Sawing Large Pieces on Table Saw

I just had new floors (ceramic tile and hardwood) installed in our home. We previously had carpeting. Some doors now do not open all the way because of the added height of the new floors. I'd like to make a nice straight cut off the bottom of the doors and would appreciate some tips on how to do this safely on my table saw.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Larry Bohen

I'd go with a straight edge and best blade/circular saw you've got. You'd have to have a sled large enough to carry a door, if you went with the TS idea.

dave

Larry Bohen wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

use a couple of clamps, a straight piece of 2x4 and your circular saw.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Two clamps and a straight edge with a router or circualr saw....

If fact, look at making one of these:

will keep you from scratching up the face of the door.

Larry Bohen wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

It would be pretty tough to cut a small strip off the bottom of a door with a table saw unless maybe you had a sliding table or something. I've used a straight edge and a circular saw or jigsaw to do this. (Don't try with a cheap jigsaw, you'll need a high quality saw like a Bosch or Milwaukee, but most any circular saw whould be OK)

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Larry, The edge guide and circular saw is a winner. A few things to consider though:

Assuming your newly installed floor is level: Draw a line where you need to cut. Use a good square and make sure the line is perpendicular to the hinged door edge, (Less abuse, more likely the straightest) If you know you door is racked or your floor by the door id unlevel, scribe the bottom of the door using an appropriately sized block of wood or a compass(dividers with a pencil on one side).

Make sure you use your straight edge and scribe the line with a sharp utility knife on the "show" side. Use a good sharp blade. If you leave the line you could sneak up on it with a belt sander or hand plane.

Good luck, Myx

Reply to
Myxylplyk

If your interior doors are hollow like ours, wont cutting a strip off the bottom create an opening in the bottom of the door?

Reply to
stoutman

Clamp a straight edge on the door and use a circular saw. Score the cut line with a utility knife to prevent chipping or put a piece of tape over the cut line.

Reply to
BeerBoy

It depends on how much you take off. For most adjustments there is plenty of solid wood in the bottom rail to trim the door to fit.

Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM

If it is a hollow core dore than pull that strip of wood out by gently prying the outer layer up, cut the door, and reglue the wood edging. If solid door use the straight edge circular saw route. That is how I cut my new pine doors - use a 60 to 80 tooth plywood blade for a most excellent cut with very little tear out.

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

.. or use the circular saw to get a rough cut, slightly proud of the desired length, then use the aforementioned straight-edge and a straight router bit -- You'll get a better quality edge.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

:)

dave

FOW wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Larry:

You've gotten a lot of good advice, but no one reminded you of the first rule: "Honey, in order to do that for you, I need a new tool."

The tool here is one of the most handy things you will ever get. I don't remember the name, but someone will help me out I'm sure. The tool is a straight edge with built in clamps. They come in various lengths. I have a long one for clamping on the 4' dimension of plywood and another that spans a 2' board.

Gene

Reply to
Gene