Saw Stop - Oregon

Page 3 of 4
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:12:45 -0500, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski"

If it keeps the rest of the class (and everyone each of them knows) safer for the rest of all their lives, HELL YES!
Tough love.
P.S: I'm still waiting for one of the punks to say "Oh, this tablesaw can't hurt me, huh? We'll see about that."
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools." Herbert Spencer, 1891
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:51:43 -0800 (PST), the infamous RonB

They've gone up? They used to be "only" double the price of an expensive saw. That effin', greedy, bastard attorney. (Yes, I'm being redundant there.) And that brainless oaf, Stearns, playing right into the other's hands. Sickening.

All the graduates will get nicknames within 2 years. 'Lefty', 'Stubby', or 'Stumpy', I guess.
-- I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. -- John Adams
snip
"Two of them have been in John Stearns' woodshop class at Amity High School. Stearns applied for grants to pay for two SawStop saws in 2008, which cost $7,400, about three times the price of other brands. "I would pay twice as much for those saws to keep my kids from losing their fingers," Stearns said. "Those two kids walked away without a scratch. That's amazing. I don't know if I would go back to any other saw."
I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop class are not going to be scared enough. It used to piss me off when my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.
I think you are perhaps thinking that knowing that the blade will not cut your digits off will also not be scary. I highly suspect that the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to be intemidating.

By the time I got to shop class, I'd injured myself enough with hand tools to be leery of anything connected to the power grid. Particularly since I'd also had a couple electric shocks by then also. :(
I highly suspect that the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to be intimidating.
I would like to think so. But remember, we have a lot of high school shop class aged folks who are not intimidated by driving a 3,500 car at 65 mph while texting.
RonB.
wrote: I highly suspect that the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to be intimidating.
I would like to think so. But remember, we have a lot of high school shop class aged folks who are not intimidated by driving a 3,500 car at 65 mph while texting.
But the saw stop technology does not stop kick back which is still a real thread if the riving knife is not used, like during a dado operation.

Does the SawStop work at all with a dado blade or dado set?

From <http://www.sawstop.com/howitworks/sawstop_whitepaper.pdf :
"The brake mechanism is shown in the drawing to the right. The arrow shows how the aluminum brake pawl pivots into the teeth of the blade. The brake pawl is part of a replaceable cartridge that includes the spring, fuse wire and electronics necessary to burn the fuse wire. An optional dado cartridge provides the same protection for dado cuts.
I wonder how easy it is to change to the dado blade set and cartridge?

I don't suppose they do a wobble blade.
On 3/16/2010 5:30 AM, LDosser wrote:

Supposedly changing to the dado cartridge is just a matter of changing the cartridge like you would do if the saw triggered, and since the major difference is that the dado cartridge is for a smaller diameter blade it should work fine with a wobble dado as long as it's 8" diameter.
wrote in message

Yes there is a special cartridge and the SawStop works even after you have turned the motor off. When I first learned about the SawStop about 10 years ago I inquired to see if it works during coast down. It does.
Leon wrote:

Interesting idea. Several years ago, our betters decreed that a washing machine must stop its spin cycle within just few seconds (I think three or five) after the lid is opened. Wonder why the safety mavens haven't decreed similar for table saws and the like?
Shhh! Don't tell anybody!

Courts awarded the plaintiff 1.5 million dollars in the case against Ryobi. No wonder this country is going in debt. Stupid is profitble.
Mike M
Nothing more than a self serving, liberal, pouring of perfumed altruistic spin on a pile of bullshit in an attempt to mask the stink of GREED.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Really now. I'd be interested to discover how you really feel. . . . *still laffin' me arse off*

I was unclear as well, Karl.
Care to elaborate?
*snort*
And for the rest of you, I do certainly hope that your kids are permanently hurt in a car wreck (kind of like getting fingers or hands cut off in a saw) to keep them safe in their later years. Since something like 93% of all car accidents are from careless errors, a maiming accident could be of real value. That would help teach the rest of the folks in your family (maybe even their friends!) about car safety. That in turn might help keep me and mine safe. Thanks!
Or maybe in a moment of teenage distraction (we KNOW that never happened to anyone here!) one of your children could lose half a hand in a saw and be the proud example of tough love to teach the other kids. That way he could go through life from age 16 a cripple. BUT.... he would really *understand* saw safety, so you know the price was right! After all, NO ONE should be allowed a lapse of reason or attention. Especially not a kid. And if he has his whole life in front of him, what could be better than to lose a hand early on to give a lesson that would last a lifetime?
I can see a lot of good sense to being maimed to show tough love. I don't personally know anyone that wouldn't want their kids to be in as safe an environment as possible, but I applaud the kick ass sonofabitches HERE that are glad to see the children of others sacrificed to make them satisfied. No moral or ethical standard can be too high when someone else is paying the freight, right?
Following your logic, as long as you tough love hard asses toe the line at nothing, you could make this world a lot safer. Make sure you follow this through though, and make sure your families are in this with all safety devices in their everyday lives.. When a dumb, silly, or careless mistake costs an eye, an arm, a hand, or a life (theirs or someone else's) make sure you pat them on the back let them know it was for their own good!
While I don't want to lose a body part or function of one to make a point, I would be more than glad to hear or better yet see any permanent, crippling or at least debilitating damage that you guys have that you felt was particularly helpful in your personal development. This doesn't have to be woodworking related.
I would love to see a proudly displayed stump of yours or maybe a family member that you (and them) feel that the lesson learned from a second of inattention or simple bad judgment was worth the price paid.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Robert
Swingman wrote:

"Greed" is good. As one great worthy of antiquity said: "If not for greed, no man would marry, build a home, or father a child."
If anything, it is the RESULT of some greed that is bad, not the inclination itself.

IOW, Money is not the root of all evil... the love for it is.
Robatoy wrote:

Nope. The evil is solely in the methods and effects of following your heart. Many a woman marries for the love of money, to the gratification of all involved.