Sawless and What to Do?

Well, they picked up the defective saw, and although I still have my old saw, I sold it to a friend. SWMBO is going away for a week to a trade show in LV, and I was hoping to do a little WWing during that time. Friend wants to pick up 'his' new saw for the weekend.

So now I have NO table saw...

Maybe I should just sell it all...

On the plus side my Lee Valley order arrived - no complaints as usual. But the 8 Bessy K's didn't arrive - backordered until Jan. 6.

1 item was Japanese. Three were Taiwanese, one was Chinese. The Face Shield, an OAP (AOP?), I assume was made in the USA. And some drill bits were made in the USA, but reground in Canada.

Weeeeeee.....

I guess I'll go paint the garage door and watch Predator 20 more times. :-\

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

God I love to see people who know how to live life to the fullest!!!!!!!!

You didn't mention beer.

Hang in there!

Reply to
RonB

I'm probably the only fool in the world that has painted his garage, a wall at a time and months apart, due to having to move machinery, dodge ongoing restoration of the house, and bad weather. It's so infrequent that I can even SEE the walls.

And Arnold, what can you say. Crummy Politician, but makes a good Alien Movie - Kick-Ass and take names later!

As for the beer, although I used to put away quite a bit, I hardly drink at all anymore. A bottle of Bourbon lasts 5 years. Most of it was due to being on the prowl - being younger and singler. SWMBO drinks a little more than I, but Thanks for the sentiment!

This too, shall pass...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 05:05:29 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg G. quickly quoth:

I did the same thing here once I moved to OR. I had to move machinery to paint the floor, and a white floor is NICE to have. This shop with

4 white walls (and white ceiling and floor) is at least 5 times brighter than my old one with the same amount of fluor lighting!

I lived in LoCal during Gray Davis's reign. I'd much rather have lived under Arnie's reign. MUCH!

- Don't be a possum on the Information Superhighway of life. ----

Dynamic Database-Driven Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do your friend a favor. Help him move the saw and hang out at his place giving him helpful tips on proper saw usage.

Reply to
marks542004

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 05:05:29 -0500, Greg G. scribbled:

True, you are. I only paint half the wall at a time, and years apart.

:-)

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

I have considered painting the floor, mine is bare concrete and I hate it. But since we want to move and ultimately I want the buyer to have a nice, seamless paint job, I've not done it. I'm not letting my equipment sit outside while the epoxy dries...

But I did pick out a particularly reflective shade of white for the walls - and the difference it made was dramatic.

Yea, that's what got Davis recalled, I assume. The better half's parents live in Santa Barbara, her sister in the Sierra Nevada's - so I keep an eye on what goes on there.

Besides, it's such a zoo...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

In my case, that would be the siding, door and windows - so far, a two year job by myself. 3 stories of very poor workmanship having to be repaired. House is two different colors and textures... Kinda like a kids fun house - each wall with a unique character. Oh, well...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Just dropped off the better half at the airport. A solid week of NO INTERUPTIONS - But, alas, no saw...

Problem is, he has no room, and no equipment. No planer, jointer, bandsaw, chisels, planes, dust collector, etc...

He just wants to saw up some MDF for his daughter's desk. Not exactly woodworking... I believe he owns a rusty hand saw and a hammer. :-\

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:17:08 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg G. quickly quoth:

Since my floor had already been sealed, I used porch paint. It's not as tough as epoxy, but it was less than half the price and about a tenth the hassle and danger of etching the floor, cleaning it, drying it, and installing the 2-part goop. I'm happy.

I used flat paint, pure white. It's great.

Yabbut, where ISN'T? I used to think that CA was overregulated until I moved north one state. You have to have a contractor's license, a $5k bond, and $300k of liability insurance to do handyman work inside anyone's home up here. That's about $2k/year if you include the testing/licensing and you're limited to making $40k/year on the limited license. The full license requires half a mil in insurance and a $15k bond. The unions have this place sewn up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

I've considered porch paint. But I DO want it to hold up on a bare floor.

That and a bank of good lights... Great, isn't it?

Heck, they'll let any old beaner swing a hammer here. Pay'em with old TVs and crap from the garage. Probably explains all the repairs I've had to do on THIS house. Most of the really good guys left years ago.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:25:47 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg G. quickly quoth:

It should be sealed first, for any use. No big.

