Sawmill Question saw it green or let it rest

I read in a book that if you let timber "rest" and dry out they are more stable after you saw them into lumber, my wife's Grandfather (who owns a sawmill) and has lot more experience at this likes to saw green "easier to run though the mill", anyone have any some light to share on this?

probably going to saw some of it green, don't have the space for all of it to cure at once. I getting this from a co-worker, Tonight was the first time I saw the tree, I got some of the branches they are over 1' thick, the trunk is about 2 1/2' to 3' thick, I'm going to have to saw it down to get it to fit on the sawmill. Next I need to convince him to let me help prune his cherry orchard, apple orchard, and some other trees I think are peaches.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Clements

Saw it green, stack and stick in a 'log pile' , seal or cleat the ends of the boards and leave for a long time outside and under cover. This is a highly technical subject - how you convert logs into useable timber - but that is the simple system.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

sawing green is best for the mill because the moisture in the wood helps cool and lubricate the blade. on a cicular mill this isnt as big an issue as it is on a bandsaw mill. ya break more blades with dryed lumber. you get more stable lumber and a little more usable wood sawing dry logs but the cost for blades and wear and tear on the mill voids any savings. at least thats what drand dad says and he has run a mill for over 50 years.[ recently retired at age 89 ]

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

some types of wood will spoil in the log, others it's o.k. to have around for a while. some woods will spalt if left in the log, adds to color and character example hard maple or birch. for the most of it it's best to keep the log wet. i've been exporting hardwood veneer logs for over 20 years, quite commonly logs will be stored in water or under a sprinkling system to keep them moist. ross

Ross Hebeisen