Sawstop cabnet saw nearing reality

Page 3 of 6
installation. You obviously don't follow motor sports in order for you to

So, you're telling me that danger in the sport has no consideration? That's a crock and you know it. I never said that safety doesn't fit motor sports, what I said essentially is that there's a slowly changing limit to which safety is incorporated in it, otherwise the sport loses it's thrill to a great many people. Would you go to races where there was absolutely no chance of injury or death? Many wouldn't.
Your assertion that air bags are impractical in race car driving is solely based on the fact that it hasn't been done yet. Not a very reliable viewpoint to base your argument on.
Upscale writes:

Sorry, but I've watched a couple NASCAR races, and the bumping and banging would set off almost any airbag sensor you can dream up. An airbag in the face at 190+ MPH has to be a cause of immediate loss of control, which is going to be a real fun occasion when that driver is in the middle of a pack of cars.
Not a workable safety solution, it seems to me.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Of course you wouldn't want one going off just because of a little rubbing. Instead of a vibration control, it could just as easily be a switch that goes off when a certain crush factor is reached. You're thinking of them in regards to their operation in regular vehicles. A race car isn't a regular vehicle, so it would need a different type of switch to set one off.
I agree that in the current racing climate, they're quite likely impractical, but unless someone comes forward who has actually researched such a device for racing purposes and can say different, don't tell me it can't be done. Man as invented many devices much more difficult than a working air bag for a race car.
Upscale responds:

I didn't say it can't be done. I did say it was impractical. There is a difference.
You write of them being impractical in the "current racing climate", but I don't see much different from this racing climate than the one that obtained when King Richard's dad was getting his start back in the '50s. Bumping and banging is part of the game. I figure you'd have to work out a sensor that would set the bag off only with a head-on impact with something other than the rear of another car, say a side panel, or a wall. And, again, there is a loss of control implicit in such a bag going off, with most drivers swearing that having at least minimal control makes them able to avoid even worse consequences during crashes. And they may well be right.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

As testified to by the fact that in the vast majority of racing accidents - even the really brutal ones, the driver never stops driving the car until it comes to rest. Imagine doing that while wrapped in a nylon cocoon.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Practicality aside, is it needed? With the restraint systems the driver wear, it may eliminate the need for air bags. I don't know the answer but if you don't hit the steering wheel or dash you don't need the bag.
On the road, seat belt use is in the 40% to 50% range IIRC, on the track it is 100% of a much more sophisticated system.. If granny won't wear a lap belt on the way to the liquor store, doubt she will don a helmet and 5 point restraint system. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I looked up the seatbelt use statistics for an earlier response in this thread. The figures on seat belt use are 79% now which is up from 61% in 1997.
todd
Todd Fatheree responds:

I wonder how they check those figures. Is it just the routine of traffic stops, counting how many of those stopped have belts hooked up. WV kept saying it had 87+% compliance in certain areas, while the previous week or month was supposed to have been 85% or 89%. In 2-1/2 years there, I was never once stopped, in town or out, by a cop while driving, yet the counts were always there. Sampling works, or so the samplers tell us, but...how do they sample this particular situation?
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

stops,
It's probably pretty easy for a cop to see if a belt is across the shoulder or not. I can't imagine too many people bothering to put the shoulder part across, but not fasten the belt.
Upscale responds:

I don't think so. With the newer height adjustable shoulder belts, they're nearly invisible from outside on many cars.
Too, where would he get a count on which to base his 100%-85% figures?
If it's just an eyeball check of whatever comes by with a guesstimate of the 2 totals, it's exactly the same stuff that falls behind the male bovine.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Could be. Only thing I know is that a good friend of mine was a cop (sergeant) and he continually noticed obscure things that I'd never have seen if he didn't point them out to me. My only guess is that his job and the training he'd received forced him to see things most people would miss.

Maybe so, but I'd see like you coming from a mile off. :)

Not only impractical, but of dubious utility. Race car drivers wear 5-point harnesses, full-face helmets, and neck restraints. What is the airbag going to protect them from? An airbag in a passenger car is intended to keep your head from impacting hard parts of the car, and to some extent from your chest hitting the steering wheel, but all that is already being prevented by the other safety measures in race cars. Race drivers pretty routinely survive crashes at speeds well over 100 MPH.
If everyone in a passenger car was belted in and wearing a helmet, there would be no need for airbags in them either.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Yeahbut.... imagine how hard it would have been to get that first piece of as* back in your high school days...
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

No harder than it already was.
todd

Hm. What does a car have to do with getting any?
I had no car through college. I never felt frustrated getting any.

The post I responded to was talking about high school. Your opportunities for location of amorous behavior in high school are more limited than in college.
todd
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca wrote:

That's odd, I felt frustrated from *not* getting any. :-)

Well, no. I've seen plenty of steering wheels bent by the chests of people who were fully seatbelted; an airbag would have been softer. One guy had the imprint of the chevy bowtie bruised into his chest, along with the seatbelt bruises. Also, side impact and/or curtain airbags protect against directional forces that the seatbelts just can't (unless we went to 5-point, which will never happen).
It's a system, to be used one with the other, not one instead of the other. Both together are drastically better than either alone.