Sawstop on slashdot

Idiot, LOL I am not a Democrat or Republican. I believe both parties are equally right and wrong. No one is right all the time. I lean right however. I do disagree with "most" government involvement. Not every one agrees with my opinions. All my life, not every one has agreed with my opinion. The same holds true for every one else. At a young age I learned to get past that, some however, have not.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly, you have to open your eyes to the big picture. Be a bit more open minded if you dare. Do not be held captive by refusing to see other ways to accomplish something.

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps it is an option for you and others who live close to their work or a transit system not to drive but the majority of people need a car to go to work. . .

BB

Reply to
BB

Hmm - the big picture - what part of the big picture are you referring to when you single mindedly propose the government mandate SawStops? A certain rise in the price of saws? Possible loss of jobs since fewer saws are purchased? Even more offshore sourcing of products since the need to cut costs means it is cheaper to make everything overseas? Increased costs to use a saw since a single mis-fire will mean a new cartridge $$$, and a new saw blade $$$. The list goes on. . .

BB

Reply to
BB

Very thoughtful, to the point and well stated. Fortunately, I find it doubtful that there will ever be such a mandate. We can only imagine the strength of the lobby respresenting the big tool corporations. I believe the *victory* in this case was based on a bunch of engineers making a recommendation. I believe there will be a long road to mandate from there. If the cost factors that have been posted in here are correct that is enogh to kill this right there. My guess is that after years of wrangling we will end up with slightly tightened regulations. IMO, that will be right around the same time that SS is selling off assets to avoid Chapter-11. A table saw is a very safe piece of equipment when operated properly. Adherence to some very simple guidelines and procedures will fully ensure one can operate the saw safely. The seat belt argument does not, in any way, provide a fair comparison to the current T/S debate. Driving an automobile out on the streets subjects the operator to errors and mistakes by other drivers. Conversely, the safety of operating a T/S is completely in the hands of the operator.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

That's because they choose (option) to live far from work. It's all about priorities. I choose to be a carpenter requiring me to own a big a&& truck to carry all my tools. When I was an engineer I rode my bike to work though it was only ten miles it usually only took me 15 minutes longer to ride my bike than driving....because everybody else made the optional choice to drive a car.

as for the saw stop, I'm not for inclusion of the device on every saw as I'm still ticked off about safety requirements mandated on lawn mowers. The price of the ss would drastically drop if it was so required due to the quantity required. In about 5 more years (less time than the gov. can move to get it included) I believe the patent will be up and you'll see aftermarket stuff and chiwanese knockoffs of the product anyway.

Like everything I write...JMO Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

.snip.

George Shouse

Reply to
Leon

It is still an option. I can name many people, some in my own family, that have never had a driving license in their lives. I can do the same if I choose to, but jobs in my walking area don't pay what I make so I choose to drive every day, 52 miles. There are people that still choose to live in the city so they do not need a car.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The way gas prices are going, you may soon find the pay cut to be worth it. Personally, I have a twenty minute rule. If I have to drive more than twenty minutes to get to a place, I don't work there.

Reply to
CW