Sawing cherry plywood

Hi Folks,
I have a project that calls for 3/4 cherry plywood for side, top and bottom panels edged with solid cherry. I am concerned about any splintering at the plywood edges as this would really look terrible. I will probably use a circle saw to get the larger panels cut close to size and then, after applying the front exposed edging I will make the cross cuts on a table saw with a sled. Any advice????
--
Joseph Crowe

: Hi Folks, : : I have a project that calls for 3/4 cherry plywood for side, top and : bottom panels edged with solid cherry. I am concerned about any : splintering at the plywood edges as this would really look terrible. I : will probably use a circle saw to get the larger panels cut close to : size and then, after applying the front exposed edging I will make the : cross cuts on a table saw with a sled. Any advice???? : : -- : Joseph Crowe : Masking take on the final cut line. Good side up
Cut your piece a bit oversized. Then clamp a straight edge to the correct length. Use a flush cut bit on your router and follow the straight edge. This will give you a beautiful results.
Try it, it's the best way i've found to do it.

Make sure to use a high tooth count blade, even better if it is a blade made for plywood. If cutting on a table saw, which I prefer, put the good side up and make sure to set the blade so the teeth and gullets come completly out of the board. You can also put masking tape right down the center of where you are going to cut and this will help minimize or elimate chip out. The only reason I prefer the table saw is faster setup. A circular saw and a straight edge can work just as good but it takes much longer to setup for good square cuts. Finally, do lots o' practice cuts until you have a good system worked out.