Saw Stop would have prevented this

"A man found in a pool of blood at a home improvement store in West

> Covina after he purposefully attempted to cut his arms with handsaws > remained in critical condition Thursday morning, authorities said." >
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What idiots! One (idiot #1) doesn't save idiots (idiot #2) as that. You let them die (off).

Stay tuned. We may see idiot #2 running for public office, soon.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Obviously a disturbed person. Must'a been the chain jerking gas prices that sent him over the edge.

Reply to
Leon

Don't give Gass any ideas! It is bad enough he wants to go after all the table saws. We don't want him to go after hand saws too. Where does it end? :(

Reply to
Lee Michaels

We need to demand that Home Depot and other stores lock up their saws and conduct mandatory background checks on anyone wishing to handle or purchase one... if it saves just one life it is worth it. Andrew Cuomo and Chuck Schumer can help them spend millions to operationalize the process and procedures. Write your Congressional representatives and Senators now! Who knows how to set up a MoveOn.org petition? ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The solution, of course, is background checks on anyone wanting to enter a bigbox home store. Then, of course, we'll need to TSA -- tool safety admin istration -- and the requisite pat downs. "Is that a hammer in your pocket or are you just happy to be here?"

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Write your Congressional representatives and Senators now! Who

Saws don't saw people, people saw people.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Considering that someone just attacked some people in a school with a knife, I expect the anti knife legislation will come first.

Just when we thought it was safe to carry a small knife on an aircraft..........

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Considering that someone just attacked some people in a school with a knife, I expect the anti knife legislation will come first.

Just when we thought it was safe to carry a small knife on an aircraft.......... ====================================================================== Mario Cuomo, when governor of NY, gave a speech regarding a high profile murder where the victim was stabbed to death. He said that was proof that we needed stricter gun control. I wonder what kind of gun the victim was stabbed with.

Reply to
CW

Rifle with a bayonet? :)

Reply to
Dave

Rifle with more than a 10 bayonet clip.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Of course, no-one died in this attack.

Reply to
scritch

But many children have died in China in recent years in similar knife attacks at schools... By statute they and other locations have become relatively safe places for madmen to cause mayhem.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:10:37 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

Right. Let's use that as a reason to equip everybody including teachers with firearms.

The problem with guns is that you can't outrun a bullet and it's pretty hard to fight off someone if they're aiming a gun at you. With someone holding a knife, you might be able to stay out of their reach or at the very least, have a much better chance of fighting them off.

Reply to
Dave

Ever hear of the "21 foot rule?" Anyone armed with a knife whom is that distance from you can inflict serious physical injury upon you, that may be lethal, and do this before you could draw and shoot them. A motivated assailant can do a lot of damage... and some can do it from from more than

21 feet away.
Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I knife will never be used for mass killings like a gun. Take away the gun and the guy then uses a pipe bomb.

Reply to
Leon

Fertilizer and diesel fuel is much more effective - as witnessed in Oklahoma City. Mass murderers find the most effective means for their ugly twisted deeds. Unfortunately, they are very adaptable.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Come on. You're really going to compare home made bombs to gun shootings? Pipe bombs, fertilizer bombs might be effective, but still they're still another animal and not really in the same ball park. The terror of someone walking along shooting people isn't matched by your home made bombs.

It's easier to obtain guns (and use them) than your home made bombs, otherwise you'd be hearing of many more domestic bombings in the news.

In the end, the knowledge needed to obtain and shoot a firearm is much less than that needed for bomb making.

Reply to
Dave

Take away guns and you will find out. And for that matter several days ago a college student went walking through a school campus in Cyprus TX and stabbed a dozen or more people. Since he was 6 he fantasized about what it would be like to stab some one with a knife.

Actually guns are much harder to obtain. Home Depo has every thing you need to make a pipe bomb and much cheaper than buying a gun.

The real problem are the people that want to kill other people. IMHO this has become more of a problem when we decided to blame others for why Johnny is a murderer. Compared to 50 years ago the consequences of behavior that leads up to tragic results are now a slap on the hand and or sensitivity training for the normal people. Simply put you don't fix the problem by taking away the rights of every one to keep the menace from killing people, you treat the menace in a manor to actually discourage such behavior with out regard to whose "feelings" are going to be hurt.. And the parents are as much to blame as anyone.

Perhaps an atomic bomb but not a Molotov Cocktail.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly! When you dumb down the system so that every one wins it becomes hard to recognize the losers.

Reply to
Leon