Saw Stop would have prevented this

Page 3 of 10

Knives have a considerable amount of use other than killing people. As do your hammers and many other objects that have been used to kill people.
Guns are pretty much a single use item.

I didn't mention other amendments. You keep trying to inject other variables into this discussion.

Your creator? You mean your father? Surely, you can't be talking about God? Did God give you something? Wow, you're a lucky guy.
A man or men gave it to you. Men are not perfect and times are different now than 300 years ago.

Oh well, I guess that's a good a reason as any to end this discussion. But, since God gave you the 2nd Amendment, perhaps he can also give you a sense of humour?
:)
On 4/19/13 12:21 AM, Dave wrote:

So what? How is that relevant? It's not.

I'm discussing the rights granted in the US Constitution. The authors believe our rights were granted by God, not by man, therefor they shouldn't be taken away by man.

Which is exactly why I brought up the 2nd Amendment. Time are different now. BTW, I don't believe times are different. Men have been trying to kill other men for millennia.

--

-MIKE-

It's not even true, and only someone who knows nothing about guns would think that it is.
Guns, like knives, "have a considerable amount of use other than killing people." Mostly, I use mine for deer hunting, somewhat less often to hunt small game. I also use them for target shooting. When we lived in the country, I used them for vermin control and to protect livestock from predators.
And once I drew a pistol in self-defense.
My brother has used his defensively twice: once to defend himself, and once when he walked into a public restroom and saw a knife-point robbery in progress.
Neither I nor my brother has ever killed a person. Neither one of us even fired our weapons in those situations; simply making the adversary aware that we were armed was enough.
On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:44:08 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

I said that Guns are pretty much a single use item. That statement includes people or animals.
As far as my stating that guns were mostly a single use item, it was intended to say that guns are used for killing, whether it be man OR animal. So, it is true.
This is the second time you've accused my of lying you asshole and I'm not going to put up with your bullshit any more.
I've never used or needed a firearm for self defense, but I did own and use six or so rifles and handguns for target shooting for about a dozen years.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote in

No, it's not. They're also useful for target shooting, and for self-defense. My brother and I have both used them defensively without killing anyone.

You made a statement that is obviously not true, and I pointed that out. If that makes you a liar and me an asshole for pointing it out, so be it.

Make up your mind! "Guns are pretty much a single use item ... for killing" or "I did own and use ... [guns] for target shooting". Which is it?
On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 22:46:03 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

"Pretty much" allows for some variable in the statement. So GFY.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote in

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:03:56 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Go Fuck Yourself, Asshole.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in

On 4/18/2013 11:21 PM, Dave wrote:

is to propel a projectile at high speed. It is not true that the single purpose of propelling that projectile is to cause the death of a living thing, which is what must "single use" arguments claim. Defensive weapons have another purpose, which is to prevent violence by their mere presence. And firearms have other uses besides the utilitarian ones. Many of them are works of art and excellence in craftsmanship to be admired in their own right. And owning one can in and of itself be a political statement and a form of free speech. There, I've already listed at least four uses right off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.
"Just Wondering" wrote in message
On 4/18/2013 11:21 PM, Dave wrote:

is to propel a projectile at high speed. It is not true that the single purpose of propelling that projectile is to cause the death of a living thing, which is what must "single use" arguments claim. Defensive weapons have another purpose, which is to prevent violence by their mere presence. And firearms have other uses besides the utilitarian ones. Many of them are works of art and excellence in craftsmanship to be admired in their own right. And owning one can in and of itself be a political statement and a form of free speech. There, I've already listed at least four uses right off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. ==============================================================================Trap shooting. Beats video games by far. Pest control. When I was growing up, pest control was my job. Guns were a big part of that.
On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 00:13:54 -0400, Dave wrote:

I've been staying out of this one because it's a waste of time. But that statement was just too much. It's true only if you believe that freedom is out of date in today's society. Of course, considering we didn't rise up in revolt when the so-called Patriot Act was passed, maybe it is.
carrying a cross.
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

Between that and all the Executive Orders coming out of the White House it sure does make you wonder... The mass warrantless searches of homes underway in the Boston area don't sit too well either.

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned the use of military helicopters in Boston. Why military and not news and police choppers? Also, the forefathers were smart enough to make free speech the first priorty and the right to defend that right second
[...]

Actually, the very first right enumerated is freedom of religion, not speech.

Actually, and/or. And isn't freedom of religion part and parcel to free speech?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
"ChairMan" wrote in message

The "official" word coming out of the press is that they are being used only as transport for officials... not sure what all those code words really mean!

Stilll sounds hokey to me. They could easily be shuttled with regular choppers. I agree with you on the "code" words. Who knows?<shrug>

transport during emergencies. They are often used during mountain and wilderness rescues. I talked to a national guard helicopter pilot about this once. He said that they consider it a good training exercise and are happy to help out. I think it really boils down to where they want to spend the money. When you consider that all of Boston area cops are working 12 hour shifts now and many of them are working beyond that without pay, where do they come up with funds to pay for some very expensive aircraft flying time and pilots? Having some other government agency step in and help defray the considerable expense seems like a win/ win situation for everybody. It isn't like the military copter are flying combat missions and shooting missiles at civilians. They are providing eyes in the sky and taxi service during a civil emergency. It is totally a support function.
I fail to see how that is not a good thing. It is good we have those resource available during a time of civil emergency. And if an act of domestic terrorism is not a civil emergency, I don't know what is.
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------- Think it comes under the "hot pursuit" option.
Lew