Sawstop delivered!

Page 3 of 7

Watch out for the black helicopters....
I missed X-Files...
Leon wrote:

I called them today. They got 98 in and another 98 are due in January, and then another 98 after that and.... - that's what the rep told me.
Why 98??? - they fit 49 to a shipping container
I imagine it will be a couple of months before they catch up with the pre-ordered units.
I asked about a 12" saw - "if there is enough demand then we will do it."
He said lots of people are calling, wanting to see one before they order it.
Mike
Congrats Ted Keep us posted on the overall performance it would be good to get some independent reviews by someone who is actually using one. Hopefully the only test it gets is with a wiener and not a finger.
Chris Melanson

Chris Melanson wrote:

I'd rather cut my finger with it than my wiener!
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:52:22 GMT, "Chris Melanson"
......and in reply I say!:
Trouble is, "User tests" are not going to be deliberate. You wreck the blade and the unit, and have to replace both.
We really cannot sit around waiting for many reports. If there are a lot then there is a lot of bad work being done, and each test is very expensive.

Would one use 320 or 400 grit to scuff up that black powder coat (in order to paint the saw DeWalt yellow)?
Black?? Not a safe colour.... unless the thing jumps out of the way when you bump into it...
please stop me..
The paint scheme reminds of all those pretty lures in the bait shop... they don't attract fish, but sure attract buyers...*G*
I can imagine a customer wandering into the shop for a price on some cabinetry...one look at that saw and I wonder what that potential customer will think.......
Having said all that....that is one fine looking piece of toy.....
I'm envious.
I want one so I can park it next to my Porsche....wait...I don't have a Porsche...shit...

Too good of you indeed. I dislike the black as well, much prefer the griz green or the delta grey more visibility in possible darker light. I saw the movies on their site, really quite impressive, and the strongest point of the machine.
Alex
You'll be able to afford one after that saw failed...
sandman wrote:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:55:38 -0800, "ted harris"
......and in reply I say!:
PMFJI
Questions.
What happens when you have turned off the power to the saw motor?
What happens if the blade is not moving, and you touch it?

I don't think that this is new technology: I assume that it is the same as used on security doors with magnetic locks that release when a conducting bar is touched by someone (skin contact). We use them in our offices and they work quite well. The mechanism becomes inactive when we lose power.

Since I had an injury about 15 years ago with the saw turned off I e-mailed SawStop and adked that that question. It still continuues to work with no power. IMHO, a simple capicator could store enough energy to power the device.

This could also be easily handled by a motion detector or something like the centripical device that engauges or disingauges the start capacitors in induction motors.

e-mailed
What exactly do you want it to do for you? If the saw blade is already not moving, how can it help you? If it drops the blade into the table, the dropping blade can still cut you on the way down and now you get the added insult of spending $50 to replace the charge for no real help at all.

the
Again, what would be the point? Now you would be creating a substantial increase in the cost of the machine with no real benefit at all. No safety device in the world can protect someone from their own laziness or stupidity and it really is up to the woodworker to understand what they are working with and to pay attention and be careful, even when the machine is not running.

could
not
safety
stupidity
IMHO, they are selling fear. All the touts who espose the product begin with ' if you had an accident with your saw you sure would wish you had sawstop". That's what irks me, that and their blatant attempt to use the court to make a profit. If they're so altruistic then they should give it away. Considering the number of saws in use and the number of accidents I wonder what the probability is of having one.
For those people who feel the need for the product and are willing to deal with it's shortcomings, I say go for it. It's your money and your wiener. For me, it's not worth the effort. FWIW, I also didn't build a bomb shelter many years ago when that was the current safety craze.
y' pays yer money and y takes yer choice.

Never have had a bad accident have you?

wonder
deal
wiener.
yup - but I don't tremble in fear of it happening again. Life goes on. Get over it and get off the soap box - you do more harm than good with your 'tude.

I am on no soap box. Any you "tude" is one of ignorance.
Leon wrote:

You are not, indeed; you seem pretty reasonable to me. I am entirely baffled how people can get their panties in such a knot over the invention of a tablesaw safety device or -- for that matter -- the fact the company has been slow getting it to market. You would think it was a massive insult to them or something. What is the deal here? Sheesh, they must be homicidal about seatbelts. I can't imagine how much they froth at the mouth about anti-lock brakes, hearing protection or -- god help us -- eye protection.
PK

I am not so sure that many are so much against the idea of the safety devise so much as their impressions of the company when the company looked to the government to mandate the use of this or a similar device to be used on all new table saws. I am also against the government getting involved with our lives any more than necessary. However not all that the government does is bad for us. IMHO this safety device is a good idea and I would much rather see this device than the one that comes on the saw now and gets thrown away before assembly most of the time. Many people form an opinion and neither hell or high water will change their minds. ;~) For those people that have been seriously injured and still have ill feelings for this device I can respect their feelings. They have been there and know that it is possible, even for them. For those that feel that harm will never come to them because they always pay close attention, use proper tool technique, are way too smart to let an accident happen, or are way too careful to let an accident happen, I can only say that given enough time your time will come. I was one of those people that felt that way and all my friends and relatives could not believe that of all people it happened to me. I have been down that path and know better now.

proper
too
I agreed with most of what you said in the reply that I snipped this from Leon, except this part. I believe that most people who don't jump on every single new thing or practice just because it pretends to be in the name of safety is less because they place all of their confidence in any of the points you mentioned, than it is because they feel that these things outweigh the marginal gain that a particular device or practice might afford. As to given enough time, everyone's time will come? Well, that's kind of hard to embrace. It may come, that's for sure. I realize that everytime I use one of my tools. I think about it when I grab a 4 in grinder, use a table saw, a welder, or any number of other things. I don't let it petrify me or drive me to embrace every idea that comes along. I guess the threat has to seem real enough to me in order to warrant that I will embrace a particular idea or practice. There are however, thousands upon thousands of woodworkers who have completed lives of full time or part time wood working without their time coming. In fact I'd say by far, most woodworkers have not met their time. It's kind of a fatalist view to imagine that your time is coming. That would certainly give one cause for concern on a regular basis.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com