Sawdust inside carrying case of new PC 557?

Page 1 of 2
I just ran down to the local BORG and took advantage of the 20% off sale (to go with $30 PC rebate) to buy a Porter Cable 557 plate joiner. They only had one left on the shelf and no others in stock. I bought the one and didn't think to open the case and look at it in the store, just wanted to get out of the store as I can't stand crowds. Upon opening the case at home I discovered that inside the case there was sawdust (looks like particle board) and the tool obviously has been used judging by the fine coat of sawdust around the blade area. Is this from testing done by the manufacturer or did someone in the store decide to use it? I'm wondering if I should hassle with returning this one and wait for a replacement or just not worry about it and go ahead and use the tool. Anyone else have the experience of sawdust inside the case of this tool when purchased new?
Dale
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) wrote:

Mine was absolutely pristine when I opened the case. No dust anywhere. Most likely, someone bought it, used it, and returned it for a refund. No way would I accept that.
I had that exact problem TWICE lately. Once was even with that exact plate joiner. I had also gotten a Bosch jigsaw. The jigsaw was even worse, as it had a blade installed AND 2 packs of blades in the case (one already opened). I kept the blades and returned both tools and repurchased ones with their cases still factory sealed.
danh

Keep the joiner go back and demand a reasonable discount and the same warranty,have the manager sign your sales slip that he sold you a used tool.If he doesn't want to comply ask for a new one. I'd settle for 40% off

why should the manager give 40% off when he can just send it back to PC?? Every customer could pull that one: claim an item had been used and DEMAND a huge discount. Retailers aren't that naive.
dave
Dan Parrell wrote:

who said they were naive,but they're not all are as accusing as you Dave there are store managers who are willing to negotiate,perhaps I was a little to stern on the demand thingy.You did here one guy get a rebate for used equipment,don't be a scrooge. It's Christmas Ebenezer :)

My 557 was pristine from the BORG a year or so ago. The bummer is that yours was the last one, so it's decision time.
After finding items missing out of supposedly unopened boxes far too many times at the BORGs, (HVLP sprayer comes immediately to mind), I routinely make a salesperson open the box and inventory the items BEFORE I head for the one on duty cashier. The same *ssholes that cut you off in traffic and routinely run red lights and stop signs these days see nothing wrong with helping themselves to parts out boxes.
They, along with the designers of "tear here" and plastic bubble-on-cardboard packaging, should have a special place in hell.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/18/03
I had that exact problem TWICE lately. Once was even with that exact plate joiner. I had also gotten a Bosch jigsaw. The jigsaw was even worse, as it had a blade installed AND 2 packs of blades in the case (one already opened). I kept the blades and returned both tools and repurchased ones with their cases still factory sealed.
danh

yeah...we heard...when you posted the same thing 38 minutes earlier...
danh wrote:

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

Alot of meanness going on latley.:>)

Tony D. thus spake:

Stuttering too... <g>
Greg G.
Alot of meanness going on latley.:>)

replacement
Last year, during HD's yellow tag sale, I saw a Bosch ROS that was about 30% off. Needing one, I snagged the only one they had. The box was ripped and it was obviously used (the used sandpaper attached to it clued me in). I talked to the toll dept. manager. We plugged it and made sure it worked and then I asked them how much additional they were going to take off because it was used. Without hesitation, she dropped another 20% off the price. So, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Jo
My 557 was clean, but I've gotten well used Freud Forstner bits from HD. They aren't that expensive, but some lowlife has to use one and then return it for a refund and it get put back on the shelf.
dave
Dale wrote:

On 21 Dec 2003 10:09:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) wrote:

Return it. It should be sold as a "reconditioned" tool, not a brand new tool.
even a "reconditioned" tool wouldn't have sawdust all over it. It should be like new, but it has been returned to the factory for inspection and/or repair and then sent back into the retail market with a "reconditioned" designation.
dave
Phisherman wrote:

Dave,     On a side note, do you remember the yellow sheet of paper that came with the 733? It stated that sawdust was normal,a s they factory test them before shipment.
I can only imagine how many came back before they started sticking that yellow paper in there.
Barry
Dale,
Just bought one yesterday from HD. After reading your post, I checked mine (even though it is suppose to be a Christmas present) and found that the cardboard cover over the plastic case is connected to the case with a plastic cable tie. It looks like it is supposed to be sealed this way. I decided not to open it any further!
Bill

Might be a new tool or could be a resealed box. The store have a gizmo. that is used to wrap plastic strapping zip-ties around boxes for security purposes. I bought a rotozip as a birthday present "sealed". When opened bits gone and had been used.

mine