Sawstop - ok, does it actually work?

and to the O.P. - hopefully the damn machine works more than we do!

LOL!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

As far as I know, not a single average anybody has ever used this device in the ordinary course of a day in the shop. The whole tempest is generated over demos. The device seems to demand that a special new saw be designed and built to accommodate it so you will not go to Home Depot EVER and bring home a retrofit. The hot dog demo seems to be the only evidence the thing has ever worked any time, anywhere.

Reply to
edfan

SawStop's president says that he tested it on his own finger.

Google-search this newsgroup for keywords The relevant post was made by myself on 12 Dec 2002.

Doug Miller

No. "Ah, hah. So the pet store owner's brother was lying". "Well, you can't blame British rail for that."

Sometimes this group looks like one big argument sketch.

todd

Reply to
todd

On 11 Jul 2003, todd spake unto rec.woodworking:

No it doesn't.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:19:54 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

might have been, and now he's just being a SAUERKRAUT

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

That was hands down the most entertaining highlight of the baseball season thus far. They were calling it "sausagegate" on ESPN last night.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Wait just one darn minute . . . if you're going to play the game, you gotta know the rules.

#1 - Never ( I repeat *never*) re-use a word, part of a word, or reference a word which has already been used.

#2 - Refer to #1 until I come up with some more.

Now - go back and re-read all this trivial crap and mend your ways my son.

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:54:44 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

my mommie says you arent very nice ROFL i musta missed the kraut line in all my laughing

i shall repaint, and thin no more

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Can you post the links?

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Isn't that dickering?

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Not kraut igit . . . . sauer!

Very good - say 3 Nail Mary's and go to your room!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

On 11 Jul 2003, Ernie Jurick spake unto rec.woodworking:

Hah!

I was going to tell you to stuff it, but I didn't want to get into a scrapple with you.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

I damn near let this one slip past me . . . great one Ernie! ROTFLMAOAPMP!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

You _can't_ "install" one. It has to be _built_in_ to the saw.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I saw a demo, and it did certainly work, dunno what damage it did to the saw tho, it was dramatic. My guess is the saw will never cut straight again, then there's the cost. A new thing from Sawstop, a new blade, and possibly a new saw, or a re-alingment as well. Just learn to be careful!

But why just table saws? they cause the most accidents, but probably because they are the most common tool. Routers and circular saws must also be up there. Why provide a "safety blanket" for one tool, and lull amateur woodworkers into the "parachute" syndrome?

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

I think that table saws are the most likely candidate for this. Routers are handheld and it is likely that stopping one with a heavy bit in mid rotation will rip the thing out of your grasp.

Circular saws are often used to cut through wood with nails in it and are used in the rain so they would get triggered by accident. They are hand held so all the energy stored in the spinning blade would cause it to move around if you stop instantaneously. It would also make them heavier.

Joiners have very heavy cutter heads so that instantaneous stopping would be tough and would probably be rather destructive.. They also don't chop off fingers, they only shave the ends off of them so it is not as easy to find pictures which will make you queasy - gory pictures are necessary for getting legislation passed.

I'm working on my own top secret HammerStop which will prevent you from smashing your thumb. Sorry can't tell you all the details, but you know those big foam fingers that people hold up at sports events...

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Me too. Even after the departure this thread has taken, I had to read Scott's response before I got it.

todd

Reply to
todd

Don't worry. On SawStop's web site, they state that the technology can be adapted for other woodworking equipment.

Reply to
todd

I wish you'd have perfected it about 30 years ago. I was adding on to my first house with the FIL's help. Had the footing forms all nailed up and was staking them in. The 1 x 4 straps were nailed on with 8d duplex nails and somehow I rested my right thumb on the head of one while holding a 1 x

4 stake against the side of the form so the FIL could hammer it home with the 8 lb maul. He missed. After I unplugged my thumb from the duplex nail head, it looked kinda like one of theos big foam fingers, only with blood spurting out.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn