Saw Stop - Oregon

Page 1 of 4
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2010/03/sawstop_saw_brake_safety_devic.html
Some of the comments track remarkably with what has been said here.

This is absolutely frightening. That a small number of lawyers and liberal courts can make decisions like this.
Also frightening is the comment made by the high school teacher who has them in his shop.
"Two of them have been in John Stearns' woodshop class at Amity High School. Stearns applied for grants to pay for two SawStop saws in 2008, which cost $7,400, about three times the price of other brands. "I would pay twice as much for those saws to keep my kids from losing their fingers," Stearns said. "Those two kids walked away without a scratch. That's amazing. I don't know if I would go back to any other saw."
I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop class are not going to be scared enough. It used to piss me off when my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.
If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess what...............
RonB

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per unit and still make a nice return on their design.
Just wondering...
Steve

I see the problem.
"SawStop asks for licensing fees of 3 percent of the saw's wholesale price to start. As the device becomes more widespread, the fees could increase to 8 percent. The price of table saws range from $200 to several thousand dollars."
If he was closer to the 3% than the 8% it may fly, but adding a couple hundred bucks for the actual hardware and then 8% on top, the saw becomes uncompetitive.
wrote

On the other hand, if you customer base is not buying your product because it lacks this popular safety feature they also become uncompetitive. If the unions would bow out and let the manufacturers pay what the skill of putting together a TS is "actually" worth the company could pay the license fee and make a profit, probably a larger profit. If your productions costs are in excess to start with it is also very hard to be competitive.

Choice is a good thing. I have no issue with SawStop making that argument to consumers. They didn't succeed with their 100% margin over a Unisaw, though.

OTOH, the unions could force a higher wage and manufacturing might move to China. Oh, wait.

How about that.
Less that 15% of US manufacturing is union. This "unions are ruining manufacturing in this country" line that some like to harp on is just BS.

"CW" wrote:

Yabut it's such a convenient whipping boy.
Lew

How's GM working out for ya?

Ironically, I have a neighbor that has lots of famly in the Michigan area and for generations have made their living with one of the Big 3. They are now out of jobs, in rough shape, and have indicated that they have no one to blame but themselves. They let the Union take care of them all these years and never really learned how to survive on a wage that their skills were actually worth.

Unions are ruining this country used to be true 20-30 years ago. Now, they have actually succeeded to help ruin the economy.

Don't forget the big boys.
Here's the smoking gun(s):
http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2009/10/20/the-secret-paulson-goldman-meeting / http://www.zerohedge.com/article/repo-105-scam-how-lehman-fooled-everyone-including-allegedly-dick-fuld-and-how-other-banks-a http://lehmanreport.jenner.com / http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/business/13lehman.html?ref=business
Bunch
o' links here: http://www.metafilter.com/90063/Repo-Lehmen
Bottom line: Paulson and Bernanke are stinkers.
On 3/13/2010 9:51 PM, Steve wrote:

Lawyers are trained to view life as a "zero sum game" - for them there is no "win-win".
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Steve wrote:

Even before that. Ben Franklin did not patent the lightning rod, the Franklin stove, bifocals, the vehicle odometer, and, to bring it up to date, Daylight Savings Time, for exactly the same reason.

Well, there were no patents before 1790. ;-)

Actually before even attempting to build the SawStop the inventors did indeed offer the license to the other manufacturers. They of course having poor insight turnd down the offer.

You mean, having poor insight, they refused to pay their protection so had their business burned.
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:41:20 -0500, the infamous "Leon"

Did you see how he wanted to "share" that invention? Altruistic he AIN'T! MB he AIN'T!
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin