Sawstop - probably a stupid question

Page 8 of 11
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:07:54 -0700, Charles Spitzer

Isn't that what the hand-brake is for? Keep the front (driven) wheels going with your right foot, pull up on the handbrake, let the ass end slide around. Works great in a Saab, I suppose if you have RWD you can do something sort of like that with the throttle?
"left foot steering" is what the Saab rally drivers call it.
Dave Hinz

corvette. rwd. manual transmission. already doing heel (brake) and toe (throttle) with the right foot. one almost never takes hands off the wheel in autox, so ran out of limbs to do that. also, a vette handbrake is on the left side of the passenger seat down low, and you have to apply it harder to get it to release as it's on a ratchet of some kind. i usually can't reach it when using a 5 point harness.

It was Wisconsin. It was the winter. It was cold even without the wind-chill.
I'll bet they saw me and decided to go bust some real villains that day.. :)
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:54:36 GMT, "patrick conroy"

I do something like that in the winter every time I get another car: Buffalo requires a lot of slush & ice driving.

Yes, it does. Hey Patrick, was this the empty parking lot at State Fair Park, by any chance? ISTR we're both Milwaukee locals.
Dave

No, sorry. This is when I lived in that 'Far North Chicago Suburb' - Lake Geneva. Seem to recall it was either the High School or Sentry grocery store.
Ya know - now that I'm out *here* - they've actually done something pretty cool. See: http://www.winterdrive.com / I came out here, via a long layover in Texas and suggested that most of them ought'a invest in the school.

Gotcha. Why did I think you're from MKE then I wonder? Did you used to have an execpc address?

That _is_ cool. Looks like a lot of fun.

Neve hurts to know how the machine will handle.
Dave

No execpc addr. Maybe I mentioned flying into Mitchell to visit my family when "Elkhorn International Airport" is closed. Runway 36L is especially "iffy" during corn season.

I have never known or thought a car with ABS would stop shorter and I have the background for working in the automotive industry for 23 years. It simply helps you maintain control of the vehicle particularly when on an inconsistent or slick surface. I have never really heard that ABS makes a car stop shorter.
Leon responds:

Well, I've been piddling with cars for more than twice that long, though not often from an industry standpoint. But I had thought that ABS was supposed to keep that sucker in a straight line, which generally will mean shorter stops than does skidding, letting up on the brakes and correcting before slamming 'em down again.
I'd like to see some test results--I'm sure someone did some at some time--comparing ABS stop distances to an expert driver who pumps away with abandon.
Of course, part of the problem is the number of drivers who perceive themselves as experts, when most of them aren't even competent beginners when it comes to emergency maneuvers.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

Actually, it does a bit more than that--it allows steering control during maximum performance braking. I remember Mercedes demonstrating the original system--Rudi Uhlenhaut (apologies if I've misspelled his name) took a new Mercedes flat out around the track at Indianapolis, with one of the corners wetted down, slammed on the brakes coming into the wet curve, and steered right through it with the brake pedal all the way down.
The old Bendix system that worked only on the back wheels kept it straight but let the fronts lock and thus there was no steering control.

--
--John

ABS aslo greatly assists breaking when cornering if the need arises. The ABS purpose is to keep all the wheels spinning until all have equal drag. If one wheel locks up the vehicle will start to rotate. On a slick surface you can easily loose control.

There is that Pumping term again.. LOL.. I recall my parents talking about pumping the brakes. My recallolection of pumping brakes is sitting in a car up on a lift and pumping the brake pedal then holding it down while the mechanic opened the bleed valves on the wheel cylinders and calipers to remove the air from the system. Those were the days when a brake job automatically included rebuilding the wheel cylinders and calipers. Anyway, I always applied the pressure to the brake pedal until I heard or felt a change in the tires sound or felt a change in tire traction. For most people I believe that stopping distances can be improved with ABS but all things being equal sometimes skidding on a rough and stable surface can stop a car rather quickly. In Houston you can lock up the tires on the "Concrete" freeways and come to a stop rather quickly, then drive off with flat sopts on your tires.

Yeah...exactly. Houston is loaded with these people. I learned this morning that there are 5,000 accidents every year in Houston simply from people running stop lights. Basically when a light turns red it means 3 more cars are permitted to enter and cross the intersection. I missed that in drivers ed and still cannot fint hat rule written anywhere. ;~) If you stop for a red light when it turns red you might get rear ended.
Leon responds:

Every place is loaded with these people, unfortunately.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

that's for rear wheel only abs. 4 wheel abs lets you stop in turns. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/Equipment/absbrakes.html

abs pulses at 10 times/second. i'm not sure an expert can do that, and they for sure can't just pump the brake at a single wheel that is slipping. most things i've read is that it is just about equal to an expert driver. it also depends upon the surface: on loose sand/snow, abs can lengthen the stop distance.

Well, the expert driver isn't "pumping with abandon", they're pushing _just_ shy of the skid point. ABS does the same thing, it's just better at measuring it, and has four feet to push with instead of just one.

Yup. I visit them regularly in ditches. The majority are drunk and/or inexperienced, but I bet they think they're _all_ better than average drivers.
Dave Hinz

I remember reading a few years ago that a survey conducted by AAA showed that somewhere in the vicinity of 80% of motorists think that they are better drivers than average.

Another poll found that 19% of Americans believe that their income put them in the top 1%.
--
Hank Gillette

Well now, that 'splains a lot about some voting patterns then.
Renata
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:04:13 -0500, Hank Gillette

Apparently only 3/8's of them were right.

I have heard quoted that 90% of male drivers believe they are in the top 10% in driving skills.
-j