Saw Stop

Page 2 of 3
Mike wrote:

You have to compare it to a powermatic saw I think. It's that level of quality and refinement. Admitedly, not everyone can afford (or wants to afford) a saw that expensive. For me, I have to think long and hard about whether it's better to get a grizzly 12" saw with all the goodies and an overarm blade guard.
iirc, their contractor's saw is supposed to be around $1500. Still more than twice what a grizzly would cost.
It's a calculated risk that everyone has to decide to take or not.
For now, I'll use my dangerous delta contractor's saw the way it is until I can pay for an overarm blade guard.
brian

    --For me this was a second tablesaw: a replacement for a "make do" beater of a Rockwell contractor's saw; a much-anticipated upgrade. I looked at Delta, Powermatic and Jet before deciding that the Saw Stop was the best of all possible worlds. Remember you'll keep a tablesaw a *lot* longer than you'd keep a car for instance, so best to do it right, yes?

    --I don't think it was *that* much. Will have to go look at the reciept again I guess. Worth every penney tho..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Why do weekend projects
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : always last a month??

Last week I saw one in the Bay area, It is selling over $3K. The only downside; everytime the stop activated you will have to replace the cartridge and the saw blade.... Maybe, you finger is worth more than the cartridge and the blades?
.
Woodworker wrote:

$3400 or so with the 3 horse motor and the long fence rails.

Last I heard, they were replacing the cartridge for free if you sent them the fired one. Supposedly they're collecting data so that offer may have gone away or go away at any time.
And if you fire it more than once I seriously suggest a different hobby :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

    --Yah; one way I kept cost down was by taking the Biesmeyer fence off of my beater, so I didn't have to pay for that one again. I like the original better than Delta's new version of it. Pity they bought the company... Also the guy who mentioned the fairly high price said that he bought a pile of cartridges and I only bought one. I've got the single-phase motor; not sure if it's 3hp or not but I opted for a low-end power motor as I don't do enough work to justify paying top dollar there either. Yeah, still pricey but cheaper than fingers, yes? $3k would only buy me 2 month's worth of Blue Cross coverage, so thinking about it that way was a no-brainer, sigh...
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Why do weekend projects
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : always last a month??

    --Who said it costs $4k?? Not even half that IIRC. Not much more than a Delta: a pittance when you think about the potential downsides..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Why do weekend projects
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : always last a month??

If I were you, I'd buy up all the SawStops you can at <$2K and then turn around and sell them all easily at $2.9K, easily underselling everyone else, and turning a tidy profit for yourself.
Of course this fantasy fails on the initial premise--finding SawStops for even 150% of $2K.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 00:49:18 -0500, "<<<__ Bob __>>>"
[snip]

If they had any class, they would buy you one as a retirement thank you.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Damn good idea. :!)
brianlanning wrote:
<snip>

Ass-hat!?!?!
HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!
... he said ass-hat...
brianlanning wrote:

What's all this got to do with Robin's butt anyway? Does Lee Valley even sell these things? Inquiring minds bite.     twitch,     jo4hn
<snip>

Nope - we don't do the tailed stuff....
But we are just about done replacing every tablesaw we have with Saw Stop's.... we'll have 14 or 15 installed when done.
Cheers -
Rob

Sometimes.
and needs a new $80

Wrong
There's a switch that turns it off

The man who invented it is an ass-hat.
You have met him?

Reeeeeealy...
They all turned him down. Then he try to get it's use

Damn., The guy that was responsable for providing electricity to all of America must have been a member of the ass-hat club also.
Leon wrote:

Yep. He wanted 8% of the wholsale price of the saw. On a $2300 saw (Amazon's price on a PM66), that's $184. Plus, the mechanism itself was estimated to add about $150 to the price, so now the "safe" version of the saw costs at least $334 more.

If it was offered as an option from many manufacturers for $150 over the regular saw, I suspect there would be a lot of takers.
Trying to force companies to put it on every saw out there (at 8% per saw going to SawStop) is a whole different story.
Chris
wrote

The $2300 is not the wholesale price.
I wonder what every manufacturer has to pay in royalties for the current guards. You might be surprised what you pay for in the products you buy. If you ever bought a Pontiac TransAm, you paid extra for just the TramsAm name.
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:47:34 GMT, "Leon"

Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse thank you for making them members of the "ass-hat" club. ;)

I was surprised to learn recently that he ran a big scam to light up America that apparently made the Enron fiasco pale by comparison. Apparently he was penniless and had to go to trial but was forgiven by the jury since he did in fact light up America and ended up broke.
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:11:27 GMT, "Leon"

There was dirty dealing all around in the effort to "light up America." Edison, promoting his direct current system, charged (sorry) that Tesla's alternating current was dangerous and distributed literature showing electrocuted animals as examples. He conveniently failed to note that electrocution by DC was more than a remote possibility, as well. Note the signs in subway or elevated stations. The trains, in Chicago at least, run on DC, as I recall.
Edison's failed campaign, incidentally, eventually led to the development of the electric chair for executions of criminals.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Yeah, I recall that also. I got a short history lesson from my son's history professor last year during orientation.

there was a magazine last month or so that just did a review of them.
Summary.. the quality was good. On the cabinent saw, you pay roughly a $1000 premium. The "table" portion of the saw was roughly 3 inches longer, which is nice, IMO.
When the saw stop break engages, it destroys the break and the saw blade, but it saves your hand. Very favorable review. If you are interested, I can find the magazine and issue number.