Saw Stop - Oregon

How about that.

Reply to
Leon

Unions are ruining this country used to be true 20-30 years ago. Now, they have actually succeeded to help ruin the economy.

Reply to
Leon

Ironically, I have a neighbor that has lots of famly in the Michigan area and for generations have made their living with one of the Big 3. They are now out of jobs, in rough shape, and have indicated that they have no one to blame but themselves. They let the Union take care of them all these years and never really learned how to survive on a wage that their skills were actually worth.

Reply to
Leon

Shop classes have been being eleminated long, long, long before the more expensive safety equipment was introduced.

Reply to
Leon

I would like to think so. But remember, we have a lot of high school shop class aged folks who are not intimidated by driving a 3,500 car at 65 mph while texting.

But the saw stop technology does not stop kick back which is still a real thread if the riving knife is not used, like during a dado operation.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC, lawyers were at the heart of the decision to turn down the technology. Paraphrasing: "If you put this technology in some of your saws, then you are admitting that the rest are inherently dangerous." What frosted me was that the fine folks at SawStop tried to use the Consumer Product Safety folks to jam this down our throats.

Neither side was right; consumers get hosed; typical state of affairs.

As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the wallet -- just like real life.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

"hex" wrote

Now there's a worthwhile suggestion.

Max

Reply to
Max

The trouble is it ends up a pain in Daddy's wallet because most kids don't have that much money that they've earned.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nothing wrong with that. Daddy can then extract his pound...

Reply to
keithw86

IIRC, lawyers were at the heart of the decision to turn down the technology. Paraphrasing: "If you put this technology in some of your saws, then you are admitting that the rest are inherently dangerous." What frosted me was that the fine folks at SawStop tried to use the Consumer Product Safety folks to jam this down our throats.

Well actually had the CPS gone with the suggestion of the SawStop technology you would not have had anything jamed down your throat. You would still be able to use your current saw or or any saw manufactured before the requirement. Or you simply do not buy a saw. It is your choice. Now if they made you buy a more expensive saw with the technology wheter you wanted to buy a saw or not, that would be another matter.

Neither side was right; consumers get hosed; typical state of affairs.

Agreed but after the smoke cleared all was well except for those manufacturers that did not or buy the technology or develope their own way to prevents cuts. And no, Saw Stop does not have a patent on every way to prevent a cut, perhaps just in stopping the blade or dropping the blade. Nothing to stop a manufacturer to come up with a new way to cut a board that would be less dangerious, like say how the Fein Multimaster cuts wood.

As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the wallet -- just like real life.

Actually that is a good idea with the prerequisite that the parents sign a consent form for the child to be in the class with the understanding of the dangers and expense of the engagement of a safety measure being used. The parents could in their more effective way explain to the child what it will cost him.

Reply to
Leon

...but in particular, the lawyers.

Reply to
krw

Apparently Not at Amity High School. And there are probably others.

Reply to
LDosser

Does the SawStop work at all with a dado blade or dado set?

Reply to
LDosser

From :

"The brake mechanism is shown in the drawing to the right. The arrow shows how the aluminum brake pawl pivots into the teeth of the blade. The brake pawl is part of a replaceable cartridge that includes the spring, fuse wire and electronics necessary to burn the fuse wire. An optional dado cartridge provides the same protection for dado cuts.

I wonder how easy it is to change to the dado blade set and cartridge?

Reply to
krw

Don't forget the big boys.

Here's the smoking gun(s):

o' links here:

line: Paulson and Bernanke are stinkers.

Reply to
Steve

I don't suppose they do a wobble blade.

Reply to
LDosser

Supposedly changing to the dado cartridge is just a matter of changing the cartridge like you would do if the saw triggered, and since the major difference is that the dado cartridge is for a smaller diameter blade it should work fine with a wobble dado as long as it's 8" diameter.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yes there is a special cartridge and the SawStop works even after you have turned the motor off. When I first learned about the SawStop about 10 years ago I inquired to see if it works during coast down. It does.

Reply to
Leon

Interesting idea. Several years ago, our betters decreed that a washing machine must stop its spin cycle within just few seconds (I think three or five) after the lid is opened. Wonder why the safety mavens haven't decreed similar for table saws and the like?

Shhh! Don't tell anybody!

Reply to
HeyBub

???