Sawstop cabnet saw nearing reality

Page 5 of 6  

wrote:

I actually don't think it's a matter of whether or not they would deploy in the bumping around on the racetrack. I believe it's more of a matter of it not being necessary. With the use of the 5-point harness and head and neck restraint, I suspect the addition of an air bag would add very little to overall safety. By the way, head and neck restraint devices have been mandatory since October 2001 in NASCAR, so I'd say they've "caught on" pretty well. I've looked and can't find a race death in NASCAR since then. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I can't seem to find it if it has.
todd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HANS type devices have caught on very well. Dale Earnhardt didn't wear one and neither did the other 42 drivers that day. Since his death though, they have become mandatory. I'd say that's catching on pretty well. Shame they had to become mandatory and under those circumstances, but at least everyone is wearing them now.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, at least something came from it then.

I guess what I'm saying is that an airbag, while it could be engineered to perform properly in a racecar, is a heavy complicated piece of equipment, and I'm not sure it'd solve any problems that can't be solved in less complicated, lighter ways.
How the heck did we get on this topic anyway?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's pretty much what I've been saying but this fellow Upscale seems a bit miffed that his idea couldn't get off the ground. God bless him for thinking and even for thinking out of the box, or wierdly, since that's where all truly good idead really come from, but he sure does seem sensative if his ideas aren't embraced by one and all.

Ah-ha, it was just a matter of time before this question came up...
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, I'm not miffed in anyway, it's just that sometimes I get caught up in the heat of the discussion. Obviously, I'm lacking a certain amount of knowledge as to why an air bag wouldn't have some value in a race car, but only because I'm a true believer that just because something hasn't been done properly yet, doesn't mean that it's impossible.
I was the driver in an accident once that should have resulted in my death, but I came away with a simple cut on my hand and that was it. When I show a picture of the smashed vehicle to people, some refuse to believe that I was in it during the crash. A seatbelt saved my life so I'm all for the advancement of most all types of safety products for cars. But as many here have told me, we're discussing racing vehicles, not family cars.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Upscale wrote:

It's possible to shoot yourself in the head but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Lousy comparison John.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Upscale wrote:

It wasn't a "comparison". The point was making was that just because something is _possible_ doesn't mean that it needs to be done.
--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I meant only to point out the absurdity of his characterization of the contact between NASCAR racers as "a little rubbing". Anyone who had ever seen a NASCAR race, even once, would know that it's a *lot* more than that. Which adds a little ironic humor to his characterization of the rest of us as a bunch of armchair quarterbacks or whatever it was.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not once did I claim to be knowledgeable in regards to Nascar racing. I guess that doesn't make me the arrogant asshole you appear to be.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

To which you replied:
"Of course you wouldn't want one going off just because of a little rubbing."

Perhaps not, but comments like that one certainly do.
-- Regards, Doug Miller (alphageek-at-milmac-dot-com)
Get a copy of my NEW AND IMPROVED TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter by sending email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com You must use your REAL email address to get a response.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Got it. OK, you can give him the sign now then.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote in message news:P1DCc.25032>

I seen you before - you're all over the internet and you're all over where people are discussing things. You're the guy that takes a statement made by a person and twists it so that you can force your own conclusion. Sorry, but I never said danger was of no consideration in the sport. I simply replied to your broad sweeping assertion that airbags would not be placed in race cars because of the macho, danger image that is so important to the racing industry. I challenged that assertion, demonstrated the outright lunacy of that statement and challenged your very knowledge of the sport you feel so free to speak about. You need to go back and read the thread again. Don't bother me again until you can employ intellectual honesty in a discussion. Those who argue like you argue simply for the sake of the argument and I don't have any interest in that.

No - read what I wrote again - airbags would bring nothing to the sport. Kindly explain what purpose they would serve that is not already served by the 5 point harness. An airbag is a restraint device. What more restraint is needed in a race car? Now, if you had asserted that they provide a better degree of g-force management than a 5 point harness, I would agree to a point, but you didn't. There - I made your argument for you. The counter point to that however would be that other technologies such as crumple zones and controlled releases of energy are likely to be better alternatives than the airbag. I'm not saying airbags will never appear in race cars, but I am saying that right now they offer nothing that existing technologies do already. No benefit, no point in making the investment.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Upscale wrote:

Uh, what racing class do these goalies run in and what is the sanctioning body?

That the people who run organized hockey aren't as safety conscious as the ones who run organized racing?

Such as?

With all the safety features in the world people will still manage to die on the racetrack.
--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Upscale wrote:

Uh, the folks who control organized automobile racing are _very_ safety conscious. That's why the Mille Miglia is no longer run, it's why the Monza oval with the famed Wall is no longer used, it's why many tracks have had multiple chicanes added, it's why nearly if not all organizations require self-sealing fuel cells, and on and on.
--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

nope.
race car seat belts are the most expensive, best engineered sealtbelts around, and all of the extra weight of those roll cages can't be helping their lap times any. considering that some of those cars cost upwards of a million bux, the cost of air bags, even custom made ones, is nothing. hell, part of the machismo of race cars is the "mine cost more than yours did" bit.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hey, I'd go. Providing they got rid of all that noise, the fumes and the beer. It would be better each brand of car had the same color paint. It would make for a much better experience. ;)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote in message

Haw! Now that's funny.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

nope.
on the race track with all of the jostling for position and stiff suspensions and whatnot the opportunities for false deployments is much higher than for the highway. at 200MPH the result is certain to involve the loss of control of a race car, generally in the middle of a pack of other race cars. I'd guess airbags in race cars would cause more accidents than they would be worth, IN THAT ENVIRONMENT.
for that matter, seatbelts DO present a choking hazard. I don't know how much of one, but it is not zero, probably highest for kids and very short people. however, they present a net gain in safety for passenger vehicles.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
One of the reasons for the adjustable height types. And child seats.
Standard seatbelt injuries are clavicles (collarbones) and for those wearing them high on their bellies, against advice, possible spleen. Other than that, abrasions.
Seems the only thing that works as advertised, even when you do nothing right, is that airbag.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.