Saw Stop

Typically your answers will be favorable form actual users and non favorable from those that do not own or use one. There are a lot of urban myths already about the saw. For your best information you should contact owners and the manufacturer for valid answers to your questions.

Reply to
Leon

$4000 for a table saw?!?!?! Holy cow, wish I had your budget...

Hell, I lost the end of a finger on my $500 saw. Surgery with insurance was nothing, few co-pays on visits, 9 fingers to go, I still think I'd come out ahead;+}

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

That price was for the industrial 3-phase version. iirc, the normal

220 version is about $3000.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Ooookaaaay...

$3000 for a table saw?!?!?! Holy cow, wish I had your budget...

Reply to
Mike

Yep. He wanted 8% of the wholsale price of the saw. On a $2300 saw (Amazon's price on a PM66), that's $184. Plus, the mechanism itself was estimated to add about $150 to the price, so now the "safe" version of the saw costs at least $334 more.

If it was offered as an option from many manufacturers for $150 over the regular saw, I suspect there would be a lot of takers.

Trying to force companies to put it on every saw out there (at 8% per saw going to SawStop) is a whole different story.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse thank you for making them members of the "ass-hat" club. ;)

Reply to
George Max

Magazine reviews look upon this saw quite favorably. In fact, I think the actual device is probably pretty nice.

My personal opinion is that I don't care for the method the inventor has chosen to get it into every shop in America. Were it not for his actions in doing that, I may have saved my money to get one.

As it is, I went ahead a bought a nice new saw that doesn't have the sawstop feature partly as my own "drop in the bucket" protest against the inventors actions. Of course it also matters that it was time for a new saw, not just some sort of statement.

Reply to
George Max

I think it was Popular Woodworking but I'm not going to go check. And yes, it saves your hand, if it was your hand that triggered it, but since tons of people report having it go off accidentally when their hands were not in danger, it gets pretty expensive. There's nothing wrong with the technology if you choose to use it, but when it's close to $200 out of pocket every time it goes off and most people, like me, have yet to cut anything off, just by being careful, it's questionable whether or not it's a good investment.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

The $2300 is not the wholesale price.

I wonder what every manufacturer has to pay in royalties for the current guards. You might be surprised what you pay for in the products you buy. If you ever bought a Pontiac TransAm, you paid extra for just the TramsAm name.

Reply to
Leon

I was surprised to learn recently that he ran a big scam to light up America that apparently made the Enron fiasco pale by comparison. Apparently he was penniless and had to go to trial but was forgiven by the jury since he did in fact light up America and ended up broke.

Reply to
Leon

You have to compare it to a powermatic saw I think. It's that level of quality and refinement. Admitedly, not everyone can afford (or wants to afford) a saw that expensive. For me, I have to think long and hard about whether it's better to get a grizzly 12" saw with all the goodies and an overarm blade guard.

iirc, their contractor's saw is supposed to be around $1500. Still more than twice what a grizzly would cost.

It's a calculated risk that everyone has to decide to take or not.

For now, I'll use my dangerous delta contractor's saw the way it is until I can pay for an overarm blade guard.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning
[snip]

If they had any class, they would buy you one as a retirement thank you.

Reply to
LRod

Damn good idea. :!)

Reply to
Leon

He probably saw the reference in Time magazine.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

There was dirty dealing all around in the effort to "light up America." Edison, promoting his direct current system, charged (sorry) that Tesla's alternating current was dangerous and distributed literature showing electrocuted animals as examples. He conveniently failed to note that electrocution by DC was more than a remote possibility, as well. Note the signs in subway or elevated stations. The trains, in Chicago at least, run on DC, as I recall.

Edison's failed campaign, incidentally, eventually led to the development of the electric chair for executions of criminals.

Reply to
LRod

Yeah, I recall that also. I got a short history lesson from my son's history professor last year during orientation.

Reply to
Leon

Nope - we don't do the tailed stuff....

But we are just about done replacing every tablesaw we have with Saw Stop's.... we'll have 14 or 15 installed when done.

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lee

Reminds me of the Leigh dovetail jigs.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Gee ... where would the wRec be without opinion trumping experience? ;)

Reply to
Swingman

--Who said it costs $4k?? Not even half that IIRC. Not much more than a Delta: a pittance when you think about the potential downsides..

Reply to
steamer