Sawing with one eye

I am right handed. However, since birth, I suffer from amblyopia - lazy eye - in my right eye.

This means I can not sight down a saw when cutting dovetails or other hand saw procedures. The alternative is to switch hands, which I have tried with minimal results. My left hand is not as strong - nerve damage - as my right.

I chose to use power tools to do any kind of cutting that I would love to use hand tools - dovetails come to mind.

Curious if anyone has dealt with this and what they have done.

If you want to see what this is like, close your dominant hand eye and then try to saw a straight line. It's damn hard.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Not the same thing, but I have an astigmatism which is correct by glasses. Any chance some similar type of adjustment might be used by you.

If not, suggest you contact your ophthalmologist. Chances are he/she will know of something that could help you out. (if one exists)

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

I have had this condition since birth - 64 years ago. Every now and then, I ask my ophthalmologist (if I get one - HMO) if there is any cure.

There is none at my age. If they caught it at birth, there could be some correction, I am way past that now.

It doesn't affect me in anyway, I tell my friends that I see in 2D since I don't have true stereoscopic vision - a reason I don't go to 3D movies). The only downside is not being able to saw a straight line with my dominant hand. Power tools and a guide is what I use most of the time, tablesaw the other times.

When I was small (under 8), I went through a period where I would cover up my left eye with a patch and try to read with my right. I have no idea if it worked or not, as I can see fine with the eye and I can read SOME words (I usually make out some letters and guess), but the words have to be damn big.

Bottom line - I protect my good eye as if it were gold. I put on safety glasses even I am making "a small cut" with a saw or nailing something, anything where something can strike out and hit the only good eye I have.

Thanks for the response, though.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Would an eye patch to cover the other eye work? I'm very interested in what you find out on this.

I am right handed. However, since birth, I suffer from amblyopia - lazy eye - in my right eye. This means I can not sight down a saw when cutting dovetails or other hand saw procedures. The alternative is to switch hands, which I have tried with minimal results. My left hand is not as strong - nerve damage - as my right. I chose to use power tools to do any kind of cutting that I would love to use hand tools - dovetails come to mind. Curious if anyone has dealt with this and what they have done. If you want to see what this is like, close your dominant hand eye and then try to saw a straight line. It's damn hard. MJ

Reply to
Joe

One word:

Jigs

Have a look at

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave,

Well that covers one problem - dovetails, but there are other sawing situations that this won't work.

I have seen these before and hesitant to buy them. I bought another type, years ago and it doesn't quite work. I think the magnets on the Lee Valley one probably make this one better.

I'll put this on my "Christmas" list and see if get something this year.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

------------------------------------

there and drool when you check out JointMaker.

Leave your wallet at home

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:29:09 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

I have a JMP and it's a pretty nice tool, but it has one major downside with a limitation of approximately 6" of cut. For that reason, my JMP is currently on consignment pending sale.

Admittedly, that 6" length limit *was* neither obscured nor hidden during the video ads for the JointMaker. But, it's very easy to disregard that limitation when watching all the exacting and decorative cuts the machine can do.

Reply to
Dave

---------------------------------- Let's see now, a 6" cut can produce a 6" joint.

Sounds like there might be a market for a 6" hand made joint.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 19:50:07 -0700, "Lew Hodgett" >> I have a JMP and it's a pretty nice tool, but it has one major

Yup, just as about as perfect a woodworking joint that one might ever want. Certainly, it's a very exacting machine and fast once one gets used to its intricacies.

It really is a very fine tool. Only consideration (aside from cost) is that someone thinking of buying one should consider it carefully and not be immediately swayed by the video ads. (as I was)

Reply to
Dave

I have somewhat similar problem and I like this:

malm

Reply to
Seismo R. Malm

Ouch! It sure hurts to see Canuckistani Ducats so high compared to the U.S. sheckel.

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

eBay on a whim, and it sat around for a while...seasoning. ;) When I did get around to using it I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and accuracy. I've recommended it to friends and was going to buy one for a buddy's birthday, but found it hard to find and odd that it was unknown to places that normally carry Vaughan & Bushnell, the "manufacturer". They don't even list it on their web site. It seems to be a rebranded Japanese tool judging from the quality and saw configuration.

RicodJour

It sounds like the main problem is getting eye-hand coordination...with the "wrong" eye. The body wants to do something different. Shiny saw blade and chisel reflections have been helping woodworkers visually align cuts for ages. How about using a supplemental mirror or buffing up those tools? This explanation from a wooden boat forum:

"Another thing with the pull saws - they are usually finished almost mirror bright. With practice, one can look at the reflection in the saw and use it to advantage for accurate cutting. For 90 deg. cuts when the saw is plumb and square the arris of the wood will appear straight and true in the reflection. For 45 deg. cuts the reflection will appear as 90 degs. Your point of view should be at an angle with the arris, not directly over it. Experiment with it. It's an interesting technique, and with a good eye can be used for freehand cutting without any layout"

A supplemental mirror would allow you to "relocate" the "wrong" eye to the right side.

RicodJour

Pirate patch over left eye. Fifty cents.

Parrot optional.

Reply to
HeyBub

I wish you read the entire post. I have tried working with my left. My hand has had nerve damage so it's not as strong. Results have not been encouraging.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

I did read the entire post. My reply mentioned nothing about which hand to use, concentrating, as it did, on how to train your non-dominant eye.

Reply to
HeyBub

Stripped down, it would be lovely for cutting guitar fret slots. No need to tilt the blade or change the depth from 3/32". Could probably make such a tool for under $20, not counting the saw, and would, if my current homemade and overbuilt miterbox jig didn't work as well as it does.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Harbor freight supermagnets -- $2.00 for a pack of ten. Got any bits of scrap hardwood lying about, waiting to be made into a saw jig?

Reply to
Father Haskell