Sawstop Cabinet Saw

Page 1 of 7
Does anyone have one?

Several here to. Lee Valley has a bunch in their stores.

More often it is compared to the Powermatics.

Given that this is your second identical such query in the last couple of days, and given that a couple of perfect answers to the first one were posted, (namely to do a search to obtain the voluminous data extant relating to your question), I'm led to the conclusion that you don't want to do the research, but are more interested in letting others do your work for them.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Thanks for all the helpful answers! No doubt you have all spent the $3,000 but don't have time to talk about your saws. FYI, my other post, and any answers, has disappeared, so I tried again thinking it never got out. Yep, I can search as well as any, but also wanted some fresh ideas from current users of current saws. WL

I understand that Wilson, but if you had done a quick search you would have found some very recent discussions on the topic. There isn't really going to be anything any fresher than what has been discussed over the past couple of months. It is common courtesy to first search and then ask, just in the name of not asking questions that have been discussed frequently or recently.
As to your other post disappearing and all that - even to the point of your original post... if you really wanted to hear something new, or you had problems seeing your original post, a simple explanation would save you a lot of grief. To simply post the question as you did and then follow it up with the very same question after others had responded is only going to earn the types of responses you saw.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Since the saw has only actually been in workshops for less than two years (or thereabouts), anything you read from the archives will likely be as fresh as you could possibly need, even if it's 1 year and 10 months old. And certain to be in the archives are two threads that I can think of posted here within the last two months.
Incidentally, your other post (and any answers) are (drum roll) in the archives.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Wilson wrote:

Almost all the post to text news groups can be access through the "Google Groups" archives. The URL for the "Google Groups" advanced search engine is:
http://groups-beta.google.com/advanced_search
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Wilson wrote:

ALL RIGHT!! EVERYBODY MOVE ALONG NOW.......NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!!
Robatoy wrote:

AAAAAMMMMEN!
It makes me wish (just a little) when someone like Unisaw100 would simply wipe out any text of the OP's, and just put:
DAGS
Robert
Robatoy (in snipped-for-privacy@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com) said:
| Wilson wrote: || Does anyone have one? |||| How's it compare to Unisaws? |||| Wilson | | | ALL RIGHT!! EVERYBODY MOVE ALONG NOW.......NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!!
PLEASE, SIR, STEP AWAY FROM THE ABYSS!!
Morris Dovey wrote:

THIS WAY TO THE EGRESS -->
--
It's turtles, all the way down

For my two cents, Wilson.....
I would not buy a SS. For the $$ it will require you could go to grizzly.com, buy a very nice cabinet saw and have plenty of balance for other equipment. For some folks the SS might be worth the extra money. The premium you would pay is certainly cost effective as compared to an injury. I think it would depend on a self assessment of your safety habits and risk. And, personally I don't mind seeing your post. While this topic *has* been raised and well discussed, that does not always mean the specific/exact info you are seeking is within the archive.
Thanks. There's some impetus from SWMBO, just for the safety aspect and the money is there. However, I wouldn't want it if it's not an excellent saw, safety or not. WL

Considering the circumstances, I'd buy it. Nothing wrong with a little extra safeguard.

Particularly if SWMBO has cleared it already.
An approved, quality tool is a good tool.
Patriarch, whose wife used to confuse a Unisaw and a Sawzall, in conversation, at least...

I believe it is a well made saw - no issues there.
Hi I'm a long time lurker.....
Sawstop...we have one in our shop at work (Hatteras)....also have two unisaws
pros......love the lefthand bevel/besmyer type fence/saftey stop
cons.....although it has been stopped twice because of friction and metal tape near blade while the lights where not aligned @ $300 to $500 each time or so they tell us. also blade guard is a bit flimsy and has caused the saw to be tagged 3 times (shut down for repair).also for our cabinet shop, it is used 80% to cut plywood, it doesn't have the power ,(maybe belts are slipping
saftey wise ..go for it......otherwise go to grizzley/unisawpowermatic
have had a old powermatic...new unisaw..new grizz....would take them first and still have some change
for what it's worth
alan

alan wrote:

With 3, 5, and 7.5 horse motors, I have doubts it's underpowered. Maybe, as you say, the belts are slipping.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

That is an issue you need to be prepared for. I know of only one saw and it has "stopped" without reason once in the 4-6 months since it was purchased. The owner runs a Cabinet shop and bought it under pressure from the Insurance Co. He said that it cost him about $400 but the biggest issue was downtime waiitng for the new parts. While it is mostly anecdotal, misfires seem to be an issue.
Good Luck!