sawstop - dado blade and bypass

Kind of frustrated here. It's the first decent weekend to be in the shop/garage. I recently upgraded to a sawstop -- 1st it's a great saw - certainly an upgrade from my old Delta contractors saw.
I was getting ready to cut some dados with my 6" dado set and noticed that the cartridge was for an 8" set. That's fine -- I'll just set it in bypass mode and carry on. However the great @#(!?)* electronics won't allow bypass mode unless the cartridge is installed and within the correct spacing to the blade. ARRRGGGGGG. Don't see the point in bypass mode if you have to have a cartridge installed and set within the correct tolerance. Seems like they could've allowed bypass with just a cartridge installed.
Additionally Sawstop doesn't seem to offer a 6" cartridge either so now I have to wait until tomorrow and spend more money on a 8" dado set grrrrrr....
Guess I'll work on the top or drawer frames. Kind of frustrated. Just a heads up.
On 2/16/2014 10:02 AM, xxxx wrote:

You say that like its a bad thing! In the end you'll be happy with the 8" dado.
On 2/16/2014 10:02 AM, xxxx wrote:

Actually that makes sense on them not having a 6". The saws has the power for an 8"
As for the override, that is wierd. I could see you not being able to start it in protected mode, but not in override.
Get a forrest set, I have a ridge set and I am a little less than happy with it. The forrest is a great set.. as are all forrest blades.
--
Jeff

On 2/16/2014 9:02 AM, xxxx wrote:

IIRC the specifications for the saw and the dado brake call only for an 8" blade set.
I bought the industrial version about 9 months ago and fortunately already used an 8" set so I did not need to get the larger set.
By the same token you cannot turn the saw on with out a blade mounted.
ARRRGGGGGG. Don't see the point in bypass mode if you have to

Bypass is strictly to over ride the brake should you be cutting questionable material which might trigger the brake, not to allow you to use blade sizes not specified by the manufacturer.

Let me warn you about one other thing. As you know you have to use the large hex wrench on the yellow bolt to adjust the blade clearance to the brake. If you are using a blade that is less than 10", one that has been sharpened, you are probably going to have to readjust that clearance when you put the new 8" dado set in and again when switching back to the the older 10" blade.
This really is no big deal if you pay attention to how much you adjust the bolt. When I change from my older 10" Forrest to my, never been sharpened" Forrest 8" dado set I turn the bolt 2 complete rotations.

So then Delta tenoning jig doesn't work either. The mitre slot is farther away than the Deltas'. I'll have to tweak that UGGGGG. What do you do?
On 2/16/2014 9:35 PM, xxxx wrote:

Is there no adjustment for the tenoning jig??? Few saws are set up with miter slots in the exact same place.
Regardless, I don't use a tenoning jig at all, I mostly use the Festool Domino. ;~)
I'll have to spend time tweaking uggggg
On 2/16/2014 10:33 PM, xxxx wrote:

That's easy enough to fix, just put a piece of MDF on the face of the tenoning jig. MDF is nice and flat no variation
--
Jeff

Hmmmm... I use a Delta Tennon jig on my SS with no issue. I actually bought it at the same time so had never set up the jig for any other saw but it all seems to just work as needed when I use it.

Yea, I just looked at my tenoning jig (woodcraft same look and same type of casting as the previous delta generation).
It has two holes for the miter guide bar. Use the other set of holes. Then painfully re-align the jig... yes it is a pain.
--
Jeff

I'll have to spend time

Maybe I have an older type -- mine has a single set of holes (AFAICT)