Saw Stop would have prevented this

Page 5 of 10
On 4/21/13 2:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

The survival referred in the 2nd Amendment isn't talking about animals, it's talking about defending oneself.
That's an all to common misconception.
--

-MIKE-

Mike, I don't dispute the value (and the need) of the 2nd Amendment at the time that it was created. I'm quite sure that firearms were a necessary tool for survival.
I'm just of the opinion that those times are gone for the most part. And sure, there's always going a criminal element around where having a firearm to protect oneself is a good thing. But, it's just not the same now as it was. In the end, I'm not looking to ban guns. I just think they should be a little more controlled.
Although, with the apparent increase in terrorism I hear about these days, an armed society might be a necessary evil. In any event, as a Canadian citizen, I think we're lucky to be a major trading partner and close friend to the most powerful country on the planet.
Don't think that I don't appreciate it.
On 4/21/13 4:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Times are no different, imo. The guns are different and so is the need to have the same weapons as your enemy and the criminal element in our society.

Unfortunately, there's an element in power in our own (US) government who has no qualms expressing their concern to ban guns, entirely.

That's a telling statement. :-) I don't see an armed society as an evil, but i get what you're saying.

In any case, I appreciate your honest debate is all this. We should be able to vigorously debate these things without diving over them.
--

-MIKE-

On 4/21/2013 4:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Once the government gets into controlling guns, it is a slippery slope.
And then you are at the mercy of waiting on local law enforcement to protect you.
"Leon" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- Guess the Dallas DA, his wife and his deputy DA found that out, even though the DA maintained a loaded arsenal in his home.
Lew
"Leon" wrote in message
Once the government gets into controlling guns, it is a slippery slope.
And then you are at the mercy of waiting on local law enforcement to protect you. ================================================================Who are under no obligation to do so.
On 4/21/2013 3:51 PM, Leon wrote:

"Gun control" isn't about controlling guns, or even controlling criminals. It's about government control of law-abiding citizens - the very thing the 2nd Amendment is there to safeguard against. There's your slippery slope.
On 4/22/2013 9:30 AM, Just Wondering wrote:

Glad you understood that.
Leon wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Just Wondering wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ What I find so absolutely humorous is that the gov't has already taken away some of those rights of "law-abiding citizens" with out so much as a whimper.
It's called the Patriot Act.
All this hoopla about gun owner's rights is coming straight from the firearms dealers and manufacturers using the NRA as it's spokesman.
As the old saying goes, "Follow the money".
Lew

What rights of law-abiding citizens has the Patriot Act taken away? Be specific, and cite sources of fact.
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:04:07 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Doug, without going into a lot of details, just the fact that several provisions have already been declared unconstitutional should serve as some measure of proof.
And you might want to read the "controversy" section of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act#Controversy
carrying a cross.
"Doug Miller" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- You lazy son of a bitch.
Get up off your dead and dying ass and do your own research.
<Hint>
Might start by reading the Patroit Act itself.
Lew

In other words... you don't know of any.
Figures that the only response you could manage was name-calling. Grow up, Lew.

"National Security Letters" plain and simple violation of the 4th amendment.
It's funny how all the 2nd amendment supporters seem to forget about the 1st, 4th and 5th amendments.
scott
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in

The 4th Amendment prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures, not all searches and seizures -- which leaves it up to a court to determine what's reasonable and what's not.

It's funny how people pontificate about the Constitution without having actually read it -- or read things that aren't there.
"Scott Lurndal" wrote:

----------------------------------------------- Careful now, don't want to load them down with too much homework.
Lew
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:27:42 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Is that anything like replyiing with some insult like "Take your meds"?
You're a hypocritical asshole.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in

Pot, kettle, black -- in your world, it's OK for you to insult me, but not for me to insult you in return?
Grow up, Dave.
On 4/22/2013 9:14 AM, Leon wrote:

Many gun control advocates do not.
"-MIKE-" wrote:

A background check as well as prohibiting convicted felons and the mentally ill from legitimate firearms possession is NOT banning guns from the general public.
The NRA is lying thru their teeth to manipulate public opinion.
Lew