Sawmill Creek forum

Just ran into Sawmill Creek forum after doing a search on Google. Seems like a really great resource for woodworking. Everything from Boat building tools woodcarving and projects. If your interested:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Started in 2003 by several disenfranchised Badger Pond refugees when that formu closed. It started out as a good forum with great people, but I never liked the software. Later, it evolved into a forum with moderators who apparently really like moderating. If that's your cup of tea, enjoy. The software still sucks.
At the same time that it started, many of the same disenfranchisees discovered WoodCentral (http://www.woodcentral.com ) which had been in place for a while. It had much more of the look and feel of the old BP, and it has been my principal home for the last five years.
The owner is Ellis Wallentine, former editor of one of the woodworking mags, and well known in the woodworking industry. You won't hear that from him. He is the most understated forum owner/moderator you'll ever find. First class guy.
You'll probably not even be able to tell it's a moderated forum. If there is more than five "Admin" posts a year, I'd be surprised. I don't even know who all the moderators are, and I am heavily involved in the forum (I format the articles into HTML and WC look and feel).
Give it a look.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I don't know much about Sawmill Creek, but I do know Ellis (not well), and WoodCentral. I haven't spent my normal amount of time there in the last year or so while working on my book (hell, I haven't spent much time talking to my wife, either), but Ellis is a class act, and WC is an excellent site (bunch of sites, really). He was the long time editor of American Woodworker, before RD changed its entire look and aim, during the glory days of that magazine.
Been a Sawmill Creek contributor for a few years now. Lots if good information and posts. And yes, the moderators keep on top of things but I like that as a general rule. They do ask for a donation of $6.00 a year for full access but for the most part it's not required. A couple of the subjects are contributor only but most are generally accessible. Also, try woodnet.net forum. Ever bit as good as Sawmill Creek. They seem to have a few more classified postings than other forums. I have tried wood central from time to time but there is just too much off topic stuff for me. YMMV
On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

Just took a look there.
Thinking about migrating.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

not as staunch as Woodweb (where I do get a lot of info).
On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:05:24 +0000, LRod wrote:

sawmill creek annoys me. I supplement this newsgroup with the lumberjocks website.
evodawg wrote:

I tried Sawmill Creek. Since they wanted a real name I signed on with R. Payne (instead of my usual son_of_bluegrass) and sign my post with ron. After a few days I was told that wasn't good enough. I haven't been back. If you like that much moderation then I'm sure it is a good forum. The woodwork forums I do frequent are www.woodcentral.com www.forums.woodnet.net ww.woodworkforums.com
ron

There's one even worse. It's called Family Woodworking or something like that. I have a couple of friends that belong to it and they invited me to take a look. The first thing I noticed is that (like Sawmill Creek started doing a while back) unless you are signed in (which obviously means registered, too), most any images attached to a post don't display. I cannot for the life of me figure out why that's a good idea. If you want to attract viewers and members, shouldn't you make the content available so they can decide?
But the worse thing about the Family Woodworking was when I tried to register using one of my gmail spamtrap addresses, they refused it (auto-bot) and I would have had to write some sort of pleading note to someone to get in. Groucho Marx came to mind and I decided it wasn't the place forr me. Sawmill Creek hasn't been for a long time.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I believe Family woodworking forum was started by some disgruntled Sawmill Creek members. At least that's what someone who was a member and had been banned from SMC told me. He got into some kind of off limits discussion or dissed someone or publicly agreed with another member on some subject the moderators were against. I did check it out a couple of times but it didn't really have a large enough membership to bother going back. Plus there are only so many hours in a day and who has the time to monitor more than one or two.
Mike in Arkansas wrote:

clickish. I already had one of my posted pictures in an OFF Topic area removed because they thought it to resque. Someone had asked about linux and I took a snapshot of my desktop and posted it. It was fairly innocent and they said it was not a place for a family forum. I should post the pick on A.B.P.woodworking.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:
... snip

Please do, would like to get a data point to determine whether it is worthwhile to explore over there.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I joined long ago, looked around for a few days and never even bothered to post. One of the problems with moderated forums - the big dog has to occasionally piss on someone's tree to let you know who's in charge.
Add web based messaging to the mix and I'll take Usenet any day.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08