Sawstop on slashdot

Page 2 of 4

The government not setting the price is not the same as actual deregulation. The government regulates electricity: you can't buy it on the free market, because the government dictates who may run wires to your house, who can generate electricity, who can put lines on the the poles, etc.
Government involvement causes that 50% increase, and more.
Kevin

The city government did regulate the price of electricity and we could only buy the electricity from one place. With deregulation, we can buy from any where "in" Texas. Our electricity rates went up 50% with deregulation.

Ah, but you *can't* buy from anywhere in Texas.
If you wanted to buy from me, I could not plug my generator into the grid near Texarkana, and then get paid by you.
You can only buy from certain electricity producers. And every one of those producers is heavily regulated. The only thing that stopped, was the city setting the price of electricity. That is *not* deregulation.
(Sorry for this off-topic aside!)
Kevin

OK, correct I was not exactly correct in how I stated who I can buy from in Texas. The shame of it all and certainly the reason that prices have gone up instead of down is that Texans cannot buy electricity from any where but Texas. Apparently Texas is unique in that it is not connected to the grid outside of Texas.

Adding the $250 required to as the feature PLUS the royalty is a deal buster since it mean they would be getting $20 per saw just from the $250 in additional parts cost. Good the see that the Sawstop boys are not greedy or anything. Plus I am willing to bet that even though you license the technology they assume no liability for injuries from it failing to operate properly.
It seems quite clear that the reason the saw makers decided not to use it was due to that fact that it made NO SENSE financially.
BB

Perhaps a deal breaker for you, but not of others.
Good the see that the Sawstop boys are not greedy or

Yeah, the deal seems reasonable to me.
Plus I am willing to bet that even though you license the

It could tahe that path or maybe not.

And that very well may be their problem. Most every one does not like the path that Delta is being taken down.

You are free to buy a Sawstop if you want one - I choose not to. When you start telling the government to require it on all saws I will fight it tooth and nail since it is stupid.

So you either work for Sawstop or you own stock???

You seem to be a bit naive in how business works and legal contracts are made. . .

NO manufacturer has done a deal with them period. Why not? It is simply not going to do anything but kill sales to suddenly add $300-400 to the price of an already expensive piece of equipment. . .
BB

What is stupid, the government requiring the SS or the SS device itself?
If you mean part one, I can agree, If you mean part two, I don't agree
wrote in message

The government requiring it on all saws. . . The device seems to work so I have no problems with it just those who take the position the government should require it on all saws. . .
BB

Have you been fighting this already? It appears tha the government might require it.

Anouter uninformed assumption.

I do not claim to know all and cannot always accurately predict the future.

Wrong again. The Sawstop is being manufactured for SawStop. If every one is required to use a similar safety device sales will likely not be killed. Did the public quit buying gasoline when it wert up 50%?

Only because of idiots like you that want to involve the government in everything . . . gee let me guess a Democrat perchance?

You have been advocating it from the get go. . . You fail to understand the economics of how requiring it would be expense for saw owners and new buyers (I doubt the lower insurance would even come close to covering the added equipment cost)

You seem to like comparing apples to oranges - for most folks saws are an OPTIONAL item - driving a car is not.

Well you started the name calling. The possibility of an intelligent conversation with you just came to an end.

Gary (humour is everywhere)

Idiot, LOL I am not a Democrat or Republican. I believe both parties are equally right and wrong. No one is right all the time. I lean right however. I do disagree with "most" government involvement. Not every one agrees with my opinions. All my life, not every one has agreed with my opinion. The same holds true for every one else. At a young age I learned to get past that, some however, have not.
"BB" wrote

driving a car is an option. I could just as easily ride my bike, walk, or go back to horse and buggy(well maybe not so easy on the last one). I still know people that don't drive cars.
Gary

Exactly, you have to open your eyes to the big picture. Be a bit more open minded if you dare. Do not be held captive by refusing to see other ways to accomplish something.

Hmm - the big picture - what part of the big picture are you referring to when you single mindedly propose the government mandate SawStops? A certain rise in the price of saws? Possible loss of jobs since fewer saws are purchased? Even more offshore sourcing of products since the need to cut costs means it is cheaper to make everything overseas? Increased costs to use a saw since a single mis-fire will mean a new cartridge $$$, and a new saw blade $$$. The list goes on. . .
BB

Fortunately, I find it doubtful that there will ever be such a mandate. We can only imagine the strength of the lobby respresenting the big tool corporations. I believe the *victory* in this case was based on a bunch of engineers making a recommendation. I believe there will be a long road to mandate from there. If the cost factors that have been posted in here are correct that is enogh to kill this right there. My guess is that after years of wrangling we will end up with slightly tightened regulations. IMO, that will be right around the same time that SS is selling off assets to avoid Chapter-11. A table saw is a very safe piece of equipment when operated properly. Adherence to some very simple guidelines and procedures will fully ensure one can operate the saw safely. The seat belt argument does not, in any way, provide a fair comparison to the current T/S debate. Driving an automobile out on the streets subjects the operator to errors and mistakes by other drivers. Conversely, the safety of operating a T/S is completely in the hands of the operator.

Perhaps it is an option for you and others who live close to their work or a transit system not to drive but the majority of people need a car to go to work. . .
BB

That's because they choose (option) to live far from work. It's all about priorities. I choose to be a carpenter requiring me to own a big a&& truck to carry all my tools. When I was an engineer I rode my bike to work though it was only ten miles it usually only took me 15 minutes longer to ride my bike than driving....because everybody else made the optional choice to drive a car.
as for the saw stop, I'm not for inclusion of the device on every saw as I'm still ticked off about safety requirements mandated on lawn mowers. The price of the ss would drastically drop if it was so required due to the quantity required. In about 5 more years (less time than the gov. can move to get it included) I believe the patent will be up and you'll see aftermarket stuff and chiwanese knockoffs of the product anyway.
Like everything I write...JMO Gary