Sawstop Cabinet Saw

Page 6 of 7

That's not part of the SawStop technology, though, nor is it in any way unique to that brand.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

True. But it's relatively rare in american saws. The PM2000 and Laguna saws are the only other ones I know of.
Chris

You're right there, but the way the patent office works these days, I would not be surprised if someone was able to patent the rising & falling riving knife.
Just imagine if someone like Selden came along 75 or 100 years ago and patented the tablesaw.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote:

I think I'll send that in. Thanks for the suggestion. <g>
--
Regards,
() wrote:

Ah-ha! But Doug - you are so precise that it's a guarantee that your patent application will be difinitive to the T. Leaving lots of room of course, for others of us to circumvent your design and patent similar technologies...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Doug Miller wrote:

The riving knife adresses kickback. Does hand/blade contact result from kickback?
TSW632 wrote:

In many instances, absolutely. If you're lucky, the blade will yank the piece of stock out of your hand and throw it at you .. .. if not, the blade will catch the piece of stock, lift it, and befin to rotate it as the teeth get a good bite. Depending on your hand position at this moment, you could come down on the blade with a finger/hand/or even a wrist.
Only if you are leaning/reaching over the blade which only a DUMASS would do.

Without a blade guard, which takes even a bigger dumbass.
Doug Miller wrote:

Did a Google search .. still cannot find verification of a false-trigger .. .. never said it didn't/couldn't happen .. just that I can't track it down.

I did locate info. verifying that the owner did, in fact petition to have "Sawstop-like" technology mandated on new saws made in the U.S. .. .. BUT .. .. ONLY after having met with officials from other tool companies who resisted his technology ONLY in the interest of their own bottom-line. Face it .. if Powermatic/Delta/Grizzly adopted this technolgy, they would have one heck of a time selling off and supporting their old stock. THEY don't care about you or your fingers .. .. they care about corporate profits .. .. PLUS .. .. they are afraid of being sued at some point in time for not having adopted a known safety technology. According to my Google search, he was told by one major tool representative that IF his device ever came to market, THEY could easily go bankrupt. After going toe-to-toe with folks of that caliber, I really don't blame him for pulling out all the stops and trying his petition tactic. I don't really agree with that tactic but I do understand it.

Riving-knife .. .. and a well-designed one at that .. .. BUT .. .. you still have the option of removing it, hence my final comment about ALMOST making kickbacks impossible, but saving your fingers if you circumvent it.
I noticed you conveniently "snipped" all of the factual data that was of a positive note .. .. ..
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:18:27 -0500, <<<__ Bob __>>> wrote:

Uh, that's _his_ spin.

If they were afraid of that then they would have adopted it as soon as it became available.

And who is reporting this?

Oh, it's understandable but it's not forgiveable.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Besides its namesake feature, the whole saw is designed to increase safety compared to more traditional saws. Probably the main improvement is the riving knife (splitter) that rises and falls with the blade, allowing it to say in place for most any cut. I'm not enthused by the company's politics and think the sawstop brake thing is overhyped and overdesigned, but IMHO the riving knife that falls with the blade is a desireable feature for both safety and performance.
I'm no patent lawyer, and I don't know exactly what the sawstop patents cover, but I dont see how anyone could patent the broad idea of a safety device that stops a sawblade or any other type of moving machinery. There's just too much prior art. I suppose there is some merit in the sensor design part of the patent, but even so, I don't see that as being something unique, it could be done another way.
Did you ever try to select a floor in an elevator with the touch-style buttons by tapping them with a pencil?
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Why is it a big deal? Thousands of companies try to get their products approved and mandated by the government. Maybe someone working on the campaign lost a limb and didn't want to see that happen to others.
If the technology were mandated, think of how fast the price would drop. That would benefit everybody.
Doug Miller wrote:

I have heard that SawStop is even going to charge for their products and the dealers will collect sales tax. Damn them. They are doing every thing so legal. I bet they even have a patent on their technology. They don't fight fair. Damn... ;~)

After all is said and done; how do you like your Sawstop? Have you had any false triggers etc.? Does it perform (in your opinion) as a $3K saw should? Thanks, Hank
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:27:01 -0600, M Berger wrote:

"Approved" for Federal purchase is fine. "Mandated" for products not sold to the government is not.

What makes you think the price would drop? If it was mandated and nobody could circumvent Sawstop's patents then they could charge whatever they wanted to for it.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

They have been reported in this group by owners of the saw.

So, the brake device fires when it detects a possible kickback situation? That's news to me. Please explain how it does that and how it differentiates a normal cut from a possible kickback situation.
CW wrote:

WHERE did I ever make THAT statement ?? ?? ??
The riving knife prevents kickbacks .. the brake helps you stay intact IF you fail to use it. Sheesh !! !! !!
I quoted your statement. Try reading. Here it is again.

He quoted your statement above -- duh. That's what I was taking issue with, too -- your claim that the blade brake will protect you in the event of a kickback.

And what does that have to do with the blade brake?
--
Regards,