimodal, but that many more drivers are clustered about "average" than in a true "Normal" distribution. I also imagine that the Very Worst and Very Best are MUCH better and MUCH worse than average.
That coorelates with my RL driving experience, but I've no raw data on this.

Actually the driver regardless of how experienced is doing the braking of a vehicle with ABS. The ABS simply monitors the wheels from that point and insures that they are all turning at the same speed. Typically it eases up on the wheel or wheels that that are turning slower than the others. That is probably what you were saying.
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:22:28 GMT, "Leon"

If you want to defeat most ABS systems just hit the brakes *real* hard, immediately release them and nail them again. On most systems you can get all four wheels stopped with this tactic. The system then detects no differences in rotational speed (all are stopped) so doesn't do anything while you merrily skid down the road.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Leon wrote:

Coefficient of static friction is higher than coefficient of sliding friction?
--
--John

Depends on the surface, doesn't it? Ice vs. asphault, for instance?
ABS will thresshold brake on each of the four wheels, independantly. The best driver can only thresshold brake on the slipperiest of the four wheels. With ABS you've got 4 times as many inputs/outputs, and faster reactions on top of it.
No.
You can't stop the car without brakes (unless you're Fred Flintstone).
You can avoid cutting your fingers off without a sawstop.
Renata

-snip-

I would think for the other 95% of the population that may use a SawStop that the fear of a blade spinning at 3500+ RPM may still be the number 1 reason not to become careless. I am one of those people that does not look down the barrel of a gun because it has a safety unless I have removed the shell and am cleaning the gun.
If SawStop is such a great product, why doesn't the demonstrator use his finger instead of a hot dog? Where is the faith and confidence in his product?
If the manufacturer want to claim he has a real safety device, lets see the live body part demos!
Jack
-- "Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be" -Abraham Lincoln

calmly ranted:
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be" -Abraham Lincoln
Thanks, John. (Stolen/added to my sig collection!)
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

He has...it just nicked his finger.
--
Only worry about the things you can control.

Then you have stuff all to worry about!

He did it once. I don't know if there is a video of that, but if there isn't, it's probably because he didn't want to release a video of him crapping in his pants.
--
Hank Gillette

In typed:

Steve Gass has stuck his fingers into the blade twice, I believe.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Sure. It nicks you every time. So demonstrate as often as that video has been shown and end up with a finger or two that looks frayed.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

That's a good point, but do most people drive recklessly simply because their car has airbags?
The inventor of the SawStop actually tested it with his own finger. He said that despite his confidence in the product it was unbelieveably hard to force his finger into the spinning saw blade.
--
Hank Gillette

Hank Gillette asks:

Not a good analogy. I don't know if it's the airbags, but there do seem to be more and more idiots on the road today, people who tailgate, speed, cut in and out. Possibly it's more noticeable because traffic is heavier than ever in just about every location, but it sometimes seems to me that adding extra safety gear to cars and SUVs gave a lot of people a sense of invulnerability that is a bit frightening.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

So are you saying that airbags are causing people to drive more recklessly?
My impression is that there have always been idiot drivers. Increased congestion makes them more noticeable, and the frustrations of congestion make more people do stupid things. I doubt that removing airbags and seat belts and forcing everyone to drive in Hyundais would be an improvement.
I haven't personally seen the phenomena of people thinking that the SUV makes them invulnerable, but I have heard of it.
Since the airbags are hidden, I don't think they affect me much one way or another. But if anything, when I first started using seat belts, it reminded me that driving was inherently dangerous. Of course, now, buckling up is to automatic, that I don't even think about it. But it certainly doesn't make me less cautious.
--
Hank Gillette