Sawdust inside carrying case of new PC 557?

Page 2 of 2
<<Might be a new tool or could be a resealed box. The store have a gizmo. that is used to wrap plastic strapping zip-ties around boxes for security purposes. I bought a rotozip as a birthday present "sealed". When opened bits gone and had been used.>>
Mine had those two white plastic bands wrapped around the cardboard outer packaging and also had a small black zip-tie securing the plastic case.
Lee

There are customers who buy a tool, use it, and return it, taking care to make the packaging appear unopened. I have seen too much of that in the past seven years working in a tool corral.

It's called free rental.
People did this to my buddy's musical instrument and equipment store all the time. They would buy something like a wireless transmitter for that special showcase gig, and return it on Monday. This practice is also why the bicycle shop I work at part time will not accept a return on a bike You can swap it for a different one, but we won't take it back. We had college students doing this when they'd come to town for two to three week summer courses.
I know some local tool dealers that operate with a similar policy. Used tools can be exchanged for the same tool, the same tool in a different brand, or a slightly different tool in the same family (like a palm sander for a small ROS). This forces the free rental folks to deal with the BORGs.
Barry
After posting my message this morning I called the Home Depot where I bought the joiner and asked for the Tool Corral. The man who answered is actually someone who is on the ball as I recognized his voice from having spoken to him in the store. I wanted to see if they had another joiner in stock that may not have been on the shelf or in their overhead storage but sure enough the one I bought was the very last one in the store. After reading the posts here I now know that there should have been a zip tie of some sort around the cardboard outer wrapper and the plastic case (there wasn't on the one I bought). Looking at the box now I can see where one should have been. Since others here have posted that their's were pristine coming out of the box I have to assume that this was a return that was put back on the shelf or that someone in the store was playing around with it. I don't want to take any chances with my new baby. The store has some on order and if that order is filled they should arrive on the 27th so I will return this one for an unopened one hopefully within a week. I can only pray that it will be as easy as going to customer service and exchanging it without having the spend excess amounts of time or having to talk to ten people to get the problem fixed. My blood pressure has a tendency to rise when dealing with the BORG. Thanks for all the feedback. Happy Holidays.
Dale

it shouldn't be that tough.
be glad your return isn't being handled by Amazon. I'm into an hour, plus, of my time trying to get a return label for an item that arrived broken. called amazon and whoopee, the item is no longer available. customer service gal tells me I should get an email with a label I can print for UPS to pick up the package for return shipment. No email. make another call to amazon and this time the guy says he'll send one by snail mail, after Christmas. So now I get to search the local stores for a duplicate item and pay about $15 more, to boot! Thank you, Amazon for not packing the item properly!
rant off!
dave
Dale wrote:

same thing used to happen with stores that sold typewriters. folks would buy typewriters for resumes and term papers and then return them to the store with some excuse about not liking it and then getting a full refund as soon as their "one of" project was complete. I heard about that from a local electronics store employee.
dave