Sawstop delivered!

And what is the price? I haven't seen one listed anywhere yet.

Reply to
Upscale

$2499 + the fence that you want to add.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Sean Dinh

Reply to
Sean Dinh

Watch out for the black helicopters....

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Sean Dinh

Not me. I want to hear from real world users, on two-way forums like this.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I want to see something other than "click here to pre-order" on the site.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Roughly $2500, IIRC from the web site.

--RC

rcook5

I'd rather cut my finger with it than my wiener!

Reply to
Silvan

By the vehement tone and implications in your post I would guess that it must suck to be you.

Reply to
ted harris

...Then read their FAQ, read how the safety system works and watch the little movies there. I did.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:52:22 GMT, "Chris Melanson" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Trouble is, "User tests" are not going to be deliberate. You wreck the blade and the unit, and have to replace both.

We really cannot sit around waiting for many reports. If there are a lot then there is a lot of bad work being done, and each test is very expensive.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:55:38 -0800, "ted harris" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

PMFJI

Questions.

What happens when you have turned off the power to the saw motor?

What happens if the blade is not moving, and you touch it?

Reply to
Old Nick

I don't think that this is new technology: I assume that it is the same as used on security doors with magnetic locks that release when a conducting bar is touched by someone (skin contact). We use them in our offices and they work quite well. The mechanism becomes inactive when we lose power.

Reply to
GregP

Since I had an injury about 15 years ago with the saw turned off I e-mailed SawStop and adked that that question. It still continuues to work with no power. IMHO, a simple capicator could store enough energy to power the device.

This could also be easily handled by a motion detector or something like the centripical device that engauges or disingauges the start capacitors in induction motors.

Reply to
Leon

It's fantastic to be me, Ted, but thanks for asking. I'd love for this thing to work. Really, I would. But one unit shipped while I still can't buy one if I wanted to means it's not available, don't you agree?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

movies there. I did.

Yeah, me too...about 4 years ago. It's still not available to order.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What exactly do you want it to do for you? If the saw blade is already not moving, how can it help you? If it drops the blade into the table, the dropping blade can still cut you on the way down and now you get the added insult of spending $50 to replace the charge for no real help at all.

Again, what would be the point? Now you would be creating a substantial increase in the cost of the machine with no real benefit at all. No safety device in the world can protect someone from their own laziness or stupidity and it really is up to the woodworker to understand what they are working with and to pay attention and be careful, even when the machine is not running.

Reply to
TBone

IMHO, they are selling fear. All the touts who espose the product begin with ' if you had an accident with your saw you sure would wish you had sawstop". That's what irks me, that and their blatant attempt to use the court to make a profit. If they're so altruistic then they should give it away. Considering the number of saws in use and the number of accidents I wonder what the probability is of having one.

For those people who feel the need for the product and are willing to deal with it's shortcomings, I say go for it. It's your money and your wiener. For me, it's not worth the effort. FWIW, I also didn't build a bomb shelter many years ago when that was the current safety craze.

y' pays yer money and y takes yer choice.

Reply to
Vic Baron