Sawstop - probably a stupid question

Page 4 of 11

Oddly enough, it could actually be because they want their customers to survive a severe crash so they can live to buy another of their cars. Not all safety equipment usage is there because it's a direct monetary gain, either.

Yup.
Hank Gillette wrote:

Friend of mine spent her last few bucks on a used Mercedes because it had side airbags. They do sell cars to the safety conscious--the same crowd that wrecked Volvo's image in an earlier time.

Personally I don't like anybody who lobbies for legislation that will restrict my activities and give him a personal reward at the same time.

--
--John

I can understand and empathize with that feeling to a certain extent. I have a libertarian streak when it comes to things that are a personal choice and do not affect other people. The recreational drug laws in this country are (IMO) counter-productive and a restraint on personal freedom. They also benefit those companies that sell legal recreational drugs (alcohol and tobacco).
Are you using Linux? You're probably aware that Microsoft has tried to get the government to ban open source software, claiming that it is not as good as the stuff they are selling.
In some cases, I feel that if certain things are not required by law, they are not going to happen to the detriment of nearly everyone. For example, most coal companies did not repair the damage they did while strip mining until the law forced them to do it. Timber companies seem to be pretty good about replanting trees these days, but there was a lot of clear-cutting of forests in the past.
--
Hank Gillette

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:01:18 -0500, Hank Gillette

Clear-cutting goes on. And I'd say it's more true that timber companies are pretty good at convincing people that they're replanting these days.

And you base your opinion on what data, exactly?
scott
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:21:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I'm basing it on first-hand observation. And you base your objections on what data, exactly ?

Excuse me? What objection? I was just curious whether you had any data that backed up your assertion. I see you don't.
scott
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:20:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

And you clearly have none to back yours, unless those commercials you've been swallowing hook, line, and sinker made some up for you.
If clear cutting is done correctly, it mimics the natural mosaic pattern that fires create. I'm talking about natural fires in forests that do not have too much fuel caused by years of over aggressive fire suppression. The mosaic pattern gives new trees room to mature and also creates wildlife habitat (for all the furry thing huggers out there!). Unfortunately, there are many examples where improper clear cutting was done. The usual mosaic pattern is on the order of a few or less acres in size, not hundreds of acres that were clear cut in the past. Good forest management allows everyone (tree huggers, loggers, hunters, animal lovers, etc.) to all benefit from the same piece of land.
<soapbox mode off>
Grant
GregP wrote:

In typed:

Are you implying that tobacco use does not affect other people?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

No, he's implying that if Marijuana was legal it would likely hurt tobacco sales and thus the tobacco companies have a vested interest in keeping it illegal. Please do try to follow the argument.
I find it interesting that you single out tobacco use as 'affecting other people' but seem to ignore the effects of drunk driving.
--
--John
In typed:

I find it abolutely unbelievable that you don't understand the SIMPLE FACT that when you drink, it does not make everyone else around you drunk!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

OTOH, fatal traffic accidents caused by drivers under the influence of tobacco are, as far as I know, extremely rare events.

Not too rare. Ever seen a driver drop a lit ciggie in his lap?

I'm aware of such incidents. But I'm sure you're not contending that they are anywhere near as common as PI or fatality crashes caused by drunks.

Nor cell phone users, newspaper readers, breakfast eaters, or hairdo artistes. All of whom I've seen doing 70 or better on freeways.

Lobby Dosser responds:

One of the first accidents that happened to someone I knew was to a girl in high school. She dropped her cigarette on the car floor, and reached to get it. Ran into a guard rail in a curve and really, really messed up Daddy's car. Didn't do her much good, either: way pre-seat belt days, about 1954.
Charlie Self "Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." Eric Hoffer

LOL.. IIRC a dope smoker is also not likely to be in an accident. Too paranoid and overly cautious.

And it is a SIMPLE FACT that if you smoke (by yourself, in your car, home or workplace) you are only affecting yourself. Again, your analogy falls down.
scott
(Of course, if you're drunk, and kill someone in a car wreck, you are affecting someone else, true?)
In typed:

I personally don't care if you smoke and want to kill yourself, that is fine. If you smoke anywhere in the presence of another person, you are now affecting them. So how does my analogy fall down?

Yeah, but then you have to face the law...where are the laws to protect non-smokers?
This debate is about sawstop, not smoking. Should we debate the smoking issue as well?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com