The stuff is pretty tough but will scrape off with a metal post being dragged over it. I think an epoxy would go with that, too. Another nice thing is the immediate touchup with non-epoxy paint.

Yeah, the 40 watters @ 120Hz, no more of the cheap 34w fluors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

Thanks. It's still two or three days out in the cold for my tools, however. And around here, they would vanish in a heartbeat.

I was worried about defacing it when dragging various projects and power tools across the floor. It's tough to do some things by yourself. I have a stack of new mini-car floor mats that I pickup up dumpster div... wait... recycling discarded products that I use to ease the pain. And, of course, wheels.

I use the 4' 32W T-8 bulbs. Almost as many lumens as the T-12/40s. High light, great efficiency, electronic 22kHz ballast, low mercury. I hate the strobing effect from the 60hz power line and incandescent's have the wrong color temp and look dim. I use 5000K tri-spectrums. But those horrid 34w ES tubes just plain... well, you know...

They are the pulls from my aquariums - they get changed out before they actually fail, and I transfer them to the shop. Works great and I don't have to have 15 kinds of bulbs laying around. If it's good for plants and corals, it must be good for me, right? ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:27:53 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg G. quickly quoth:

I painted my floor in thirds. I could shove everything over to one side and paint a coat a day. 2 days later (plenty of dry-time) I'd move things over onto the painted area and paint the freed area. It took over a week, but everything got painted while still in the gar... er, shop.

The newest fixtures I bought can go with T-8s so I'm going to be retrofitting them as the old bulbs die. The first set of electronic fixtures ate bulbs like they were the Chiwanese import incandescents.

30+ in under 3 years for 4 fixtures. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ayup. Nasty.

No comment. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

What did you seal it with?

What if you don't HAVE 1/3 free. ;-) It's getting _really_crowded in there...

Just change out the ballasts and make sure the new fixtures have a name brand, rated ballast. Of course, there IS the problem of the ballast costing almost what the fixture costs - unless you buy bulk.

I bought one of those hanging 'shop lights' once - needed something fast - it ate bulbs about as fast as you could shove them in. It's in the local landfill. Best $12.95 + $18 in bulbs _I_ never saved.

Hey, I least I didn't say mushrooms...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 09:20:42 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg G. quickly quoth:

I assume it was a concrete sealer. It was done before I moved in. The last owner turned the garage into another room and walled in the garage door. Luckily, it was reversible.

If you can't figure out how to move things around enough to paint the floor, you don't deserve a painted floor, Greg.

Hints: lighter objects can be stacked either there or in the house (under tarps if absolutely necessary) for a short while (week.) Damn the Wife: Full Speed Ahead!

White floor = easily found dropped objects, such as Jesus clips, eyeglass screws, teensy springs, etc.

I replaced two of them with white-enamelled caged fixtures already, and I put good bulbs in one of the others to see if it was just a bad lot of fluor bulbs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

No, he isn?t crummy. He is a very effective politician, and he knows it. Whether you (or I) like his politics or not, look for Senator Arnold in the future. Personally, unless a politician is an extremist, I?m having difficulty finding any difference between any of them anymore, just some get their agenda thru and some don't. Arnold does more so than most, and he is not an extremist.

Oh, about that table saw? any chance you can have your friend come over and help him cut the MDF and leave the saw with you a while longer until you get a new one?

EDIT: oh, and if you are open for suggestions, might I recommend a Delta Unisaw?

:)

Reply to
joe2

Oh, you're just a girly man... And I refuse to be lured into any more political discussions... ;-) The only major difference? Some are crazier than others...

Ha, Ha... Actually, I've been thinking about that every thing. I hate what they have done to their employees, and I hate the fact that they moved their plants to China, etc, etc. But a Unisaw IS what I wanted - I just have to find a way to get one without the company profiting from it. Where did you say you lived?! When are you at home?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I?m in the San Francisco area, but my saw is guarded by a dog. However, he?s a wimp, will probably help you load it onto your truck?and offer you my tv to boot.

I looked long and hard for a used Unisaw in my area with the intent of refurbishing it as needed. None available. I imagine it would be even more difficult to find one in your area. Some available rather cheaply in NYC and Chicago. Watch craigslist.com.

Reply to
joe2