SawStop?

Page 2 of 7
Barry writes:

Bandsaws--not generally the woodworking type--are used in almost all butcher shops, and in many hunting camps. I've helped cut up deer with such a saw.
Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:52:54 +0000, Dave Jackson wrote:

...and the wheels and the guides and the belt and inside the wheel covers and...
--
Joe Wells

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 05:09:48 GMT, Robert Allison

But it looks like the key point here is that the blade withdraws.
GregP wrote:

No, it does not withdraw, it stops the blade instantaneously (almost). It is like a super fast brake. It has been a while since I saw the article, but IIRC the device has to be replaced once it has been activated. That may have changed.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

It does both, destroying the blade in the process.
Watch the video: <http://www.sawstop.com/howworks.htm
Barry

IIRC, due to the material used in the brake and the speed of the blade, the two actually fuse.
Joe
GregP wrote:

On the table saws it does but the key point is that it stops almost instantaneously. He's touting the thing for all saws, not just table saws.
--
--John
"Robert Allison" wrote in message

My sentiments, exactly.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Let me guess - they did a demo, and said it's shipping "real soon now", right? 5 years ago when I first saw that, it was exciting. Now, it's just another piece of vaporware, until I see one I can buy.

Here you go. There is a click-to-order link right on this page: http://www.sawstop.com/Contractor_Price_List.htm
Actually, on the NPR piece they interviewed at least one or two people who had them in use.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

But is it shipping to consumers?

Yes, I understand that prototypes exist. Unless something changed very recently, that's _all_ that's out there. This is the very definition of "vaporware".
Usually vaporware does not exist even in prototype. This is more like beta testing...
Dave Hinz wrote:

Tell that to Microsoft, Oracle, Blizzard, etc etc etc.
Awful long beta test...
Dave Hinz wrote:

(I heard this yesterday... <g>)
ORACLE -- "O"ne "R"eal "A"**hole "C"alled "L"arry "E"llison
-- Mark

The people interviewed who had them were contractors and/or cabinet shops. The impression I got was they had bought them and were using them. Now a couple were waiting for delivery also, so I don't know if there are truly more than a few early production/prototypes out there or what. I don't really care, but it *sounded* like they were in production.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Well of course it did. Snake oil salesmen are good at making things sound better than they are.

--
--John
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

And if you check the link that gets you there, it says "preorder". In other words you give the guy your money and maybe he'll send you a saw one day and maybe he'll send himself to Rio instead.

--
--John

The report from FWW last month explained the delay. 3-4 years ago (don't think it was 5) the inventor tried to market it to conventional saw designers to include as an option on normal saws. It didn't sell. Conspiracy theorists might suspect that by placing this protection on *some* saws, hen manufacturers would be admitting that unequipped saws are dangerous, raising their liability level. The SawStop company gave up and set up manufacturing themselves, though I believe they still would be willing to market the components to other manufacturers.

You misspelled sugar-coated. After nobody wanted it, they tried to get regulations enacted which would mandate their product. Nice way to do business.

Or maybe they just realized it was a bad idea when you really think about it.

and took up lobbying the safety commissions.

And outsourced the manufacture to some taiwanese company

They would be willing to sell it anywhere. Unfortunately they have not been successful at attracting buyers or delivering product.
-j

I've heard that, but never seen an actual cite for it. If you could point me to one, I'd be happy to loathe them for ethical reasons as well as my current dislike of them for marketing and development reasons.

Yabut, there's an "order now" button on the website I hear... probably no ship date, but you can order one.