Saw sharpening

I have a general hand wood saw and is there a way of sharpening it or do I throw it away and buy a new one

Reply to
David Gethin

If you decide to buy a new one, keep the old metal for making tools (scrapers, knives, etc.).

Reply to
Phisherman

Here's one of the best guides around

don't know "General" brand. But modern saws are induction hardened (the tips of the teeth are dark) and can't be sharpened. OTOH, one of these saws costs about the same as a saw file, and you can give the remaining steel to BAD to make a cabinet scraper from.

Sharpening an old saw takes a while, but it isn't really that hard, and it's nice to make a real nasty old wreck cut well again.

Andy Dingley

That depends on what your saw is worth. If it's relatively new and you can replace it with the same thing at a lesser cost than sharpening, then buy a new one. If the saw is old then it's a more difficult to say. Your saw could be worth quite a bit more than a new saw or the cost to sharpen it. If you post some details about your saw (mfgr, approx age, length, TPI, etc) then others here with more knowledge than I can give you some direction.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

It will do a better job of cutting than it did new if it can be sharpened. You can also buy Disston saws on E-bay for a few dollars. I have three saws that cost less than $15 a piece including shipping charges. I assure you that if you have one of those sharpened and properly set, it will do a great job. I've learned to sharpen and set my own. It is satisfying to take an old tool and make it good again. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Except the ones that aren't (most).

OTOH, one of