SawStop arbor Bearings

Page 2 of 2
On 4/10/2013 5:17 PM, woodchucker wrote:

The SS has a 4" hose leading from the blade capture area to the port at the back of the saw. IIRC SS indicates as little as 350CFM which is pretty small amount. I wold think that the shop vac might be able to keep up and or clear the hose providing you did not for get to turn it on. FWIW a typical regular sized dust collector will pull 3 times what is needed.
The SS guys are very knowledgeable and eager to answer questions. I am sure they could tell you if you vac would be adequate.
Having said that a DC would be a heck of a lot quieter than your average shop vac. You might want to make a deal with your dealer to buy a DC too. :~) SawStop is like Festool, no deals.
On 4/10/2013 6:38 PM, Leon wrote:

it with Carpet that I picked up, and chambers to redirect the air. it's quiet. I have blast gates on all the machines. I open the blast gate and it turns the vac on.
I might have to buy a HF electric winch to lower it to the basement. roll it down the stairs (prepared with planks) and use the winch to control it's decent.... Was looking at the 30" it has a lower end fence, the 36" might be the way to go for me. Think I'll take a trip this weekend...
--
Jeff

On 4/10/2013 6:36 PM, woodchucker wrote:

the 1.75hp version. So If you want the 3hp you have to go with at least the 36" fence.
On 4/10/2013 8:08 PM, Leon wrote:

losing some realestate in the shop and getting the 6" that I don't really need. I have not needed a bigger table..
--
Jeff

On 4/10/2013 9:11 PM, woodchucker wrote:

http://www.sawstop.com/products/compare/
The left two columns are the ones that have the 3hp option and I do not see a 30" width available in those columns.
On 4/10/2013 11:13 PM, Leon wrote:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2084907/39543/sawstop-3-hp-professional-cabinet-saw-with-30-premium-fence-system--pcs31230pfa30.aspx
While I did look at the sawstop site, I am probably buying from my local Woodcraft, or Amazon
--
Jeff

On 4/11/2013 5:15 PM, woodchucker wrote:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2084907/39543/sawstop-3-hp-professional-cabinet-saw-with-30-premium-fence-system--pcs31230pfa30.aspx

Well no, Rockler offers that one too. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
On 4/11/2013 6:39 PM, Leon wrote:

Going to take a look see again.
--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote:

A suggestion.
If you are serious about updating your saw as well as your D/C system on a per tool basis, consider also updating the electrical system for the S/S and D/C as follows:
Install a magnetic motor starter for the S/S that has under voltage protection as well as an auxiliary control contact for the D/C.
Install a magnetic motor starter for the D/C along with a separate "start/stop" push button station for the D/C as well as a "start/stop" push button station for the S/S.
Interlock the P/B stations as well as the motor starters so that when you start the S/S, the D/C is also automatically started.
When you stop the S/S, the D/C is also automatically stopped.
All other equipment that uses the D/C, uses the "start/stop" push button station for the D/C.
As time passes and funds become available, other equipment (Jointer, router, planer, etc) can have their motor starters upgraded to magnetic starters.
Next thing you know, your done.
Lew
On 4/10/2013 7:31 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

picking up the dust. I have it hooked to a Thien separator and every tools has a blast gate. I have a low voltage relay so each gate when opened will turn the system on. I want a DC but have not really needed it, except for the TS.. and maybe the bandsaw.
I like what you have laid out, I'll save that info for when I do get the DC...
--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote:

The only thing that gets a little trickey are the motor overload relays. especially the S/S and the D/C.
If the motors have internal overload relays, you go one way, if the use external overload relays, you go another.
External overloads are preferred for low voltage systems described earlier.
Have fun.
Lew
On 4/9/2013 10:43 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I did not cut my fingers off, but last Thanksgiving I had a run in with my table saw. It abraded my index finger, and cut the flesh half off of my ring finger. They stitched the end back on.
Point being it has been nearly six months and while I can use all of my fingers, I can not put pressure on the end of the finger. That means while I can use my table saw, any thing (hand sanding, car waxing, etc.) where you put pressure on your finger tips is difficult, and if enough pressure painfull
It may be a long time be for he can do normal things with his fingers.
On 4/10/2013 12:15 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

quite a long time to get back to "what will be" normal with out pain and hyper sensitivity.
.

Many years ago I cut the end off my middle finger (left hand, thankfully) with a circular saw. I was in a hurry and pissed off, and was adjusting the saw while yelling at my employees. My hand slipped, and I ran my finger across the spinning blade. It was a cold day, and the aluminum pieces don't work as well as they should outside, so the guard didn't fully close.
Went to the doctor, and he clipped off the very end of the bone on my finger with a pair of small dykes since the blade splintered the bone and that made him afraid of infection. Put a couple of stitches on the end of my finger after pulling it shut like a sausage. It is slanted and a tiny bit shorter, but otherwise grew back fine.
I'll bet that finger was sensitive for a few years. REALLY sensitive at first, then gradually it tapered off.
It gets better...
Robert

I never realized that you too were a gimp Robert. LOL
Unfortunately it gives us a real life perspective on things.

motor chop the tip of finger pretty badly. It looked like a cigarette load had blown it apart. Broke the bone at the tip and they said it was too chopped up to stitch so they just folded it back together it took a long time to heal then longer for feeling like you and Leon have described real sensitive, but not real feeling. now it's fine but still a little dead in the feeling..
--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote:

Been to that movie, have the scar on the back of my middle finger of my right hand to prove it and that was over 60 years ago.
By chance, that wasn't an Olsen & Rice 0.60 was it?
Lew
On 4/10/2013 8:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

going to the nationals the next week, so I was breaking it in.. since it had just come back from the guy that built it for stunt. Still remember it like it was yesterday. I still wound up going to the nationals with my finger all wrapped up.
--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote:

Different world.
Time brought a lot of change.
Lew

RC, huh? Me too, still occasionally.
TS got my thumb long, long ago, while cutting alternating between 1x and 2x stock and not lowering the blade. I reached across the blade to hold the tail of the stock down, without lifting my hand high enough. It only cut down almost to the bone. I was lucky to get a warning without losing my thumb, like some here.
--
Jim in NC