Saw Set?

The current FWW has an article on hand saw sharpening that's grabbed my interest. In the article, a tool known as a "Saw Set" is mentioned. The only example of this tool I can find for sale is at Garrett Wade. A few questions:
Does anyone know where else to get a saw set?
Brand names to seek or avoid?
Can you add any other information?
Thanks! Barry
Haunt garage sales and flea markets. They turn up pretty frequently, and the old ones were made durable enough to last several lifetimes. I have an old one and a 'modern' one. The old one is lots easier to use and adjust. I think Stanley may still make them. That's what my 'new' one is. Bugs
Bugs wrote:

They appear to come in different sizes. How would I know what I'm looking at?
Thanks, Barry
I don't know how I got a doubled post, but to answer your question: saws come in a wide range of tooth sizes, from crosscut saws with 1" teeth down to razor saws. A good saw set will be adjustable to handle most of the sizes but most cheaper sets will only work in a limited range for handsaws. Bugs
Bugs wrote:

Thanks!
Ebay is where I got mine.
B a r r y wrote:

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:
Haunt garage sales and flea markets. They turn up pretty frequently, and the old ones were made durable enough to last several lifetimes. I have an old one and a 'modern' one. The old one is lots easier to use and adjust. I think Stanley may still make them. That's what my 'new' one is. Bugs
Bugs wrote:

Good advice. My favorite is A Taintor's Positive #7, but the Stanley is pretty good as well. I don't think the Stanley is still made and I know the Taintors isn't. Here's one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Taintors-Positive-7-Saw-Set_W0QQitemZ6244839691QQcategoryZ4123QQcmdZViewItem
From that picture, I can't tell if anything is missing, but the fact the spring is still there is encouraging.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:37:42 -0800, Larry Blanchard wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taintors-Positive-7-Saw-Set_W0QQitemZ6244839691QQcategoryZ4123QQcmdZViewItem
I bought it.
Bill

<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p2956&cat=1,43072,43086>
djb
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
B a r r y wrote:

Hi Barry,
The saw set I use came from Highland Hardware:
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID 8
This set covers the point size that you'd typically use when sharpening dovetail or other fine backsaws. They also sell the fine Nicholson triangular files that you'd need (note: I've heard that Sandvik files are better than Nicholson, but I've never been able to find a source for Sandvik extra and xx slim files).
Lee Valley also has a saw set, but it only goes to 12ppi, which is a bit coarse for most backsaws.
Sharpening and setting your own is pretty easy and very rewarding, especially for a rip pattern. I learned how using the instructions at Vintage Saws, http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html
Good luck, Nate
Thanks to everyone for the great info!
Barry

There are ususally several used models in various conditions available on ebay at any given time. I got a nice plier-type made by Millers Falls a few years ago. For the older ones, Stanley, Millers Falls, and Disston are a few of the more common names.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland