SawStop?

Page 1 of 7
Did anyone else catch the NPR piece on the SawStop TS yesterday? Any thoughts? Here's the link to it:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyIdA82602

Saw stop has been the subject of much discussion around these parts. It is also the subject of an article in the latest Fine Woodworking magazine. The video on the page you've linked to is impressive. There is no doubt that the device works. I doubt if it will ever become law, however.
Frank
Hmmmm... Indeed there is. Serves me right for waiting so long to look at the latest issue :-P
Frank Ketchum wrote:

There is no doubt that

Does No ONE care about the thousands of hot dogs that have been slaughtered by this device?! You people are so insensitive.
-j
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:15:20 -0600, Darin
Bizarrely, there was a posting in alt.obituaries about it

What's even more bizarre, is that Andy is apparently watching alt.obituaties.

Better to be on the outside, looking in

So, just trying to plan your day then? If you're in there, no point in making that 10:15 meeting?
Darin wrote:

I read about this in Tools of the Trade about a year ago. The inventor (Steve Gass) actually put his own finger into a saw blade to prove its effectiveness. Said he only got a scratch.
I have many times looked at my TS blade while it was running and thought about that. That is faith in your equipment.
I have never been cut by a table saw. If I could use the technology, I think I would rather have it on my miter saw. I have my hands much closer to the blade on that than anything else.
Another thing to think about: What if you needed to rip some ball park franks sometime? Could you disable it?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Isn't that why you need a bandsaw?
Patriarch
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 07:15:40 +0000, wrote:

Nah, you don't need anything that big for hot dogs. A scrollsaw will do nicely. You only need the bandsaw for the Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas ham.
--
Joe Wells

Dont laugh to much, but i used my band saw to cut up all the sugar pumpkins SWMBO and I grew into small pieces to make fresh pumpkin pies this year. Pumpkins are difficult to cut up, even with a large sharp knife, band saw took minutes, and a few minutes afterward to clean the goop off the blade and table! --dave

Dave Jackson wrote:

"A Prarie Home Companion" of a few years back had guys making cinnamon rolls on their lathes.
-- Mark

Spade bits work well for making round eyes in jack-o-lanterns, as well. Makes a hella mess, which adds to the fun for the kids.
Dave Hinz

I've bandsawed hard squashes in half, slots in tennis balls, foam rubber into custom case linings, cardboard, milk crates, CDs, hard drives... You name it!
Barry
Ba r r y wrote:

Inquiring minds want to know more! Sounds like there is a story here! <g>
-- Mark
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:59:50 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

When I dispose of an old computer, I just want to be SURE the data is unrecoverable. <G> Platters in multiple pieces, disposed in multiple places can help.
Barry

Not quite up to DOD standards (molten slag due to thermite), but close enough for _my_ data disposal needs.
Dave Hinz
Ba r r y wrote:

I'd chuck 'em in the lathe or drill press and apply 40 grit to the platters until there was no trace of coating left.

--
--John
Ba r r y wrote:

They are great for skeet shooting.