Saw Stop

Just thought about this as I'm getting ready to do a stir fry. I have some good cooking knives I really love to use as well as a mandolin. Is this going to effect how I go about preparing my meals. I can see where more people might starve it they couldn't afford saw stop technology.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Jealous?

I always use the conveient and safe vegtable holder with my mandolin and I always use all the safety equipment with my saw stop.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

No I've got a perfectly good unisaw, but if I was shopping for a new saw I would definitely look at a Saw Stop. Seems like a good saw, I just don't care for the way they have pursued some issues. If I had a business with employees I would want one. None the less sometimes the government get a little carried away with regulating to the lowest common denominator.

Reply to
Mike M

"Mike M" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:10:23 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Just a little background for any newcomers from the Winter 2004/2005 Fine Woodworking Tools and Shops Annual Issue page 66:

" When Stephen Gass first invented a device to detect contact between an operator and a moving saw blade and then stop the blade instantly (meaning within five-thousandths of a second), he figured all he had to do was offer it to saw manufacturers, and they'd be tripping over each other to buy it. It didn't work out that way. After the SawStop technology won the prestigious Challenger's Award at the IWF show in Atlanta in 2000, progress seemed to grind to a halt. Why? The answer to that question, like most stories, depends on whom you ask. I spent more then an hour on the phone with Gass and he gave me a truncated version of events from his perspective. Gass and hos partners showed prototypes of the device to more than a dozen table saw manufacturers and got as far as a signed license agreement with one of them before the deal fell apart. In April 2003 they (along with several hundred signatures in agreement) petitioned the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to initiate a ruling that would declare the technology a performance standard, the net effect of which would require manufacturers to put it on their saws. The CPSC has yet to make a formal ruling on that petition. None of the manufacturer representatives that I contacted would agree to let me use their names or go on the record with a response. But one of them told me the reluctance to adopt the technology is twofold: They believe the mechanism has been tested thoroughly enough, and the retooling costs would be enormous because they can't retrofit it to existing saws. He added that they also don't believe table saws are inherently unsafe, as long as consumers utilize the guards and splitters that come with the machine."

So this isn't a new issue by any means

Reply to
Bob Funk

When does the patent expire?

Reply to
JayPique

What he's saying is companies have been making the same saws, or different saws using the sampe parts, for decades - and they work and sell - so to make a saw-stop enabled saw would require a total re-engineering - a TOTALLY new saw - at quite a great expense - to fix a problem they do not believe is a serious problem.

Reply to
clare

Stephen Gass holds 89 patents, most of which have something to do with saw safety. The latest patent was issued April 19, 2010 and is for a miter saw with safety system. The last Saw Stop type patent that I see was issued April 30 2007. Patents last 20 years if maintenance payments are made.

Reply to
Bob Funk

Pay the man his money! I'd prefer not to look at a SS. Just make him go away.

Reply to
Bill

That's what I see him saying. Sorry you don't see the same.

Reply to
clare

According to the article linked to below, the Consumer Products Safety Commision is going to proceed in one way or another on this matter by Feb 12.

Bill

NPR?? I think i'll wait to hear it on CNN or some other mainstream news feed. thank you.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Maybe I'm the last one to read this (from the CPSC):

Bill

One interesting thing on this was I was wondering if this would go off into other sharp cuttng tools and it everyone stayed pretty focused on the Saw Stop and table saws. I understand some of what I wrote confuse people, I'm just wondering if this is a slippery slope. If I was buying a new cabinet saw and could afford it I would buy a saw stop.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Me too - except for the price and the issues with dado sets (which I use a lot). My Rigid TS3650 will have to do as I don't anticipate a few grand falling out of the sky anytime soon, and if it did there would be many other things that would gobble it up according to SWMBO aka the OL (OverLord).

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I hat issues have you heard about concerning dado sets? Are the dado cartridges not working correctly?

Reply to
Leon

LOL Please substitute" What" for "I hat" in the above post. Geez.

Reply to
Leon

Are you still up, or are you just tippling early today? ;)

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Trippling.

Reply to
Leon

Two times ...

Reply to
Swingman

Huh? You're a _three_ fisted drinker? Wow!